Retired #18: Michael Hurley šŸ» - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg
Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
Is this also saying that Hird wants him forward, he would be the only person over riding Thompson and interesting that Thompson says "if he had his way".

Could be eluding to the fact that if Hurley goes back we lack a real spearhead up forward (which we all hope gumby and Daniher can fill), but its an interesting point you make

Bomber says lots of things. He's a bit like Sheeds in way. Doesn't mind just putting ideas out there and is not worried in the slightest what people think of those ideas.

Hurley is a forward. Hurley will be a forward in 2013. If he's not a forward I won't be happy...NOT HAPPY JAN!

That's not preferring him as a back. That's seeing that it was necessary and thinking it might have to happen like that given our KPD problems in Hooker and Pears. All things being equal, he has consistently demonstrated he prefers Hurley as a forward.

So no.

That's not preferring him as a back. That's seeing that it was necessary and thinking it might have to happen like that given our KPD problems in Hooker and Pears. All things being equal, he has consistently demonstrated he prefers Hurley as a forward.

So no.

I think seeing it as necessary is just as much of a preference as any other preference.

Hurley will be better as a backman, but that is because it is easier to destroy than it is to create and most people with good physical traits and all round footy skills would be better in defense than forward.

I really think his long term position will be decided by those around him. Carlisle, Hooker and Pears down back and Gumby, Daniher and Crameri up forward. Hurley will play with two out of the trio that stuggles most.

Obviously I'm talking about after Fletch retires and Daniher matures. Until then he'll go backwards and forwards depending on who's fit and in form.

He'll be an All Australian defender one day.

Yeah so were Richards and Dempster this year. No doubt he could be an AA defender but its hardly high expectations for who he is. I think we would be under selling him as a defender.

Seriously is Richards, Schoenmakers (both the #1 KPD) playing in the grandfinal, one who was AA any better than Hooker (who is not our #1 KPD) but would be our second.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

on the other hand, LRT is the FF of the premiers

Yeh nah, no Reid or Goodes playing for them that day.

Whilst the other side had Buddy and Roughead who beat a team by a kick with Walker and Tippett and the pies having an AA in Travis Cloke. The eagles having Kennedy and Darling. Fremantle having Pavlich, Geelong having Hawkins.

Jack Riewoldt is the only one that goes against the trend really.

I think seeing it as necessary is just as much of a preference as any other preference.

I see what you're saying, but is it, though? Is necessity as much a preference as desire is? I don't know, but it's not the vibe I got, anyway.

dat body work on nick riewoldt

Could watch it all day. Against arguably the best player in the comp at the time when we were under seige - he had every excuse to bottle it and give away a free kick. Can not teach that.

It's a pity we probably won't get to see much of it in 2013 with him forward again. Just praying the surgery has improved his wrist so he doesn't have to rely on brute strength all the time and can finally get some "easy" goals.

As far as I'm concerned, after changing my mind about 12 times, he's a forward until we have a key forward capable of averaging 2.5+ goals per game, and another key forward capable of kicking bags of 5+ every now and then. All good sides have that potential (Sydney being a notable exception, but it's dangerous territory to try and model yourself on an exception).

As far as I'm concerned, after changing my mind about 12 times, he's a forward until we have a key forward capable of averaging 2.5+ goals per game, and another key forward capable of kicking bags of 5+ every now and then. All good sides have that potential (Sydney being a notable exception, but it's dangerous territory to try and model yourself on an exception).

Exactly. Just because a side is good or has been the best doesn't mean that they are a model that we should follow.

It is why I don't care what Thompson said about his preference for Hurley in defence. Bomber got used to life without a champion key forward. It is only natural that he'd place less emphasis on the value of such a player. I'd point to the close calls in 2007 prelim, the lost 2008 GF and the 2011 GF victory as reason enough to say that Geelong was always susceptible because it didn't have that final string to its bow (being the champion key forward who could stand up and win them games himself).

Sydney has exposed its own uncertainty in its forward set up by chasing Tippett for ridiculous money (considering his output) and seemingly at the expense of its culture.

The only reason Hawthorn is as active as it has been during trade week as it has been for the last few years is because it is trying to plug the holes in its defence caused by the botched development/recruiting of 3 or so KPPs who are no longer on their list.

As far as I'm concerned, after changing my mind about 12 times, he's a forward until we have a key forward capable of averaging 2.5+ goals per game, and another key forward capable of kicking bags of 5+ every now and then.
John Anthony kicked 50 goals in 2009.

Assuming our side keeps improving, it might not matter whether it's Hurley or not.

Crameri's easily capable of 50 goals in a season, if we play well; he's fallen away the last two years, really only when the rest of the side has.

Paddy kicked 4 in a quarter on one of the (at the time) form Full Backs, and is capable enough.

I don't think it has to be Hurley.

Like DaSawx said, for me it just depends on how Pears/Hooker and Gumbleton/Daniher go.

I started to think towards the end of this year that we needed him as a defender, but right now I have more faith in Pears/Hooker recapturing form and fitness than I do in Gumbleton playing a full season and becoming a very good player, and an 18 year old beanpole turning it on as a key forward.

John Anthony kicked 50 goals in 2009.

Assuming our side keeps improving, it might not matter whether it's Hurley or not.

Crameri's easily capable of 50 goals in a season, if we play well; he's fallen away the last two years, really only when the rest of the side has.

Paddy kicked 4 in a quarter on one of the (at the time) form Full Backs, and is capable enough.

I don't think it has to be Hurley.

Like DaSawx said, for me it just depends on how Pears/Hooker and Gumbleton/Daniher go.

I started to think towards the end of this year that we needed him as a defender, but right now I have more faith in Pears/Hooker recapturing form and fitness than I do in Gumbleton playing a full season and becoming a very good player, and an 18 year old beanpole turning it on as a key forward.

Yeah, I'm not saying it has to be Hurley, but I'm saying he has to be forward until the others prove they can perform to a top 4 standard without him.

If Crameri kicked all the goals he missed from inside 25m this year he would have gone close to 50, so it should be achievable...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back