Delisted #11: Will "Meatball" Snelling - Delisted 25/10

Remove this Banner Ad

You're just replacing my argument with a completely different one. Yeah he is borderline/best 22 right now but that's kind of my point - to get to the next phase, we need to go past him (and others in that bracket).

The whole "our better players don't do X" thing has just become a bit of a boogeyman tbh. Our middle tier players need to step up and be held accountable too. Not just the ones you deem fit.

Parish's job as an inside mid is to get the ball to the outside. A hack forward often counts as more metres gained as an effective clearance. Lachie Neale had 152 metres gained on the weekend, for example.

He was better than Menzie and Davey (who were both poor themselves) but he wasn't good. As a defensive mid, he's got no upside and could be replaced by youth given the opportunities. As a small forward, he kicks 1 behind and 1 tackle inside 50. Meh.

This is the issue. I keep hearing easily replaced by youth yet the youth do not and can not play the role as well as he does. Yet I keep hearing it.
To say he was not good says you do not value pressure yet it was easily the weakest part of our game last season. He was the best pressure small forward. Until the youth show it at that level there is no argument.
He still had 5 tackles. His 1 tackle inside 50 was equal with the Pies best and better than both Davey and Menzie who had 0. Had double the pressure acts compared to Davey and Menzie.
You do not rate pressure forwards. That is fine but do not give the the argument that the youth can do better when they have not or can not.

This has nothing to do with Parish but for some reason you want to keep putting him in the conversation with the small forwards.

As for player not doing X in general being a boogey man are you really happy we have been rated in the worst 2 or 3 sides as far as team defense goes over the last 10 years ? It is not a boogey man. It is just a fact. The side across the board has been poor at working both ways. You can not argue they have not.
No boogey man involved. Even the current coach has continually said he looked at how we have played and our defense has been poor and needed to improve.

So until the other small forward show they can lead the pressure acts , consistently be making 4 or 5 tacks a game and provide the same all round pressure he does 90% of the time then it is a non contest. Upside has zero to do with it. He is playing his role.

Last edited:
This is the issue. I keep hearing easily replaced by youth yet the youth do not and can not play the role as well as he does. Yet I keep hearing it.
To say he was not good says you do not value pressure yet it was easily the weakest part of our game last season. He was the best pressure small forward. Until the youth show it at that level there is no argument.
He still had 5 tackles. His 1 tackle inside 50 was equal with the Pies best and better than both Davey and Menzie who had 0. Had double the pressure acts compared to Davey and Menzie.
You do not rate pressure forwards. That is fine but do not give the the argument that the youth can do better when they have not or can not.
"As a defensive mid, he's got no upside and could be replaced by youth given the opportunities. As a small forward, he kicks 1 behind and 1 tackle inside 50. Meh."

As a defensive mid, we should be giving opportunities to Hobbs. He could easily overtake him by seasons end if not sooner with a much higher upside and lengthy career to come.

As a small forward, he's still around the best 22 if Guelfi is unavailable. I have no issues with that. However, his output was still meh (1 tackle i50 and 1 behind) - he is a limited player with no real weapons. Never knocked his attitude or intent but I disagree with the "but our senior players" perpetual scapegoat.

When I say mention us as as a club taking the next step, that's not next week. That to me is 2024 and beyond.

Saying I don't rate pressure forwards because I don't rate Snelling as highly as you.....come on.

This has nothing to do with Parish but for some reason you want to keep putting him in the conversation with the small forwards.

Lolwhat? You mentioned him first in comparison to "our better players" and we all know who you're referring to. That is literally how this conversation started....

Last edited:

As for player not doing X in general being a boogey man are you really happy we have been rated in the worst 2 or 3 sides as far as team defense goes over the last 10 years ? It is not a boogey man. It is just a fact. The side across the board has been poor at working both ways. You can not argue they have not.
No boogey man involved. Even the current coach has continually said he looked at how we have played and our defense has been poor and needed to improve.

So until the other small forward show they can lead the pressure acts , consistently be making 4 or 5 tacks a game and provide the same all round pressure he does 90% of the time then it is a non contest. Upside has zero to do with it. He is playing his role.
It’s strange how fans can’t see this

As a defensive mid, we should be giving opportunities to Hobbs. He could easily overtake him by seasons end if not sooner with a much higher upside and lengthy career to come.

As a small forward, he's still around the best 22 if Guelfi is unavailable. I have no issues with that. However, his output was still meh (1 tackle i50 and 1 behind) - he is a limited player with no real weapons. Never knocked his attitude or intent but I disagree with the "but our senior players" perpetual scapegoat.

When I say mention us as as a club taking the next step, that's not next week. That to me is 2024 and beyond.

Saying I don't rate pressure forwards because I don't rate Snelling as highly as you.....come on.

Lolwhat? You mentioned him first in comparison to "our better players" and we all know who you're referring to. That is literally how this conversation started....
He is a better small forward than Geulfi which is my opinion.

Secondly why do you keep bringing midfielders into the small forward conversation.

Thirdly it was a general comment that we will be better when our better players have his attitude and work rate. Did not single any one player out. If I wanted to make it about Parish then I would have said Parish. It was not. If you want to give our better players a free pass then so be it. If I have a crack at Parish then it will be in the Parish thread and I will continue to praise him when he is good and question it when he is not.

Finally you say his output was meh. I was there watching how the forwards worked defensively. He was the best of them. That was his job. Defensive forward. You could also see the organizing in the forward half to keep the inside 50 pressure on.

You know how you build a good side ? you play the good ordinary blokes like Snelling and Guelfi and you do that until it filters through the list and you move on the ones who do not want to buy in.

Real duality of man stuff, I don’t think we can afford not to pick him, but we don’t really move forward while he’s a mainstay in the side.

Real duality of man stuff, I don’t think we can afford not to pick him, but we don’t really move forward while he’s a mainstay in the side.

You'd like to upgrade him with a player who works as hard as he does defensively, but offers more scoring threat. His work-rate puts pressure on the other guys to match his level.

Between Alwyn Jnr, Menzies, Tex and Jayden I'd like to think we can find some guys who can follow his lead work-rate wise (Davey Jnr and Menzies both work hard defensively) and are able to contribute more on the scoreboard.

FWIW he's playing a role as a hard working high-half forward, not really a defensive midfielder or a small forward.

This is 100% my point.

There are about 5-6 players in Snellings bracket who are still best 22/borderline right now, but in order for us to take the next step, are not in our squad going forward.

Is he still a valid contributor to our squad right now? Of course. Am I saying he's a bum and should be dropped? Absolutely not. Simply saying, he is one player in that group we need to upgrade over the next year or two.

I don't know if I have posted this previously... but he is our Brady Rawlings, who stood up on the stage after his 3rd best and fairest & said "If I am up here next year, we are in big trouble".

I really think the talk of Snelling being someone we move on from if we want to be a good side is incorrect.

Snelling is clean with the ball, makes good quick decisions, executes the game plan, has a big engine and would be close to our best tackler.
Ive got him down for a 1 year extension. Could add a games trigger if he wants it. Also good for VFL if hes not playing seniors

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Snello was good last night. Best game for a while and maybe just taking a bit of time to warm back into it. His decision making is excellent. Has composure, pressures well contest to contest and is usually a decent shot for goal. At worst he's good depth. People saying he should be delisted can't see the forest for the trees.

Another of our smalls who can get the fumbles. But last night broke things open a few times with clean touch in the wet.

He’s the kind of guy who’s always on the fringes on the best 22 but (similar to Guelfi) you know what you’ll get from him every week.

Gives 100% on the ground and does all the ugly grunt work, along with Menzies and Guelfi that were a big part of us getting back in the game IMO. Just kept applying physical pressure allowing our intercept game to get rolling.

I really think the talk of Snelling being someone we move on from if we want to be a good side is incorrect.

Snelling is clean with the ball, makes good quick decisions, executes the game plan, has a big engine and would be close to our best tackler.
Ive been wrestling with his position for weeks. One one hand he does so much little stuff, un noticed stuff exceptionally well.

On the other hand, why can't a kid like Tsatas (for name that came to mind) do this role? its not like Will is doing anything exceptional that makes him a lock for the best 22

He’s the kind of guy who’s always on the fringes on the best 22 but (similar to Guelfi) you know what you’ll get from him every week.

Gives 100% on the ground and does all the ugly grunt work, along with Menzies and Guelfi that were a big part of us getting back in the game IMO. Just kept applying physical pressure allowing our intercept game to get rolling.
I think the first par here explains why he should stay on the list. An excellent depth player because he's reliable and knows his role. Same with Guelfi.

Players like Alwyn, Jayden and Tex need to excel and push them out.

ive been saying this for months. good to see people finally realising

No one has really argued otherwise, not sure why you're patting yourself on the back here.... we currently don't have many alternative options so guys like Snelling and Guelfi play out of necessity.

You've got a first year Davey who did some nice things but is young and needs time, a Davey coming off an ACL, a Wanganeen who was barely going until the last few weeks and an out of condition AMT trying to get back.

No one has really argued otherwise, not sure why you're patting yourself on the back here.... we currently don't have many alternative options so guys like Snelling and Guelfi play out of necessity.

You've got a first year Davey who did some nice things but is young and needs time, a Davey coming off an ACL, a Wanganeen who was barely going until the last few weeks and an out of condition AMT trying to get back.
I like how you've included the indefinite article 🤣

ive been saying this for months. good to see people finally realising
People always knew. The argument has always been who is stepping up to take his place. No good saying this bloke should not be in the side when no other players is doing better or will do better. Until this year that was the case. You may have been saying it for a while but there was no one who could play the role better or add anything different for that matter.

I think he will get delisted this year as Menzie has taken one spot. Davey will be better second year in and without injury you will see Shiel and even Tsatas playing forward roles.

People always knew. The argument has always been who is stepping up to take his place. No good saying this bloke should not be in the side when no other players is doing better or will do better. Until this year that was the case. You may have been saying it for a while but there was no one who could play the role better or add anything different for that matter.

I think he will get delisted this year as Menzie has taken one spot. Davey will be better second year in and without injury you will see Shiel and even Tsatas playing forward roles.

Jeez I hope you’re wrong

So, what is going to happen with this guy? Could be the end of his time in the red and black?

Nothing against him, solid and honest player but it’s a tough call that will have to be made I feel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back