I was wrong about Chris Scott!

Remove this Banner Ad

I am probably more curious to his comments about the club was on the verge of imploding end of 2019, we knew a review took place but must have been more brutal than the club let on.

There were 3 common players between our 2011 and 2022 flags (1 was Duncan who was a very young substitute). So he basically rebuilt the entire side between flags. And he did that whilst missing the finals once and rarely being out of contention.

No tanking, no high draft picks and most importantly no years of irrelevance when all we have to hang out hat on as supporters is the vague hope that we will be good again in 5 years.

No other coach in the league has done that, ever.

He is the best coach in the league. No doubt.

We didn’t change the game plan, we have kept the fundamentals of what we have done so well over many years and built upon it again with improved personnel in 2022.

Buckley was on SEN the other day saying how difficult it is to coach against Scott and how we swing an extra number behind the ball to control it from the back half. That Scott’s king philosophy is protect and control the ball from defense then attack from there.

Do you think we stopped doing that this year?? Or we just incremented on it??

We didn’t win the premiership in those years for the same reason Clarkson didn’t win the premiership from 09-12, and the same reason hardwick didn’t win the flags for years prior to 2017.

A premiership game plan is years and years in the making and takes a lot to get it right including personnel staff and luck all coming together.

What you are finding difficult to comprehend about this is confusing and shows a lack of depth when it comes to understanding how footy really works
Yes, and no.
We didn’t completely overhauled our game plan, but we did make some significant adjustments this year.
The same adjustments that many had been crying out for for years.
Those comments from supporters don’t show a lack of depth of understanding but rather highlight the depth of their understanding.

It took time to get there but credit that we did get there and we can’t ask for more than a flag!! 😃

Scott is an amazing coach and we’re lucky to have him at the club. Ultimately we needed a game plan to win premierships and that’s what we got this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, and no.
We didn’t completely overhauled our game plan, but we did make some significant adjustments this year.
The same adjustments that many had been crying out for for years.
Those comments from supporters don’t show a lack of depth of understanding but rather highlight the depth of their understanding.

It took time to get there but credit that we did get there and we can’t ask for more than a flag!! 😃
The many you are referring to wanted the following:
  • Scott sacked stating he is incapable of developing his own list that can win a flag
  • wanted to get rid of half the senior list and hit the draft hard for many many years gone by
  • stop playing defense first footy which we did not listen to
  • stop recruiting mature age players

If we had listened to even half the above points, which we obviously didn’t. We would not have a premiership flag.

Thank god the club does not listen to supporters opinions and does what it believes in.

The many you are referring to wanted the following:
  • Scott sacked stating he is incapable of developing his own list that can win a flag
  • wanted to get rid of half the senior list and hit the draft hard for many many years gone by
  • stop playing defense first footy which we did not listen to
  • stop recruiting mature age players

If we had listened to even half the above points, which we obviously didn’t. We would not have a premiership flag.

Thank god the club does not listen to supporters opinions and does what it believes in.
Maybe we are on different wavelengths. I’m speaking purely in terms of adjusting the gameplan to be faster and more attacking (without removing many of the defensive elements).

As for the rest, I never made any statement about moving on older players or anything of the sort. Nor did I mention Scott not being capable of developing his own list to win a premiership.

My only concern has been adjusting the game plan, which has been done this year and the results speak for themselves.

This particular aspect was something that supporters were crying out for, and rightly so.

We all, including those inside the club, can have blindspots. Possibly the pressure from outside the club was taken on board and was a catalyst for the change.

There were 3 common players between our 2011 and 2022 flags (1 was Duncan who was a very young substitute). So he basically rebuilt the entire side between flags. And he did that whilst missing the finals once and rarely being out of contention.

No tanking, no high draft picks and most importantly no years of irrelevance when all we have to hang out hat on as supporters is the vague hope that we will be good again in 5 years.

No other coach in the league has done that, ever.

He is the best coach in the league. No doubt.
There’s a reason why they are aiming to 100k members.

It’s because they were able to keep us relevant for all these years and the supporters grew because of our success. Maybe not premiership success, but enough to get the club to this level.

With massive membership- there are a lot of off-field advantages that clubs get that ultimately benefit the playing group and the ability to keep chasing premierships.

Alot of supporters complained that CS and Cook were only interested in generating memberships, but it all really goes hand in hand. You build a successful club and you attract good players and personnel.

Being in contention year after year is one the main reasons that a lot of our traded players come to Geelong for.

Maybe we are on different wavelengths. I’m speaking purely in terms of adjusting the gameplan to be faster and more attacking (without removing many of the defensive elements).

As for the rest, I never made any statement about moving on older players or anything of the sort. Nor did I mention Scott not being capable of developing his own list to win a premiership.

My only concern has been adjusting the game plan, which has been done this year and the results speak for themselves.

This particular aspect was something that supporters were crying out for, and rightly so.

We all, including those inside the club, can have blindspots. Possibly the pressure from outside the club was taken on board and was a catalyst for the change.
we have been trying to move the ball quick for years. Do you actually believe this is a new thing??? just go and watch the finals series from 2020 to work this one out. Please watch the collingwood, brisbane and first half of the grand final to figure it out. When the clamps got put on us from the likes of richmond we simply well apart and couldnt pull it off.

Common sense would tell you the likes of close, stengle, Isac Smith, cameron, Holmes to an extent, Miers improvement, Atkins, Guthrie coming along, have had a huge say in this now going to the level it has in 2022.

The intent has been obvious for years to rebound the footy quick, what was lacking was the capacity under the pressure of sides such as richmond to pull it off.

Last edited:

BTW - what was your previous name on this site? Am I talking to Bobby? Catscollector?

There’s a reason why they are aiming to 100k members.

It’s because they were able to keep us relevant for all these years and the supporters grew because of our success. Maybe not premiership success, but enough to get the club to this level.

With massive membership- there are a lot of off-field advantages that clubs get that ultimately benefit the playing group and the ability to keep chasing premierships.

Alot of supporters complained that CS and Cook were only interested in generating memberships, but it all really goes hand in hand. You build a successful club and you attract good players and personnel.

Being in contention year after year is one the main reasons that a lot of our traded players come to Geelong for.
Geelong were 100% about memberships and 'staying competitive'. We had a large change of non playing personnel in important positions.

BTW - what was your previous name on this site? Am I talking to Bobby? Catscollector?
probably. I am just pointing out that our game plan has been in the works for many many years and that is just how these things generally work to finally get it all to come together and click. We have been trying to move the ball quick off rebounds for years now. We just were not able to pull it off to the level we have this season.

Trying to execute something but not being good enough to do so is entirely different to not trying at all.

It shows a very shallow understanding of football to claim the coaching group woke up one morning in the offseason of 2022 and said " lets move the ball quick" and the rest was history.

all premiership game plans i can think of were in the works for many years of generally failed finals attempts before they finally got the reward. I cannot think of a single premiership group who didnt go through years of failure to reach it.

probably. I am just pointing out that our game plan has been in the works for many many years and that is just how these things generally work to finally get it all to come together and click. We have been trying to move the ball quick off rebounds for years now. We just were not able to pull it off to the level we have this season.

Trying to execute something but not being good enough to do so is entirely different to not trying at all.

It shows a very shallow understanding of football to claim the coaching group woke up one morning in the offseason of 2022 and said " lets move the ball quick" and the rest was history.

all premiership game plans i can think of were in the works for many years of generally failed finals attempts before they finally got the reward. I cannot think of a single premiership group who didnt go through years of failure to reach it.
Yeah - excellent points.

You aim to improve what you have - and it can only be done with the right pieces falling into place. You can’t just magic it into existence in 12 months lol, otherwise every club would do it.

The whole time these last 10 years - we’ve had good bones to our tactical plan for premiership success. Over the CS period - we’ve built significant capability and been nearly there.

So why would we just kick a coach out, wipe away our long term drafting and recruiting plans, erase all the training we’ve put into players, all that connection and cohesion because we didn’t quite get to the premiership?

We’d end up like Essendon or North where the players who’ve been their for entire careers have seen multiple coaches and game-plans come and go. And there they are - no success and almost no gain (apart from money). As a competitive, professional athlete, you’re there for victory and success, not just money. It would be saddening.

Geelong were 100% about memberships and 'staying competitive'. We had a large change of non playing personnel in important positions.
To be successful- you have to act like you’re successful. Even when we didn’t win a premiership- we gave a lot of supporters the feeling of success.

Look at North - they can’t even pretend to be successful and they leak players and staff like no tomorrow. They can’t even attract players there - and it’s literally next to Carlton/Melbourne on the map.

It’s the feeling of the club that attracts players and personnel. If you unashamedly chase success every year (and you have to be realistic- it won’t happen every year) - you will attract people who also want success. And sooner or later it will click.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t have a problem with even handed appraisal and analysis.

But I’ll never be able to work out how before and even after yesterday people can be as flippant as to just say ‘we should have changed the game plan earlier.’

2-3 years ago we didn’t have the following league standard players either at the club at all, or ready to play the role they did this year: de Koning, Holmes, Z Guthrie, Stengle, Close, Atkins, Henry, Parfitt. That’s a third of a team. Players like Kolo and Bews weren’t up to the standard they are now, Blicavs hadn’t been experimented with in his current role. Before last year We didn’t have Isaac Smith. We didn’t have Cameron.

Could we have attempted our current game plan? Yep. Would it have worked? Maybe it still would have led us to a grand final yesterday, I don’t know, but I don’t see any evidence to suggest that it would have won us a flag before.

So Scott made his decisions, along with the rest of the coaching group, to try and keep competing with what we had at our disposal, and maintain the plan we had been using. We weren’t good enough but there is no formula that you can know a different approach would have worked.

And you know what? There were many times this year when the lessons learned from those past gameplans came back and helped us. The final against Collingwood at times when we had to take the sting out of the match. The Richmond game likewise.

We get to this year and while there are still a couple of players who are almost rookies, the majority were physically and mentally ready to not only buy into a new approach but were battle ready

I'll put my hand up, I was wrong too and am happily eating humble pie.

After 07/09/11 I believed we had to go back to the draft to rebuild but it turns out free agency in 2012 was the game changer. I didn't change with the times, Scott & the Cats did.

Geelong had some absolute shocking finals under Scott. He was also excellent this year.

I'll put my hand up, I was wrong too and am happily eating humble pie.

After 07/09/11 I believed we had to go back to the draft to rebuild but it turns out free agency in 2012 was the game changer. I didn't change with the times, Scott & the Cats did.
Took a decade for you to be wrong though. And I get why you thought the draft was the best option - we had wells

Geelong had some absolute shocking finals under Scott. He was also excellent this year.

Took a decade for you to be wrong though. And I get why you thought the draft was the best option - we had wells
I don't think our list was (quite) good enough to win a flag until we were able to bring in another superstar forward and a young key defender(s) came through to replace a very old/slow pair in Taylor/Henderson. Effectively SDK has done that, Kolo and Henry stepped up while Zuthrie came good and Duncan was able to move back.

Forward-wise, we did that with Cameron but for physical and personal reasons, last year we only got a tease. But not only that, we then unearthed another game changing forward in Stengle, while Close came on leaps and bounds. Finally a forward mix with speed, skill, stamina and pressurising ability. Game changing.

The game plan evolution simply couldn't have occurred without some of those personnel changes and natural development of others. Like they said, it had been a few years acknowledging the issues and working on them. 2 grand finals and a premiership in the last 3 years showed they knew what they were doing.

If they didn't stay challenging previously, who knows if they could've taken the same path. But going for it all guns blazing until Hawkins and Selwood (and more recently, Dangerfield) retire was the right move. Eventually they got all the pieces of the puzzle together and also had a good run with injuries/player energy levels come finals. Previous years without a deep squad, that was never possible. Our top 26 now is the same level our top 16 or so used to be before a significant drop off.

This is the one thing I was adamant that we'd done wrong, as culturally all the other guys had left but the head honcho remained. Never have I been more glad to be wrong than I was at 5pm on Saturday.

Admittedly, I could already see changes during the pre-season and after our first few games - which is all we ever really wanted - but it was in the second half of the season where you could see his attitude had changed and everything really was different at the club, that I truly realized he was the man for the job long-term.

For all the sh*t so many of us would have piled on to Chris Scott over the years, the most amazing thing I think he's been able to do, is constantly reinvent himself, learn from his mistakes and learn to change. It's something I respect so much, and it's why there was acceptance of such big change and it resulting in our fortunes changing, in 2022.

Sign him up 'til 2030 for all I care now. The guy is the best coach of the modern era, and has shown that he's not stuck in his ways and is constantly adaptable. The biggest evidence for mine of this is how we so arrogant to Richmond in 2020 in Round 9, and then walked into Hardwick's coaching box 5 minutes before the GF ended, and said 'you guys were too good, congratulations.' It was for me, the beginning of seeing a coach who could understand his flaws and try to grow as a person. Ripping up the coaching structure and allowing greater input this year while 17 other clubs stayed with that structure, was another way he improved as a person and a coach - after getting so close with his previous 'comfortable' game plan of defence and control, that had got us so close the last 5 years.

Bravo Chris Scott. To me, your biggest achievements are your growth as a person, inside and outside the club - and I couldn't be prouder to say I was wrong about not wanting to extend your tenure at the end of last season.

:)

It would be interesting to know how many of the players we traded in would have come if we were in a rebuild and not perennial contenders. Would PFD left Adelaide if we were years off a flag? Would Cameron have come, or Stengle?
Without the extra forward power up front that we had this year would we have been able to get such results from moving it so quickly?
Should the changed role for Blics have happened sooner? Given no-one else has ever done that you would think not. Could it even have worked without have multiple capable forwards. Leaving Stanley down back creating the spare only works if your forwards can consistently overcome the extra they are potentially against. The emergence of link runners in Miers, Holmes, Smith etc make it possible.
It took a long time to get the pieces together but it all happened this year. Can't see how it could have happened earlier.

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back