1st Test New Zealand v Australia Feb 29-Mar 4 0830hrs @ the Basin Reserve

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow. Andrew McDonald reckons that Labuschagne 's 2 might be in the same stratosphere as Rob Quiney's 9:

“And I thought in the second innings, and this is really hard to sort of quantify, but I thought the intent, the energy he brought to the crease, and it was only two runs, I don’t want to get carried away with two runs, but that’s what we see when he’s at his best.”

"Energy he brought to the crease"

Is that the cricket version of the "non statistical role" small forward who "does the team stuff" and gets 7 touches, 1 tackle and 0.2 goals a game?

I just read this and nearly had a stroke. Never seen such a deluded take and it’s from the coach.
They know that the pressure is really started to mount on Lab, so they feel the need to double down on the public support & make ridiculous statements like this...It seems to happen quite often these days & lets not forgot, McDonald's also a selector as well as the coach.

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is that the cricket version of the "non statistical role" small forward who "does the team stuff" and gets 7 touches, 1 tackle and 0.2 goals a game?
It's worse.

McDonald has mistaken Lab's nervous, don't-get-out energy for intent.

Glenn Phillips is now only one of four cricketers who have scored a hundred, taken a five for, taken a catch and made a stumping in international cricket.
The others being Jimmy Adams (WI), John Reid (NZ) and Mahmudullah (Ban).
Of those four, only Reid and Mahmudullah have done so in Test matches.

Been a long 18 months for the Aussies.Must be hanging out for a break after NZ.
Last season Domestic summer
Tour of India
Ashes in England
ODI WC in India.
Our Domestic schedule
Now the Kiwi tour.
T20 WC ,West Indies +United States in June.
Boys need a break after NZ.
Time to roll out Australia A if other games need to be played.

Wow. Andrew McDonald reckons that Labuschagne 's 2 might be in the same stratosphere as Rob Quiney's 9:

“And I thought in the second innings, and this is really hard to sort of quantify, but I thought the intent, the energy he brought to the crease, and it was only two runs, I don’t want to get carried away with two runs, but that’s what we see when he’s at his best.”
Equivalent of park crickets "yeah he doesn't score many but he has top shelf cordial ratios, room in his boot for the team kit and is happy to umpire 30 overs at square leg"

Been a long 18 months for the Aussies.Must be hanging out for a break after NZ.
Last season Domestic summer
Tour of India
Ashes in England
ODI WC in India.
Our Domestic schedule
Now the Kiwi tour.
T20 WC ,West Indies +United States in June.
Boys need a break after NZ.
Time to roll out Australia A if other games need to be played.
How many of the test team play in the domestic schedule?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s “woke” about saying batter?
We say bowler rather than bowlsman.
If someone wants to say “batsman” fair enough, not sure someone getting their knickers in a knot about someone saying batter makes anyone “woke”.
Am I allowed to say fielder, or must it be fieldsman?
Keeper is a tricky one I suppose. Keeperman sounds a bit odd, sounds more like a title to a Nick Cave song rather than a cricket term.
No longer a nightwatchman now a nighthawk???

It's worse.

McDonald has mistaken Lab's nervous, don't-get-out energy for intent.

That's sounds like something Simon Goodwin would say.

What’s “woke” about saying batter?
We say bowler rather than bowlsman.
If someone wants to say “batsman” fair enough, not sure someone getting their knickers in a knot about someone saying batter makes anyone “woke”.
Am I allowed to say fielder, or must it be fieldsman?
Keeper is a tricky one I suppose. Keeperman sounds a bit odd, sounds more like a title to a Nick Cave song rather than a cricket term.
So until what maybe last year there were batsman, third man, nightwatchman, but I suppose you called them batters, third?, nighthawks? I can’t be bothered to trawl through your woke posts from2-3 years ago but I reckon you might have mentioned batsmen or maybe I’m wrong so I apologise in advance.

So until what maybe last year there were batsman, third man, nightwatchman, but I suppose you called them batters, third?, nighthawks? I can’t be bothered to trawl through your woke posts from2-3 years ago but I reckon you might have mentioned batsmen or maybe I’m wrong so I apologise in advance.
I probably did.
I can’t think that id ever get my knickers in a knot about it though.

I just read this and nearly had a stroke. Never seen such a deluded take and it’s from the coach.
Yea this is concerning. I wish he was making runs too and wish he wasn't just about deserving a spell. But it's not the case and pretending otherwise or deluding yourself with this nonsense is not going to help.

Yea this is concerning. I wish he was making runs too and wish he wasn't just about deserving a spell. But it's not the case and pretending otherwise or deluding yourself with this nonsense is not going to help.
Publicly backing his batsman, as they do, but reading this you can tell he is not happy with the batting full stop.

McGrath, Warne, Gillespie & Lee played together in 16 Tests. The first 3 & Kasprowicz played 15. The first 3 & Bichel played 2.
Thank you. I was surprised to some degree: my gut feeling was that the McGrath-Warne-Gillespie-Lee combination would be around 25 Tests.

It's interesting, to at least some of us, to see the list of the 16 Tests and to consider the results.

• 2001 vs England away: all five Tests;
  • 2001/02 vs New Zealand at home: all three Tests;
  • 2001/02 vs South Africa at home: 1st Test only at Adelaide (three Test series);
  • 2001/02 vs South Africa away: all three Tests;
  • 2002/03 vs Pakistan away (at neutral venues Sri Lanka and UAE): 1st Test only at Colombo (three Test series);
  • 2002/03 vs England at home: 3rd Test only at Perth (five Test series); and
  • 2005 vs England away: 1st Test (Lord's) and 3rd Test (Old Trafford) only (five Test series).

Results: 10 wins, 4 draws (3 draws vs NZ in 2001/02; Old Trafford in 2005) and 2 losses (Headingley 2001 and Durban 2002). For both losses, the opponents scored 300+ in the fourth innings to win.

Fair go, he just made a sparkling 10.
For those unaware, this is one of the last posts on this board by Fred who sadly passed away last month.
Made many a contribution to this board.

RIP Fred.

Back