Retired #18: Michael Hurley šŸ» - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg
Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
let us all remind ourselves of what the great man is capable of...

hurleygoodquality_zpsf78f521b.gif

Here's the thing with Hurley, He is going to be a fantastic forward, or the best fullback in the competition, we can't go wrong here. 2012 (his 4th year) was to be his break out year, and he showed awesome signs when he got on the park, unfortunately that wrist stuck with him throughout the entire year (culminating with him finishing the season playing with an oven mitt on his hand).
We have to remember he's still learning the game as a forward to an extent as well, as he played all of his tac cup footy at fullback, so that defender instinct isn't going anywhere either.
He just needs to be given a position and allowed to stick fat, not fussed whether its back or forward (prefer back though), all he needs is some continuity, both with position and injury.

Sometimes I feel like we expect a bit too much from him and forget he's only 22, some talls simply take longer to put it all together than others. Kong's mentioned what he can do when he puts it all together, and it's brilliant, but still inconsistent, which is completely understandable.
If he plays 22 games in 2013 we'll finally see him put it all together and become the force of nature we all know he can be.

It's an interesting debate Heppell VS Hurley - Taking into account Hurley having injury issues and being a tall - Hurley showed more in his first two years than Heppell - Hurley definitely has more impact on his games.

My aim for Hurley in 2013 is to win the B and F - I rate him potentially as the most talented player on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an interesting debate Heppell VS Hurley - Taking into account Hurley having injury issues and being a tall - Hurley showed more in his first two years than Heppell - Hurley definitely has more impact on his games.

My aim for Hurley in 2013 is to win the B and F - I rate him potentially as the most talented player on our list.
"Potentially the most talented player on the list". Tortology. You're either potentially the best player on the list or the most talented player on the list

"Potentially the most talented player on the list". Tortology. You're either potentially the best player on the list or the most talented player on the list

I have a different interpretation of talented - People tell me that Cupido was gifted/talented - I dont think he was that talented - talented players produce consistent performances week after week - and have a limited difference between their best and worst performances. So what Hurley must do is improve his consistencty ( only a little ) and be more selective in how he uses his energy.

I have a different interpretation of talented - People tell me that Cupido was gifted/talented - I dont think he was that talented - talented players produce consistent performances week after week - and have a limited difference between their best and worst performances. So what Hurley must do is improve his consistencty ( only a little ) and be more selective in how he uses his energy.

Cupido was a very talented player. I use to watch him play on the GC when he was running with the Lions reserves side. The way he moved around and used the ball was miles ahead of the average non-afl player. They couldn't touch him. But his problem- like many 'gifted' players before and after him- was that he lacked mental toughness at AFL level. There's a fine line.

Hurley has enormous mental toughness. The ability to concentrate and focus his attack on the ball over and over again is his biggest strength. Sure he drops marks sometimes and gets into the wrong position, but he's so young and still has so much improvement to come. He's not at the Dunstall/Carey/Lockett consistent level atm, but no one is expecting him to be that.

You don't have to be the most talented player around to be consistently good every week. Just look at Shane Tuck's season...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back