Retired #18: Michael Hurley šŸ» - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg
Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:

"Michael's gone [to Colorado] because we believe he can play off the half-backline," Hird said.
Source

I say it's media bluff. Turning Hurls into a midfielder.:cool:

Watson, Stanton, Goddard, Hurley, Zaka, Myers, Howlett, Heppell, Hocking...

Seriously, though, I'm not sure I expected/understand this 'half-backline' business for Hurley. I doubt I'd be alone in thinking that we generally see him as one of bookends...of course, he is a smart player.

"Michael's gone [to Colorado] because we believe he can play off the half-backline," Hird said.
Source

I say it's media bluff. Turning Hurls into a midfielder.:cool:

Watson, Stanton, Goddard, Hurley, Zaka, Myers, Howlett, Heppell, Hocking...

Seriously, though, I'm not sure I expected/understand this 'half-backline' business for Hurley. I doubt I'd be alone in thinking that we generally see him as one of bookends...of course, he is a smart player.

That's terrible reporting if that's Ralphy's source.

"]"Michael's gone [to Colorado] because we believe he can play off the half-backline"

That quote was refering to Hibbered.

Hird went on to "Michael Hurley" has been sent to Colorado because they see the centre half forward positon requiring a huge tank and also because his wrist is still healing and he can;t do ball work just yet.

CHF will be his spot.

He did say also that they hope to get 10-15 games out of Daniher next year but won;t be disspointed if they don't. He said Daniher was further advanced aerobically than expected and would be right to play AFL next year.

Interesting to see where Gumby fits.

That's terrible reporting if that's Ralphy's source. I was sourcing my quote.

"]"Michael's gone [to Colorado] because we believe he can play off the half-backline" The article read to say it was Hurley, and now this content has been removed from the AFL article, strangely enough.

That quote was refering to Hibbered.I didn't think Hibberd was in Colorado...?

Hird went on to "Michael Hurley" has been sent to Colorado because they see the centre half forward positon requiring a huge tank and also because his wrist is still healing and he can;t do ball work just yet. It's entirely possible that guy (Mark Macgugan) stuffed up his reporting on the AFL website, which I was relying on. Is there a link to Hirdy's actual words (audio)?

CHF will be his spot. Not sure its locked in. As others have said, depends on performances of Pears, Hooker, Carlisle, Gumby, JD.

He did say also that they hope to get 10-15 games out of Daniher next year but won;t be disspointed if they don't. He said Daniher was further advanced aerobically than expected and would be right to play AFL next year.

Interesting to see where Gumby and Ryder fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it would be a good move for him to slim down a bit.. the AFL has done its best to legislate the 'wrestle' out of the game and therefore the opportunities for one on one strength contests are dwindling. More often than not, if you do get into a show of strength the yellow maggots will call a free one way or the other. If Hurley can maintain core strength but increase the capacity to run out games and push higher up when needed as an 'outlet' coming out of defence, I think he adds even more potency to our attack.

well overdue our grey heritage jumper did absolute nothing for those love handles :p

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2013-01-07/bombers-back

A slimmed down Michael Hurley continued to show positive signs.....

YG6vv_GIF_Collection_of_someone_eating_popcorn-s320x240-181195-580.gif

s**t is about to get real people......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back