Traded #17: Jake Melksham - Traded to Melbourne for pick 25

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone else still have hope in Melksham?

Yep.

It would be nice to see him settled in position and given some responsibility.

When he kicks the ball well he's in the top 3 or 4 kicks in the side. I'd like to see him left on a wing and for us to look to get the ball into his hands at every opportunity (we should be a whole lot smarter about the way we use Myers, Goddard and Melksham and, conversely the way Heppell, Watson and Stanton are overused when it comes to pulling the trigger with kicks).

He could be a real weapon bringing the ball out of defence and delivering the ball into forward 50. Not sure if you'd rotate him between defensive and offensive positions or set him a weekly task based on opponent (though I suspect it is the latter).

He's a confidence player and it's pretty clear that he and Bomber were not on the same page. I have relatively high hopes for Melksham.

Yep.

It would be nice to see him settled in position and give some responsibility.

When he kicks the ball well he's in the top 3 or 4 kicks in the side. I'd like to see him left on a wing and for us to look to get the ball into his hands at every opportunity. He could be a real weapon bringing the ball out of defence and delivering the ball into forward 50.

He's a confidence player and it's pretty clear that he and Bomber were not on the same page. I have relatively high hopes for Melksham.
Yes he has the potential to do big things in this league.

His biggest problem just seems to be finding the ball. Obviously has a lot of potential but it's difficult to pick a best 22 with Melksham in it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone genuinely not?
I'm pretty damn close to saying not. 24 years old this year, been given all the opportunities in the world with 100 senior games, yet he still slinks around like a second year when things don't go his way. Doesn't seem to have an adaptive bone in his body, combined with footy brain that seems to have more holes in it than a dementia patient.
You just have to ask when writing him off actually is supposed to happen? And how in the world does he get selected now ahead of Gleeson/Jackson/Ashby?
In a way, he is a relic of Hirds early days when he had to hunt down and nurture talent to cover the gaping holes in the list. If he had come along two years later he never would have got to 20 AFL games let alone 96.
Put simply, he has had his chance and blown it*.

* or not

I'm pretty damn close to saying not. 24 years old this year, been given all the opportunities in the world with 100 senior games, yet he still slinks around like a second year when things don't go his way. Doesn't seem to have an adaptive bone in his body, combined with footy brain that seems to have more holes in it than a dementia patient.
You just have to ask when writing him off actually is supposed to happen? And how in the world does he get selected now ahead of Gleeson/Jackson/Ashby?
In a way, he is a relic of Hirds early days when he had to hunt down and nurture talent to cover the gaping holes in the list. If he had come along two years later he never would have got to 20 AFL games let alone 96.
Put simply, he has had his chance and blown it*.

* or not

He is better then them.

He is better then them.
Highly debatable, even with his extra age and experience.
Who would you feel more confidence in when looking at the team selection. Melksham or Gleeson? With Gleeson you could be confident in some poise and good decision making. With Melksham you would just be hoping he didn't stuff up too much. Not sure how he could be regarded as better.

Who would you feel more confidence in when looking at the team selection. Melksham or Gleeson? With Gleeson you could be confident in some poise and good decision making. With Melksham you would just be hoping he didn't stuff up too much. Not sure how he could be regarded as better.
Melksham's more likely to be a match winner but also more likely to be a total liability. I'd pick Gleeson ahead of him.

Two different players.

Is waiting for opportunity in an onball position he will blossom once Watson, Hocking, Goddard have moved on.

It seems like he has cut down a bit of bulk in the limited photos ive seen so maybe back to more of his running best.

I think ideally down the track he becomes a 25 possession inside strong midfielder who rest forward leads up and kicks a goal or 2. Hes won a few games already he doesnt mind the big moments sometimes.

Ive seen him play some excellent games onball and also across the half forward line when he gets high teens and low 20s and kick 2-3 goals

Is waiting for opportunity in an onball position he will blossom once Watson, Hocking, Goddard have moved on.

It seems like he has cut down a bit of bulk in the limited photos ive seen so maybe back to more of his running best.

I think ideally down the track he becomes a 25 possession inside strong midfielder who rest forward leads up and kicks a goal or 2. Hes won a few games already he doesnt mind the big moments sometimes.

Ive seen him play some excellent games onball and also across the half forward line when he gets high teens and low 20s and kick 2-3 goals
Yes at his best that has been the case. But out of the 96 games we've seen it maybe 10 times?
He has been shown up by the likes of Zach, Gleeson and Jackson, who have demonstrated that you can come into a strong side and play a role without making memorable and catastrophic decisions! We aren't talking about his first 20 - 30 games here either, we are talking about someone who continues to make terrible decisions as a relatively senior player. When Zach, Gleeson and Jackson are approaching the 100 game mark, the difference between them and Melksham will be staggering. They will be like Hurley, Bags, Pig, Zaka etc, in that they will be reliable dependable decision makers and foundations of the team.
It's not that Melksham doesn't still have some sort of possibility to turn things around. It's more that this situation has gone on too long and 96 games is simply too many chances. I'm all good for him to wait in the VFL to be a hard body back up for our inside mids, but i don't want him given any more 'speculative' opportunities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back