1st TEST: AUSTRALIA vs SRI LANKA, BELLERIVE OVAL (aka THE BOOT), FRI-TUE

WHAT WILL BE THE RESULT OF THE TEST MATCH?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

First time I've seen Kanuratne. Looks really good off his pads from the little so far. Starc needs to fix his line to the lefty.

Also, early signs are this will be Hilf's last Test until 2014. Very early in both cases though.

What's with all the suggestions that Sri Lanka won't even make 200? I would find that surprising. Dilshan, Sanga, Mahela and an in-form Mathews. Can post a massive score if they are on the ball. Likely will if we keep bowling the shit line that we currently are.

What's with all the suggestions that Sri Lanka won't even make 200? I would find that surprising. Dilshan, Sanga, Mahela and an in-form Mathews. Can post a massive score if they are on the ball. Likely will if we keep bowling the shit line that we currently are.
That is a big if. Look at the last series versus NZ. Not the greatest attack in the world but they constantly failed.

dilshan, jayawardene, sangakkara, samaraweera, mathews. we have the runs on the board now, but we'd kill for some of those names in our lineup.

I forgot Samaraweera. He's Lanka's version of Hussey.

good solid innings from the aussies. Almost everyone made a contribution.

Braedsman or whatever your name is, Clarke is a great captain who puts the team first and individual accomplishments second. He has broken a record that not even Don Bradman could make with his batting, and deserves all the circle jerks that are being performed around this country of ours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get the reasoning behind brining s bowler on for 1 over only...
Lyon can be dangerous in his own right, and in this case it allowed for the extra over before tea while the batsmen weren't set. A lot of the time it seems like a waste, but this time around it was a good move - six extra deliveries with fresh batsmen in is worth a try if it doesn't mean bolwing second raters to do it.

Stupid declaration - sorry - essentially made it impossible to win the test in my opinion only.
#thatswhyclarkeiscaptainandnotmeiknow

In the case of rain, the two things you need to do is score fast yourself, and take 20 wickets.
So why declare early when the scoring rate was so fast, make it extremely unlikely to enforce the follow on, and therefore have to bat again.
We have released the pressure to some extent. We needed to bat on and make 600 plus if possible.
We also have saved the Sri Lankan bowling lineup having to take 20 wickets.

Remember, this Sri Lankan batting lineup has 4 players averaging over 50, 2 more averaging over 40, and another over 30. Don't be fooled by their poor bowling stocks. They will back themselves to make 500 plus here, and any more than 550 will put big pressure back on the Australian top order. If it's like anything like other innings, we could then be 3 or 4 down before hitting the lead.

And of course, Murphy's Law says that they will now fold like a pack of cards, making my prediction ridiculous.

Stupid declaration - sorry - essentially made it impossible to win the test in my opinion only.
#thatswhyclarkeiscaptainandnotmeiknow

In the case of rain, the two things you need to do is score fast yourself, and take 20 wickets.
So why declare early when the scoring rate was so fast, make it extremely unlikely to enforce the follow on, and therefore have to bat again.
We have released the pressure to some extent. We needed to bat on and make 600 plus if possible.
We also have saved the Sri Lankan bowling lineup having to take 20 wickets.

Remember, this Sri Lankan batting lineup has 4 players averaging over 50, 2 more averaging over 40, and another over 30. Don't be fooled by their poor bowling stocks. They will back themselves to make 500 plus here, and any more than 550 will put big pressure back on the Australian top order. If it's like anything like other innings, we could then be 3 or 4 down before hitting the lead.

And of course, Murphy's Law says that they will now fold like a pack of cards, making my prediction ridiculous.

I'd agree with you more, but most of SL's batsmen are not as good away from the subcontinent.

However, Hilfenhaus in particular needs to improve his line (Starc is just being Starc). If he doesn't penetrate here, he will find it hard to justify his place moving forward.

Back