1 Ruck or 2 ??? The Midfield Performance Misconception!

Remove this Banner Ad

With the amount of OSD (Obsessive Sweet Disorder) and Mandela Effect hitting peak levels over the last week, I thought I’d look in to the stats behind the claims our midfield gets dominated when we only play 1 ruck.

Turns out The Mandela Effect is strong in this claim.

Since the start of last season...

1 Ruck (with a hybrid 2nd ruck) - Our mids have won the clearance battle 76% of the time. 21-5

2 Genuine Rucks - Our mids have won the clearance battle 72% of the time. 8-3

Not only is the “our mids get dominated when we only play one ruck” wrong, it’s wrong by the length of the Flemington straight.

There’s quiet a few that have got this quiet often had 1 Ruck/2Ruck/Mid Performance discussion, terribly wrong.

Keen to hear everyone’s thoughts because this specifically highlights how good our midfield actually is regardless of who’s rucking, including those we consider genuine rucks.

Kudos to our midfield group. Hopefully the dominance continues tomorrow night!

Don't really give a hoot about stats sorry. If you're going to win the GF you need to beat Melbourne, and we won't beat Melbourne with only English rucking.

Okay okay okay let’s make this real easy for you and good ole bucks Charlie Bucket, let’s really break it down so he can understand and hopefully he doesn’t just blatantly ignore this one

Hypothetically,

A) Were playing the most dominant midfield/ruck combo in the league. Timmy has 50 hitouts, Sweet has 40. On 10 occasions Timmy directly hits the ball down to a midfielder who kicks the goal, overall we have 50 team clearances. The other team kicks 0 direct goals from hit outs to advantage, their ruckmen combine for 50 hitouts but the team overall has 51 clearances.

B) we’re playing the worst midfield/ruck combo in modern history, Timmy’s lone ruck - he has 0 hitouts for the match, we kick 0 goals from stoppages but on 10 occasions the opposition ruckmen taps it straight down the midfielders throat for a goal, directly off the HOTA. Our midfield combines for 51 clearances against the oppositions 50.

In which scenario, has our midfield/ruck duo performed better. And which column would get a tick in your little argument? 1 ruck or 2 rucks?

What are you doing tomorrow champ? I’m building a deck and need a few holes dug.

At the rate you’re going today, you should have them knocked over pretty quickly.

What are you doing tomorrow champ? I’m building a deck and need a few holes dug.

At the rate you’re going today, you should have them knocked over pretty quickly.
You can’t answer because you know the correct answer proves your whole thread a complete and utter waste of time 😂

Bravo buckets you’ve outdone yourself this time

100% of the games I've attended where Sweet has played as the lone ruckman, we've won. (3)

100% of the games I've attended where English and Martin rucked in tandem, we've won. (3)

100% of the games I've attended where Martin has played as the lone ruckman, we've won. (1)

I am yet to attend a game where English and Sweet have rucked together.

We haven't won all the games I've attended where English has rucked solo.

I think this is fairly conclusive, and will be the core proposition of a thesis I am working on.

For the record, I am attending tonight. I will be on level 1, city wing, holding a banner that says "What the ruck Bevo?"

You can’t answer because you know the correct answer proves your whole thread a complete and utter waste of time 😂

Bravo buckets you’ve outdone yourself this time

To be honest, I haven’t even given the question a proper read.

All I know is it’s the footballing equivalent of asking someone if they’d prefer to meet Jesus or Santa Claus.

The threads not a waste of time. In fact it’s the complete opposite. And also very relevant considering the topic of conversation lately.

You and some others have gone hard that our midfield gets dominated having the sole ruckman, but the stats don’t back that claim up. In fact they reflect the complete opposite.

I’m happy to be shown the stats from other performance indicators by you or others, that coaches and footballing experts use to determine the influence one midfield has over another at stoppages. That’s your best chance of getting out of this hole you’ve dug and not looking like a complete noob.

This thread will be around forever, so feel free to take your time.

Don't really give a hoot about stats sorry. If you're going to win the GF you need to beat Melbourne, and we won't beat Melbourne with only English rucking.
Sweet is a marginal upgrade on Martin and we didn’t beat them with that. At what point will the 2nd ruck brigade finally admit it’s nothing to do with Bevo and everything to do with the lack of a Lobb/Marshall/Jackson type on the list

Okay okay okay let’s make this real easy for you and good ole bucks Charlie Bucket, let’s really break it down so he can understand and hopefully he doesn’t just blatantly ignore this one

Hypothetically,

A) Were playing the most dominant midfield/ruck combo in the league. Timmy has 50 hitouts, Sweet has 40. On 10 occasions Timmy directly hits the ball down to a midfielder who kicks the goal, overall we have 50 team clearances. The other team kicks 0 direct goals from hit outs to advantage, their ruckmen combine for 50 hitouts but the team overall has 51 clearances.

B) we’re playing the worst midfield/ruck combo in modern history, Timmy’s lone ruck - he has 0 hitouts for the match, we kick 0 goals from stoppages but on 10 occasions the opposition ruckmen taps it straight down the midfielders throat for a goal, directly off the HOTA. Our midfield combines for 51 clearances against the oppositions 50.

In which scenario, has our midfield/ruck duo performed better. And which column would get a tick in your little argument? 1 ruck or 2 rucks?
So you only argument now is a ridiculously one sided hypothetical?

To be honest, I haven’t even given the question a proper read.

All I know is it’s the footballing equivalent of asking someone if they’d prefer to meet Jesus or Santa Claus.

The threads not a waste of time. In fact it’s the complete opposite. And also very relevant considering the topic of conversation lately.

You and some others have gone hard that our midfield gets dominated having the sole ruckman, but the stats don’t back that claim up. In fact they reflect the complete opposite.

I’m happy to be shown the stats from other performance indicators by you or others, that coaches and footballing experts use to determine the influence one midfield has over another at stoppages. That’s your best chance of getting out of this hole you’ve dug and not looking like a complete noob.

This thread will be around forever, so feel free to take your time.
You’re literally claiming the only factor to determine our midfield performance with 1 ruck or 2, is clearance differential - with zero outside factors involved.

That’s how ******* simple your argument is, why would anyone bother proving you wrong when you’ve quite clearly shown just how little you actually know on the subject - you’ve done the job yourself 😂

Quality quality stuff here

You’re literally claiming the only factor to determine our midfield performance with 1 ruck or 2, is clearance differential - with zero outside factors involved.

That’s how ******* simple your argument is, why would anyone bother proving you wrong when you’ve quite clearly shown just how little you actually know on the subject - you’ve done the job yourself 😂

Quality quality stuff here
You’re the one suggesting our midfield is getting destroyed by the lack of a 2nd ruck which is statistically not true.

If we had a Lobb/Jackson/Marshall type life would be good we wouldn’t need to question Bevo however we don’t and Sweet is an average tap ruck and inept at everything else

So you only argument now is a ridiculously one sided hypothetical?
You’ve just claimed it as a ridiculous one sided hypothetical correct?

Yet in this hypothetical Buckets would award the points to the 1 ruck column, and use it as evidence as to why he’s right that we’re better with 1 ruck.

Hmm

Btw in Hypothetical A we won by 354 points in hypothetical B we lost by 190 points

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’ve just claimed it as a ridiculous one sided hypothetical correct?

Yet in this hypothetical Buckets would award the points to the 1 ruck column, and use it as evidence as to why he’s right that we’re better with 1 ruck.

Hmm
With our current options yes we are better with 1 ruck. It’s not 1980 anymore if your rucks don’t impact around the ground they’re useless. We have a very good midfield that wins the battle most weeks. Majority of the games we lose is because of unforced turnovers or poor structure around stoppages which isn’t relevant to the ruck dual. Go out and do some coaching it will help you out

Personally I would play Sweet simply for insurance and we have more to gain playing Sweet than another HBF come midfielder come forward.
If English gets injured during a game we are done IMO
That’s like saying play Schache in every game too in case Naughton goes down because then we are stuffed injuries happen from time to time

With our current options yes we are better with 1 ruck. It’s not 1980 anymore if your rucks don’t impact around the ground they’re useless. We have a very good midfield that wins the battle most weeks. Majority of the games we lose is because of unforced turnovers or poor structure around stoppages which isn’t relevant to the ruck dual. Go out and do some coaching it will help you out
Im not arguing whether we are better with 1 ruck or not, im asking A) or B)

English is a substantially better ruckman then Sweet why would we weaken our team for that?

Agree but English forward is not too bad if Naughton gets injured and Sweet can ruck (he will never be an English but dont forget what English was like in his first 7 games).

Agree but English forward is not too bad if Naughton gets injured and Sweet can ruck (he will never be an English but dont forget what English was like in his first 7 games).
English was a raw athletic talent Sweet is Tom Campbell 2.0 with less forward craft

I’m not talking about factors outside of the stoppage you absolute twit, how thick are you man? Jesus Christ

Calm down champ. Don’t blow a fuse.

So these factors are no longer outside the stoppage? They’re at the stoppage?

So what are they?

Around the ground English is massively better than Sweet basically giving us an extra midfielder.

Even in his early games English moved around the ground better than Sweet.

Sweet is not the worst backup ruck going around but if English is playing he has no role.

Our midfield is stronger whenever English is rucking as he becomes one.

We do not have a genuine 2nd ruck on our list so this whole debate is .......... well let's say going in with 1 ruck tonight will not influence the result 1 iota

Buku was pushed forward in the VFL and played ruck in the VFL to see how he would go.

He can easily ruck 20% be forward 40% including rucking stoppages there and will be of much more value than Sweet in the 2nd ruck role which covers his 60 to 65 percent on ground.

Some of us just do not like seeing Bont or Dunks in the ruck contest when there are better options already there.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back