Delisted #11: Will "Meatball" Snelling - Delisted 25/10

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't say his role is redundant, there will always be a role for small forwards.

The problem with Guelfi and Snelling is that they are so rarely a threat with ball in hand. So the opposition put their best running backs on them and play off them. That means someone like Guelfi needs to work twice as hard to chase down an opponent compared to someone like Gresham, who needs to be more closely marked in forward 50.

That's why they (Guelfi and Snelling) are ironically part of the defensive problem we have. Because their opponents can run off them knowing they'll do little damage going the other way on the counter attack, which then means they outnumber our mids who don't know if they are defending space or a man.
Not sure he's a small forward. Plays more up the ground and rarely as a crumber which is what we really need.

Re Gresham, I haven't watched enough saints games to make an honest assessment of his game to know if he's worth getting or not and whether he fills a genuine need.

Good point for the role of Snelling and Guelfi on their defensive efforts (HBF run off them as they're not forced to be accountable). Chicken and egg thing. Think that Guelfi in 2022 forced defenders to be accountable or at least hurt them when the weren't (avg 4.9 SI, 0.9 G, 0.4B) and was surprised to see Snellings best in 2021 was comparable (avg 5 SI, 0.5G, 0.4B).

The gameplan that Scott wants us to play dictates whether Guelfi/Snelling are important or not. Does he want manic forward pressure forcing opposition HBF to be accountable, or does he want a small forward/HBF that pushes up more to support the midfield.

In an ideal world you have player capable of doing both, and maybe in the future we will with Davey/Wanganeen/Menzie/Snelling/Guelfi/undrafted player although current viewing suggests not with our current list.

A smart coach figures out the cattle they have (or want if they're in a rebuilding phase) and tailors a gameplan that works to the strengths of the players they have. Yet to be seen if we have the cattle, or a coach that has the right gameplan and the ability to maximise the talents of the players on our list,

Not sure he's a small forward. Plays more up the ground and rarely as a crumber which is what we really need.

Re Gresham, I haven't watched enough saints games to make an honest assessment of his game to know if he's worth getting or not and whether he fills a genuine need.

Good point for the role of Snelling and Guelfi on their defensive efforts (HBF run off them as they're not forced to be accountable). Chicken and egg thing. Think that Guelfi in 2022 forced defenders to be accountable or at least hurt them when the weren't (avg 4.9 SI, 0.9 G, 0.4B) and was surprised to see Snellings best in 2021 was comparable (avg 5 SI, 0.5G, 0.4B).

The gameplan that Scott wants us to play dictates whether Guelfi/Snelling are important or not. Does he want manic forward pressure forcing opposition HBF to be accountable, or does he want a small forward/HBF that pushes up more to support the midfield.

In an ideal world you have player capable of doing both, and maybe in the future we will with Davey/Wanganeen/Menzie/Snelling/Guelfi/undrafted player although current viewing suggests not with our current list.

A smart coach figures out the cattle they have (or want if they're in a rebuilding phase) and tailors a gameplan that works to the strengths of the players they have. Yet to be seen if we have the cattle, or a coach that has the right gameplan and the ability to maximise the talents of the players on our list,
Agree. Snelling's best is pushing up to support the mids, around the arc and hitting targets inside 50 - he's a very composed short kick - or finding the footy around 30m out.

I'd never really given much thought to whether that confused the mids re their defensive positioning, but I'm not sure I agree that defenders just run off him. That's not something I've really noticed.

The defenders run off all our forwards.

Goodnight Sweet Prince.

I think the arrival of "The Gresh" spells the end of Will's time with us. If so, Meatball has been more than handy coming from a MSD pick - can't question his effort.

Poor mans Jade Gresham

I might be going against the grain here but I would like to retain snelling. The Davey boys aren’t there yet, he’s a mature body with lots of experience that plug a gap when injuries inevitably come etc.

I don’t see it happening with list spots but I don’t think he is anywhere as bad as some posters have made him out to be. Watch someone like collingwood pick him up as a DFA and turn him into a decent cog in a well oiled machine:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to see him getting retained with the list squeeze. I would have preferred to keep him over Heppell (don't @ me with them playing in different positions, it's irrelevant). Try to get him to play VFL if he doesn't want to head back home or to another AFL club

Hard to see him getting retained with the list squeeze. I would have preferred to keep him over Heppell (don't @ me with them playing in different positions, it's irrelevant). Try to get him to play VFL if he doesn't want to head back home or to another AFL club

I’d take Heppell any day of the week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back