Traded #17: Jake Melksham - Traded to Melbourne for pick 25

Remove this Banner Ad

Or he could just be left in the VFL until he has worked out enough roles to an AFL level. He is still young and clearly his body is ahead of his brain in terms of development. The more i think about it, the more i like him as a development project. The chances of him turning a corner within the next two seasons would have to be better than fair.

Yeah lets develop him in the VFL for another couple of years by which time he'll be worth absolutely donuts. If I were Ess I'd be looking at Blease from Melb & trying to wrangle a trade with them there. Perhaps with an exchange of an earlier selection from them for a later one from us as well??

That kid's outside run & finishing is exactly what we're looking for. Has had multiple games where he's kicked 3-5 in a game, 4-5 years in the system & has been unlucky with a couple of big injuries. Tbh he's shown as much upside if not more than what Melksham has in his 5 average years at Essendon! Not to mention the fact that Melb have a near on 100% strike rate in demoralising the careers of highly rated juniors.

Yeah lets develop him in the VFL for another couple of years by which time he'll be worth absolutely donuts. If I were Ess I'd be looking at Blease from Melb & trying to wrangle a trade with them there. Perhaps with an exchange of an earlier selection from them for a later one from us as well??

That kid's outside run & finishing is exactly what we're looking for. Has had multiple games where he's kicked 3-5 in a game, 4-5 years in the system & has been unlucky with a couple of big injuries. Tbh he's shown as much upside if not more than what Melksham has in his 5 average years at Essendon! Not to mention the fact that Melb have a near on 100% strike rate in demoralising the careers of highly rated juniors.

Not sure if serious.

Or he could just be left in the VFL until he has worked out enough roles to an AFL level. He is still young and clearly his body is ahead of his brain in terms of development. The more i think about it, the more i like him as a development project. The chances of him turning a corner within the next two seasons would have to be better than fair.

Remember Port being keen on drafting him. Maybe they might still be keen? Just out of curiosity who of value came after Jake in that draft?

Not gonna totally bury him because he did win those games against Carlton. But just watching where he stands on the field, it's as if he has no idea.

If Bulldogs had nailed that draft, that'd be playing finals football right now IMO.

Melksham can sill be a player.
Jesus Christ.
Not all careers are going to track in the same way. You have to be a little flexible in your expectations at times... I really don't think we lose too much by giving him another year in the VFL. What i don't want to see is him showing fair form in the VFL for two weeks and then being promoted at the expense of someone who has been given far fewer chances. There really needs to be a reversal of previous methodology so that his senior opportunities are more limited than others. You would want to see evidence that his footy brain has developed before a senior recall and i think the evidence suggests that that will take significant time. The interesting thing to observe would be the BF meltdown when he is averaging 40 touches and 2 goals a game in the VFL for half a season, while still not getting promoted above a struggling Stanton who is getting run down by one legged ruckman ;)

What is wrong with people who in one breath want Melksham gone no matter what but in the next say go and get Sam Blease who is like Melksham except without talent, workrate or a soul.

What is wrong with people who in one breath want Melksham gone no matter what but in the next say go and get Sam Blease who is like Melksham except without talent, workrate or a soul.
Grass. Greener. Apparently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heh

Picture Melksham's workrate. Get your magnifying glass if needed. Divide it by 1000. That's about 10 times Blease's workrate.
It's hardly a pretty picture in the first place, the most frustrating thing about Melksham is seeing how good he is when he is on. That time he destroyed Geelong, I thought it was the second coming of Barnard.

It's hardly a pretty picture in the first place, the most frustrating thing about Melksham is seeing how good he is when he is on. That time he destroyed Geelong, I thought it was the second coming of Barnard.

Exactly.

Blease would be a disaster.

And that happens via injuries. Players also shouldn't be gifted games hellllooooo Melksham. They need to earn them. What constitutes earning them can be varied, but if they are not contributing, how will it help their confidence.

Fine line in player development.

But the balance was tipped in the Melksham case - he was played for too long - I called for Melksham to spend the first half of 2013 developing his game in the VFL - I was laughed at for my suggestion - Think I was right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back