Delisted #11: Will "Meatball" Snelling - Delisted 25/10

Remove this Banner Ad

So, what is going to happen with this guy? Could be the end of his time in the red and black?

Nothing against him, solid and honest player but it’s a tough call that will have to be made I feel.

Agreed. This is the sort of "tough" call that we should make.

People calling Stewart a 'tough' call are being generous. Poor guy, but that was an incredibly obvious call, except for the fact that he was under contract (our own mistake).

So, what is going to happen with this guy? Could be the end of his time in the red and black?

Nothing against him, solid and honest player but it’s a tough call that will have to be made I feel.
I hope we move him on unless he is happy to skipper and teach the VFL side.

We have to give games now to Menzie, Davey bros and Tex, so I think we should be moving Will on.

Would any other team in the competition pick him up if he was delisted? The answer to that question is the same as the answer to “should we keep him on the list?”
Probably, he's decent enough depth at most clubs. That's what he should be here too but the rest of the list is pretty weak.

Too bad his form has dropped away . He is the type of player we want as far as competing and attack on the footy but he has not come back as well as he was since he got injured a couple of times last year.

Brayden Ham with muscles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Massimo gone are we a chance to retain Snelling?

I’m a big fan of keeping guys who actually understand their role when the opposition have the ball and aren’t total liabilities ball in hand.

I’m a big fan of keeping guys who actually understand their role when the opposition have the ball and aren’t total liabilities ball in hand.

I'd have no problem with him being depth if it we had enough list spaces to keep him.

Outside Snelling the small forward list is quite inexperienced and a bit of an unknown due to age/injury. Guelfi is the only one we really know about and we've seen his ceiling, then it's into Davey x2 and Wanganeen. Then if we add Gresham I'd argue we've used enough spots on small forwards which would spell the end for Snelling.

I imagine Snelling's spot is contingent upon the outcome of the FA and Trade periods and who comes in / what picks we're left with. If Gresham comes over then I don't think Snelling holds his spot.

I'd have no problem with him being depth if it we had enough list spaces to keep him.

Outside Snelling the small forward list is quite inexperienced and a bit of an unknown due to age/injury. Guelfi is the only one we really know about and we've seen his ceiling, then it's into Davey x2 and Wanganeen. Then if we add Gresham I'd argue we've used enough spots on small forwards which would spell the end for Snelling.
Re Guelfi, the problem isn't his ceiling, its his ability to stay around there. If he can regain his 2022 form, he's more than depth.

I see Snelling and Guelfi playing a similar role, more of a pressure high HF than a small forward.

Agree with your comment on depth and list spots. Snelling provides tackling pressure which covers for our midfields lack of defensive effort at times. In a side with a defensively accountable midfield, Snellings role is redundant. Remains to be seen whether Scott can build that accountability into the midfield

Re Guelfi, the problem isn't his ceiling, its his ability to stay around there. If he can regain his 2022 form, he's more than depth.

I see Snelling and Guelfi playing a similar role, more of a pressure high HF than a small forward.

Agree with your comment on depth and list spots. Snelling provides tackling pressure which covers for our midfields lack of defensive effort at times. In a side with a defensively accountable midfield, Snellings role is redundant. Remains to be seen whether Scott can build that accountability into the midfield
I wouldn't say his role is redundant, there will always be a role for small forwards.

The problem with Guelfi and Snelling is that they are so rarely a threat with ball in hand. So the opposition put their best running backs on them and play off them. That means someone like Guelfi needs to work twice as hard to chase down an opponent compared to someone like Gresham, who needs to be more closely marked in forward 50.

That's why they (Guelfi and Snelling) are ironically part of the defensive problem we have. Because their opponents can run off them knowing they'll do little damage going the other way on the counter attack, which then means they outnumber our mids who don't know if they are defending space or a man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back