Traded #17: Jake Melksham - Traded to Melbourne for pick 25

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely a make or break year for Melk. More of this year, could find himself on the outer quickly....
I think hes firmly entrenched with the group of Heppell and Myers as the next generation midfield for retiring greats in Watson, Goddard and Stanton. Play him onball in an offensive role like the time Heppell and Jobe gets and he find the pill 25 times and has a real impact on games. Hes just biding his time.

This is why id like us too take an aggressive and different approach with Hocking.

I think hes firmly entrenched with the group of Heppell and Myers as the next generation midfield for retiring greats in Watson, Goddard and Stanton. Play him onball in an offensive role like the time Heppell and Jobe gets and he find the pill 25 times and has a real impact on games. Hes just biding his time.

This is why id like us too take an aggressive and different approach with Hocking.
Exactly, he's a real weapon as an offensive midfielder/high flanker. None of this tagging crap, leave that to Hocking and NOB.

Exactly, he's a real weapon as an offensive midfielder/high flanker. None of this tagging crap, leave that to Hocking and NOB.
NO'B? Seriously? Melksham is a much better tagger and has only consistently played well when used in that role, albeit sparingly. I'm one of Melksham's biggest supporters but he's too inconsistent in that offensive role.

NO'B? Seriously? Melksham is a much better tagger and has only consistently played well when used in that role, albeit sparingly. I'm one of Melksham's biggest supporters but he's too inconsistent in that offensive role.
His best season when he came 3rd in the B&F was as a H2H midfielder with limited to nil tagging duties.

Dont tag, we have a good enough midfield now with the players in there and they need to learn to run both ways otherwise id like to seem them severly exposed and dealt with in the right way rather than relying on one player to do it for the midfield team and letting them off scott free for poor defensive running.

Expose them please. We will never win a premiership if none of them learn to run both ways. Expose them now and dont be found out later.

His best season when he came 3rd in the B&F was as a H2H midfielder with limited to nil tagging duties.

When has Melksham finished third in the Crichton?

I don't think Melksham has ever finished third in the Crichton.
You're right. The year I was thinking of was 2013 and he came 5th. I remember he really kicked it up a notch when Jobe did his collarbone. Maybe he's just one of those guys who thrives on responsibility or something.

Jake hasn't shown the ability to accumulate possessions to play as a primary midfielder. He only averages 16 disposals per game and has only ever gathered 25 or more disposals 5 times in his entire career.

I only said NOB because he's our next best run-with player behind Hocking (beside Jake). Melksham is only a decent tagger because he is the kind of player that thrives in knowing his role. If he can do some more work with the core midfield group and know his role around stoppages then I can guarantee you he'll be one of our most potent attacking weapons. You have to be persistent and patient with him, not too many 23 year olds are the epitome of consistency at AFL level. With Hird's game plan being worked back into the team, I've got a really good feeling about what 2015 holds for Melksh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only said NOB because he's our next best run-with player behind Hocking (beside Jake). Melksham is only a decent tagger because he is the kind of player that thrives in knowing his role. If he can do some more work with the core midfield group and know his role around stoppages then I can guarantee you he'll be one of our most potent attacking weapons. You have to be persistent and patient with him, not too many 23 year olds are the epitome of consistency at AFL level. With Hird's game plan being worked back into the team, I've got a really good feeling about what 2015 holds for Melksh.
NO'B has tagged once in his career, for about a quarter before they realized he was s**t at it and stopped. Melksham is a much better tagger and to me he should be used in that role much more.

Jake hasn't shown the ability to accumulate possessions to play as a primary midfielder. He only averages 16 disposals per game and has only ever gathered 25 or more disposals 5 times in his entire career.
Yeh i was deciding between 20 and 25 when i wrote that. Maybe a slight exaggeration.

Lets hope his improved endurance base means he finds more of the pill. Totally agree more of an impact player rather than an accumulating type.

Melkshams biggest problem is he can't read the play.
Fitness is only a issue with Melksham because he always seems to run to dumb spots on the field, Gleeson and Z Merrett have better footy brains already.

Melkshams biggest problem is he can't read the play.
Fitness is only a issue with Melksham because he always seems to run to dumb spots on the field, Gleeson and Z Merrett have better footy brains already.

Seriously? A bloke reaches AFL level and supposedly 'can't read the play'
Thanks for the laugh mate.

I will put my small irrelevant reputation on the line and say that Melkshem, under direction that is clear and concise will have a very good year.
Tagger, midfielder or whatever, 2014 was a horrid year, but not be because he is devoid of talent (or the ability to read the so called play)

If this club is going to move forward and become a serious premiership contender, it will because of the likes of Jake (and others) coming good again.

Seriously? A bloke reaches AFL level and supposedly 'can't read the play'
Thanks for the laugh mate.

I will put my small irrelevant reputation on the line and say that Melkshem, under direction that is clear and concise will have a very good year.
Tagger, midfielder or whatever, 2014 was a horrid year, but not be because he is devoid of talent (or the ability to read the so called play)

If this club is going to move forward and become a serious premiership contender, it will because of the likes of Jake (and others) coming good again.

He averages 16 possessions a game, imagine if he couldn't read the play then.:eek: *

He at this point in time Melksham lacks footy smarts, something Heppell has in spades.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back