Preview Round 20: Geelong vs Fremantle, “The Clarke/Drum Cup” - Saturday 29 July, 1:45pm @ HOME

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummm yeah, sorry about the delay - long day at work & then a quick run around in the Depths of TOTK

This is a match we need to win to keep ourselves in the top 8, it’s 8th vs 15th and really there’s no excuses this week for us to not come on top even though Fremantle did enjoy a 3pt win at this venue last year

We were pretty s**t for 3/4 quarters against the Lions and the good thing is we get the opportunity to turn around that performance on our home deck, but the frustration is that we know we can turn it around at home - somehow it would feel like a more telling situation is this match was played away from KP to see how we’d respond to the s**t show that was last week

For the most part our defensive unit held up pretty well, and the questions of how we’d counter Charlie Cameron without Bews seemed to be answered pretty well with the motobike not being taken out of the garage. The concern from Saturday twilight was the ineffectiveness of our midfield for the vast majority of the match - only 2 centre clearances to 3/4 time just isn’t good enough as we know we have players capable of performing at a higher level than they showed. We also seemed to loose all connection between our midfield & forwards and it was only in the last quarter where there seemed to be some realisation that kicking to another player in the Hoops was likely to end in a positive transition of the ball

And yes he’s played in a few losses this year, but of the 6 matches Rohan's missed this year we‘ve lost 4 of them and his absence has been noticed by the fans each time - he has a presence up forward with his attack on the ball & the opposition that we don’t necessarily see from his teammates. Plus, he also acts as something of our pressure barometer and when he’s switched on in that hunting mood, others around him bring the same intensity - fingers crossed his ankle ain’t too bad and we see him back in the 22 this week

Maybe we also see Menegola for the first time this season, while the #10 has continued to press his case after his return to the VFL at the mid-point of the season. Sure, we talk about the need to play our best available players each week as we’re getting to that stage of each match having the potential of being a knock out situation, after last weeks effort in the midield, maybe it’s time for a statement or two to be made about acceptable level needed to be playing in the senior team

Sure Fremantle is currently sitting 15th but we can’t afford to take them lightly, we need to come out with intent from the opening bounce and stamp our authority on the match - they’ll take confidence from last years result, so lets not give them a sniff

Bring on Saturday afternoon, let’s hear the crowd get behind the boys and have Fremantle asking for an early call so they can get home to Perth that night…

Ummm yeah, sorry about the delay - long day at work & then a quick run around in the Depths of TOTK

This is a match we need to win to keep ourselves in the top 8, it’s 8th vs 15th and really there’s no excuses this week for us to not come on top even though Fremantle did enjoy a 3pt win at this venue last year

We were pretty s**t for 3/4 quarters against the Lions and the good thing is we get the opportunity to turn around that performance on our home deck, but the frustration is that we know we can turn it around at home - somehow it would feel like a more telling situation is this match was played away from KP to see how we’d respond to the s**t show that was last week

For the most part our defensive unit held up pretty well, and the questions of how we’d counter Charlie Cameron without Bews seemed to be answered pretty well with the motobike not being taken out of the garage. The concern from Saturday twilight was the ineffectiveness of our midfield for the vast majority of the match - only 2 centre clearances to 3/4 time just isn’t good enough as we know we have players capable of performing at a higher level than they showed. We also seemed to loose all connection between our midfield & forwards and it was only in the last quarter where there seemed to be some realisation that kicking to another player in the Hoops was likely to end in a positive transition of the ball

And yes he’s played in a few losses this year, but of the 6 matches he’s missed this year we‘ve lost 4 of them and his absence has been noticed by the fans each time - he has a presence up forward with his attack on the ball & the opposition that we don’t necessarily see from his teammates. Plus, he also acts as something of our pressure barometer and when he’s switched on in that hunting mood, others around him bring the same intensity - fingers crossed his ankle ain’t too bad and we see him back in the 22 this week

Maybe we also see Menegola for the first time this season, while the #10 has continued to press his case after his return to the VFL at the mid-point of the season. Sure, we talk about the need to play our best available players each week as we’re getting to that stage of each match having the potential of being a knock out situation, after last weeks effort in the midield, maybe it’s time for a statement or two to be made about acceptable level needed to be playing in the senior team

Sure Fremantle is currently sitting 15th but we can’t afford to take them lightly, we need to come out with intent from the opening bounce and stamp our authority on the match - they’ll take confidence from last years result, so lets not give them a sniff

Bring on Saturday afternoon, let’s hear the crowd get behind the boys and have Fremantle asking for an early call so they can get home to Perth that night…
Good preview.

some points in response.

they have beaten us the last two times we have played? Once at our home and earlier this year at theirs…. Their style has matched us well and they have killed us both times around the contest. And yet we will be ranging favourites Given their current form. I don’t know what to think…

Bews is interesting for me. Does he come back via VFL? Or could he be a good sub? (impact, speed, mature?) I wouldn’t have thought we would change our back 6/7 right now.

if we don’t play Gola over the next two weeks then I can’t see him getting a shot. But we are now past giving people a game unless someone needs a rest? We need continuity. So I am unclear who he replaces? Other than Tanner (which would be harsh). Even then I would bring in Knevitt in front of Gola.

Rohan straight back in so already need to drop someone. Maybe that person gets managed to sub? It is possible we rest Stanly but that would be Toby or Ceglar (he is still on our list?). do to get Bews and Gola a game (and Knevitt) you are starting to make too many changes impacting continuity?

looking back at 2022. to see how we used our squad of 26.

Round 19 (equivalent to round 20 now). 1 forced change (Gola injured) replaced by an emergency (Neale) from week before as sub
round 20 Stanly injured replaced by Ceglar and 2E had COVID! With Stewart back from suspension!!
round 21. Stanley back in (Cegs was sub!!) danger and Rohan injured and selwood and blitz managed. In stanley, Dal, menegola, 2E
round 22. Managed Smith and Duncan, ommitted Dal (for last time!) and dropped ceg as sub
‘round 23. stanley and Cameron injured (!) and Gola managed (never got back in?). Cegs came in with smith and Sav (for last time?)

first final ommitted Sav Parf and Cegs to get Cameron Duncan and Stanley back in after a couple weeks rest.

so we did actually do some management in the last few rounds of the year. Noting every team in last 5 rounds we played we’re NOT in the 8 at the time
(bulldogs then got in). We were already on a winning streak of 8 and then won by an average of 40 points for those last 5 games.

This year our last 4 teams are all in the 8 as we speak (although st Kilda might not be when we play them). So are we brave enough to use our squad of 26 this time around? We have already rested Smith and 2E and Rohan rests himself with injuries. Hawkins doesn’t get rested.

I can only see us potentially resting Danger, Duncan, Stanley and Cameron from here. So one a week max? and given we have Bews and Rohan to come back in from last week game I am not sure anyone else will get a look in other than maybe Gola or Knevitt. Maybe

from

Not sure there's anyone here who thinks differently.
Funny I always thought he was important for us when we played the swans too!! Amazing how having him in our side has completely changed my view of him. I didn’t like him and thought he was completely over rated….now he would be in top 10 picks for me each week

Funny I always thought he was important for us when we played the swans too!! Amazing how having him in our side has completely changed my view of him. I didn’t like him and thought he was completely over rated….now he would be in top 10 picks for me each week

I hear you, but I think he's genuinely improved as a player since wearing the hoops.......or is that biased?

Anyone else feel that rohan is a huge important player for us?? The way we are trying to play he is integral.

I don’t see anyone else on our list who offers what Rohan offers - I know he has quiet games where he may be down on disposals, but the intensity & intent always seems to be there

We should win reasonably comfortably. But they’ve beaten us the previous 2 occasions, including at Geelong.

Brayshaw and Serong are quality, so will be a good test for our midfield after last week. Would think we’ll have a couple changes. Menegola likely gets a game, perhaps knevitt or maybe even parfitt after reportedly having a good game in the vfl on the weekend. Rohan back will be handy also, but I can’t see how Bews gets back in.

I feel we are battered in the midfield and lack depth and quality.

Dangerfield does not play out a full game and appears to only be an impact player at the moment. His game time is low. He has had an interrupted season and has not recaptured his form but has a crack.

Guthrie is a seasoned player who is sadly injured and may not return this year

Holmes is viewed by most as being a great talent. I am not convinced.
He is inconsistent and his disposal can be sloppy.

Bruhn sadly is injured and has the brightest future of our emerging midfield players. Not sure if he can play any other position. Looking forward to his progress. He will be the leader of the club in the future. Inspired draft choice. Geelong through and through.

Clark has not been able to get on the park and is unknown at the level.

Blicavs and Atkins need a break and I feel the heavy load is now telling.

Mena is trying to find form in the VFL, lets see.

As it stands we do not have a midfield that can challenge the better sides.

Midfield Options are:
Clohesy who may be given a shot as he can accumulate and is an in and under player. However, he is unproven at the level and may be selected in desperation.
Knevitt has been playing well in the VFL, can play a little inside, can take a mark and has huge upside.
Parfitt is slowly finding form in the VFL and may be given another shot.

We should win reasonably comfortably. But they’ve beaten us the previous 2 occasions, including at Geelong.

Brayshaw and Serong are quality, so will be a good test for our midfield after last week. Would think we’ll have a couple changes. Menegola likely gets a game, perhaps knevitt or maybe even parfitt after reportedly having a good game in the vfl on the weekend. Rohan back will be handy also, but I can’t see how Bews gets back in.
Oddly I think they have a side on paper that just matches up well against us for whatever reason... Some sides are like that.

Their midfield seems to really destroy ours every time we play them. Pearce seems to nullify hawkins as well...

If we can nullify serong and brayshaw it will go a long way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good preview.

some points in response.

they have beaten us the last two times we have played? Once at our home and earlier this year at theirs…. Their style has matched us well and they have killed us both times around the contest. And yet we will be ranging favourites Given their current form. I don’t know what to think…

Bews is interesting for me. Does he come back via VFL? Or could he be a good sub? (impact, speed, mature?) I wouldn’t have thought we would change our back 6/7 right now.

if we don’t play Gola over the next two weeks then I can’t see him getting a shot. But we are now past giving people a game unless someone needs a rest? We need continuity. So I am unclear who he replaces? Other than Tanner (which would be harsh). Even then I would bring in Knevitt in front of Gola.

Rohan straight back in so already need to drop someone. Maybe that person gets managed to sub? It is possible we rest Stanly but that would be Toby or Ceglar (he is still on our list?). do to get Bews and Gola a game (and Knevitt) you are starting to make too many changes impacting continuity?

looking back at 2022. to see how we used our squad of 26.

Round 19 (equivalent to round 20 now). 1 forced change (Gola injured) replaced by an emergency (Neale) from week before as sub
round 20 Stanly injured replaced by Ceglar and 2E had COVID! With Stewart back from suspension!!
round 21. Stanley back in (Cegs was sub!!) danger and Rohan injured and selwood and blitz managed. In stanley, Dal, menegola, 2E
round 22. Managed Smith and Duncan, ommitted Dal (for last time!) and dropped ceg as sub
‘round 23. stanley and Cameron injured (!) and Gola managed (never got back in?). Cegs came in with smith and Sav (for last time?)

first final ommitted Sav Parf and Cegs to get Cameron Duncan and Stanley back in after a couple weeks rest.

so we did actually do some management in the last few rounds of the year. Noting every team in last 5 rounds we played we’re NOT in the 8 at the time
(bulldogs then got in). We were already on a winning streak of 8 and then won by an average of 40 points for those last 5 games.

This year our last 4 teams are all in the 8 as we speak (although st Kilda might not be when we play them). So are we brave enough to use our squad of 26 this time around? We have already rested Smith and 2E and Rohan rests himself with injuries. Hawkins doesn’t get rested.

I can only see us potentially resting Danger, Duncan, Stanley and Cameron from here. So one a week max? and given we have Bews and Rohan to come back in from last week game I am not sure anyone else will get a look in other than maybe Gola or Knevitt. Maybe

from

Cant afford to rest anyone with our ladder position. Especially stanley.

I think it will be rohan for mullin-not sure who will go to sub but someone will. Other than that i expect us to be unchanged unless tanners shoulder isnt good to go. Id love to see menegola in but i cant see it happening this late in the year.

Cant afford to rest anyone with our ladder position. Especially stanley.

I think it will be rohan for mullin-not sure who will go to sub but someone will. Other than that i expect us to be unchanged unless tanners shoulder isnt good to go. Id love to see menegola in but i cant see it happening this late in the year.
Stanley wouldn't be getting rested hed be getting dropped lol, they can use whatever BS terminology they want but thats the facts of the situation, I highly doubt they will actually do it though.

In the games where we have "not turned up" this year ..its our midfield that has been the most absent. I cant believe that plaing Stewart in there is a long term plan. Its more he is a talented , mature bodied player. If Knevitt is ready for shot bring him in.

Rowan probably comes in as well. If Jez has a fitness problem will a rest benefit him? If so then id give the week off. We are about to hit two critical week. Love to give Neale a shot I feel like he is close.

With no Darcy does that tempt the club in respect Conway?

I know the temptaion will be to drop Mullin ... but I love to see him start and told to run. After his first game ..I feel like he is playing with other peoples words playing in his head. Fair enough he needs a lot of help and coaching but I like to see him really try to be an offensive oriented player. It will take years for him to develop to be defensive..as shown when he got stuck under the ball v Bris.

I watched the replay of last week.

We could have won the game but even when we actually had the momentum we made dumb entries: only one player in the team makes a serious effort to find a target, and he does it even under severe pressure - Mieirs. Harris Andrews had a lovely afternoon.

Hawkins did a Kent Kingsley and missed a sitter when we trying to catch up. Ollie Henry rushed when he had plenty of time to steady and goal.

But the standout, as I noted, was the lack of cohesion going forward: time and again the kick was off or the wrong target was selected - and missed anyway.

Lack of smarts and lack of cohesion is killing us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back