Preview AFL NAB Cup Round 4 - Geelong v Western Bulldogs, Simonds Stadium, 3:00PM Saturday 17 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only the players in serious contention for round 1 will be selected. It should be close to a near full strength team, barring the injured players.

Edit: good to see we get another chance to test the wind conditions at our home ground again.

The Hawks will be in tears,thank Christ Kennetts gone.

Saturday March 17
Adelaide Crows v West Coast at AAMI Stadium, 7.10pm local time.

NAB Cup Fixture (all times are local)
Friday March 16
Collingwood v St Kilda at Visy Park, 4pm
Port Adelaide v Melbourne at AAMI Stadium, 7.10pm
Saturday March 17
GWS Giants v Richmond at Manuka, 12.30pm
Sydney Swans v Gold Coast Suns at Blacktown International Sportspark, 1pm
Geelong Cats v Western Bulldogs at Simonds Stadium, 3pm
Carlton v North Melbourne at Visy Park, 3.30pm

Sunday March 18
Essendon v Brisbane Lions at Visy Park, 1.10pm

Fremantle v Hawthorn at Patersons Stadium (date and time to be confirmed on Sunday)

Like to see Senior players get some game time plus Billy and Mitch, whom I believe should be taken to Perth for RD1 instead of Scarlo and Chappy.

I'll take a guess:
B: JHunt Lonergan Scarlett
HB: Mackie Taylor Enright
C: THunt Kelly Corey
HF: SJ Hawkins Duncan
F: Stokes Pods Chapman
R: West Selwood Bartel
Int: Orren Bundy Byrnes Motlop Guthrie Smedts Hogan Brown

Basically the best side plus all the kids who are in genuine contention for the couple of vacant spots in round 1.

the doggies havent been anything special but then again they havent had a lot of their 1st choice players running around.

Dahlhaus was everywhere against the roos.

I hope we see a team like PO posted and go out all guns blazing.

the doggies havent been anything special but then again they havent had a lot of their 1st choice players running around.

Dahlhaus was everywhere against the roos.

I hope we see a team like PO posted and go out all guns blazing.

Dahlhaus, Griffen were great, and agree, Dogs were significantly undermanned and pushed NM all the way.

For anyone thinking of attending on Saturday:

AFL and Club members get in for free on presentation of membership card at the gates otherwise its $10 for adults and $5 for kids under 15 and concession

For anyone thinking of attending on Saturday:

AFL and Club members get in for free on presentation of membership card at the gates otherwise its $10 for adults and $5 for kids under 15 and concession

Sweet!! :thumbsu:

Hope we get a curtain raiser this week too. According to the GFC website, our VFL side are scheduled to play a practice match at Skilled on Sunday morning against Collingwood (again), but there is a suggestion it might be moved to Saturday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll take a guess:

Basically the best side plus all the kids who are in genuine contention for the couple of vacant spots in round 1.

Have a go at this bloke to hoity toity now to say for the tray of snags,what will it be next week for the tray of Filet Mignon.:DI like your thoughts on the side though.And was very pleased with the way Pods came back last week,I thought he may have been more tentative obviously a true footballer not much up stairs,and thats a good thing.

I'll take a guess:

Yep, and really no one has grabbed the small forward spots yet. Not sure if Motlop wouldn't be ahead of Stokes based on the pre-season so far.

Unless Byrnes or Hogan have absolute blinders I can't see any chance of them playing round 1. I'm guessing Guthrie and Brown will play, the last spot between Smedts and Motlop.

Yep, and really no one has grabbed the small forward spots yet. Not sure if Motlop wouldn't be ahead of Stokes based on the pre-season so far.

Unless Byrnes or Hogan have absolute blinders I can't see any chance of them playing round 1. I'm guessing Guthrie and Brown will play, the last spot between Smedts and Motlop.

Small forward spots will be a big talking point particularly as Varcoe will be out for so long, all of Stokes Byrnes and Motlop will get the chance to press their claims to make sure they aren't the one to make way when he returns.

I do think Byrnes and Hogan are outsiders unless they play really well this week, although their games suit Subi which gives them a chance.
If Guthrie and Brown play that is the last spot given Poodle will be in (and Orren makes the last of the four vacant spots).

I like Brown, but I think 3 tall backs, 2 tall forwards and 2 ruckmen might be enough non runners at Subi, and that might tip him out. He's showing good signs though.

Why does everyone persist in selecting slowish back halfs? Those days are gone!

Because THunt is the only kid certain to come in at this point and they seem keen to use him in midfield, which means Guthrie is the only other young player you could look at to quicken up the backline. That's still our best back 6 and I don't see them dropping anyone this early. By round 20 that might change though.

We need at least one player who can break the lines. You've mentioned two but noone is suggesting either here. Last year Scott positioned at least one - often two - runners in the back half. As Malthouse said this week it was one of the major changes to our game plan last year. Run it to the centre then long to a deep forward. Shallow forward fifty entries are close to pointless the way the game unfolds today.

We need at least one player who can break the lines. You've mentioned two but noone is suggesting either here. Last year Scott positioned at least one - often two - runners in the back half. As Malthouse said this week it was one of the major changes to our game plan last year. Run it to the centre then long to a deep forward. Shallow forward fifty entries are close to pointless the way the game unfolds today.

Which is one of several reasons those two should see a lot of footy this year.

And look, I agree your point is valid. Which is why I said I can forsee a possibility of a change in the best 22 (in terms of a young player pushing a more senior player out), but that will come later in the year, it won't happen this early.

As it stands now, THunt is the only certainty and thus if they use him as a run with through the mid as they have done in the NAB, that back half I listed is likely to be predominantly what we use for the first half of the year. If a young speedier player plays as well as Bundy/Duncan did last year, they'll claim a spot when it counts.

Which is one of several reasons those two should see a lot of footy this year.

And look, I agree your point is valid. Which is why I said I can forsee a possibility of a change in the best 22 (in terms of a young player pushing a more senior player out), but that will come later in the year, it won't happen this early.

As it stands now, THunt is the only certainty and thus if they use him as a run with through the mid as they have done in the NAB, that back half I listed is likely to be predominantly what we use for the first half of the year. If a young speedier player plays as well as Bundy/Duncan did last year, they'll claim a spot when it counts.

Wojo is going to be appreciated more after he is no longer available. I rate him highly for that knack, and hope if this is his last season, that he continues to be a high quality player. He and TV are going to be missed in those early games.

Wojo is going to be appreciated more after he is no longer available. I rate him highly for that knack, and hope if this is his last season, that he continues to be a high quality player. He and TV are going to be missed in those early games.

Agree, Wojo is very underrated (outside the club anyway, maybe not in it) and if this is his last year as is likely, I will enjoy every good moment he gives us. And he will be missed early on. I do find it a little concerning (reading the article about him on the afl site today) that we don't seem to have found all the solutions to the foot issue and his return date is a bit uncertain. But yes, losing him and Varcs at the same time for the first 2 months of the season is a bad combination, will really hit our run and carry for sure.

IMO, it means that Poodle, Motlop, Guthrie and Hogan all really need to step up and Byrnesy needs to find form again quickly.

The cats will select a near full strength team with those in mind for round 1.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2012/03/13/312841_gfc.html

Lappin said the Cats would look to field close to their strongest available team against the Dogs on Saturday, meaning Jimmy Bartel, Joel Selwood and Andrew Mackie are in line to return.
"We'll probably pick close to our round one side and we won't sub too many off at half time. We'll make sure they're playing in preparation for round one, so we're looking forward to the challenge.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back