Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with the good points about Scott but you're underselling Bomber. The team were absolutely in no man's land when he arrived. Yet not low enough to be given a golden ticket collection of top 5 picks over several years - unlike other coaches before creating dynasty teams etc.

You can say he had a super talented list but he and his assistants developed most from below top 20 picks where they easily could've gone either way. Wells simply got even better at finding value late in the draft or via obscure means later on.

Building a team from scratch that can go on to win 2 flags (should've been 3 but for one disastrous day) and play some of the best footy in the club's history while finally breaking our drought - it deserves so much credit. And the core squad to go on and win a third - I still give Scott all the credit in the world for that but appreciate it also as an after glow of Bombers legacy.

Around 2006 Thompson was perhaps around his Scott 2021 moment. Not age profile wise for the list but as far as was he going to be able to take this group to glory. He did it and sometimes we take that for granted because "it was a team of superstars" in hindsight.

Yes Thompson got two generational father sons in Ablett and Scarlett, then the early stages of another in Hawkins. But Scott got the peak years of the latter, plus Selwood, and a club now immersed in success heading into the free agency era where the dream of keeping a club at the top was possible.

So the era of success I think lands Danger, Cameron and a few others to give Scott that second chance at glory. Which again, he's done a magnificent job of. But my point is the two go hand in hand and we should just gladly look at the whole package of the past 20 odd years. With two incredible coaches and teams around them, with dedication of the players to match, we get 4 flags and 6 GFs, almost constantly thereabouts and a club now affiliates with success + top notch culture.

I give my thanks to both of them equally.
Yeah I do agree with that. Certainly not trying to undersell Bomber or his contributions. He was fantastic for our club and we needed him big time.

He was a very good coach, but IMO Scott is miles ahead of him in my view. Scott is a great coach and a notch above IMO. But I understand I'll probably be in the minority thinking that and that's okay.

I just rate Scott in the Clarkson mould, so anyone else by comparison will suffer!

That fox footy article was great. Makes you wonder why they didn’t change their game style earlier. It still hurts that we didn’t make more of our final appearances from 2016-2020. 2022 makes up for it somewhat but I want more. Is that greedy?

I think me being greedy highlights a good point. We’re so use to and conditioned for success at this point that anything but winning and winning finals isn’t good enough

Makes you wonder why they didn’t change their game style earlier.
This is a real furphy. The gameplan was constantly changed from year to year. the slower controlled plan was actually a change in itself, deliberately designed to defeat pressure football. It failed but it was not through lack of innovation.

This is a real furphy. The gameplan was constantly changed from year to year. the slower controlled plan was actually a change in itself, deliberately designed to defeat pressure football. It failed but it was not through lack of innovation.
It pretty much failed solely due to the existence of Dustin Martin.

I feel like though at one point they could have realised the slow build up just wasn’t working regardless of little tweaks. But hey that’s history.

Got to watch most of the game on TV for the first time tonight and noticed during the presentation that Scott tried to get out of there pretty quickly when the team joined him and Joel on stage with the cup but Blicavs dragged him back in. Speaks volumes to them both, Scott wanted to leave the players to celebrate their achievement and Blicavs wanted him to be a part of what he deserved.

:musicalnote: Hardwick's gone and Scotty's here
There's nothing left for you to fear
Shake your arse come over here
Now scream
I'm a burning effigy
Of everything I used to be
Joel's my rock of empathy, my dear

So come on let me entertain you:musicalnote:

Ok, hypothetical, if by some reason CS decided he would also like to retire from coaching right now, on a high, who would be suggested as his replacement?
This to me is as difficult- no, more difficult, than who takes over as captain.
For all those who wanted him gone, pretty sure they will not reply to this, but I really struggle with this question every year, more so now.

Ok, hypothetical, if by some reason CS decided he would also like to retire from coaching right now, on a high, who would be suggested as his replacement?
For all those who wanted him gone, pretty sure they will not reply to this, but I really struggle with this question every year, more so now.
Joel Selwood ;)

If I have to go with someone who is kinda gettable, Kenny Hinkley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be looking at Shaun Grigg. Been impressed with how he speaks and I reckon he'd do quite well. I wonder if we say to him go to another club as an assistant, get some ip and then come back to replace Scotty?

Unlike norf or essendon I think for us getting a new coach in would be the best idea with the rest of our setup being as strong as it is.

There's never a shortage of really good candidates across the competition.

Based on the way Scott has spoken about him for more than a decade including at last night's Carji, I suspect he'd be pushing for Nigel Lappin.

Recent revelations about the happenings at Haw probably darken the door of a few potential coach ... even if they are totally innocent of any of the claims.

It would be interesting who they even interviewed.... unlike somewhere like Ess.... everyman and his dog woul dbe falling over themselves to get to Geelong imo

I have thought he was already our greatest coach in my lifetime- 66 today!- and this premiership is perfect icing on the Cake!.
CS is more than a coach. He is the voice of Geelong. He commands respect without demanding. Most true footy supporters of other clubs really appreciate his greatness, and others who dislike him admit their envy.
I love what he said about Selwood- how great it is to coach a team with Joel as the Captain.
Bon anniversaire Vdubs
Hope you got some premiership memorabilia for the big day👍

No anniversaire Vdubs
Hope you got some premiership memorabilia for the big day👍
Hoping to get the laminated poster of the premiership team. Have 3 -7,9,11 already. Looks great on the wall at work.

Last edited:
That fox footy article was great. Makes you wonder why they didn’t change their game style earlier. It still hurts that we didn’t make more of our final appearances from 2016-2020. 2022 makes up for it somewhat but I want more. Is that greedy?

I think me being greedy highlights a good point. We’re so use to and conditioned for success at this point that anything but winning and winning finals isn’t good enough

No its not. It still burns for me too.
But hey anything is possible for this team in 2023!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back