2009 Draft what would we give away

Remove this Banner Ad

unless you were relatively young youd be cut being sent to the new clubs, premiership wont come around before ur career is over if your around 26 and up

I dont think that long term Maxwell, Goldsack and O'Brien will be able to exist in the same side. They are all too similar in size, just a bit small for the monster forwards, bit too big for the quicker smalls.

Everyone seems interested in trading for the coming draft. It may prove a more valuable move to wait until GC / WS have all their picks and trade with them.

we should trade all our first round draft picks coz its fun:thumbsu: to trade. so trade

thomas
pendles
reid
brown for more first round picks

and trade burns presti coz he looks a bit like pendles in the face. also josh is losing some hair so he might not have many years of footy to play.:eek:

Goldsack will end up about 5 times better than Maxwell. It's only his second year, he'll be a fine player.

Thomas will end up a midfielder. He isn't disposable imo, unless it's for a VERY nice price.

People talk about Goldsack as if he has this massive upside - but I'm not buying. He came into the league as an overage player, he's got a naturally skinny frame, he's a decent athlete but hardly great...where's this massive improvement going to come from?

There's some people who even rate him alongside O'Brien, which is insane, frankly. Anyways, whichever way the club sees it, I'd say one of Goldsack/Maxwell should be used as a trade-chip.

As for Thomas, I'm not advocating giving him away, but if there's an inside mid that we like that we feel would go around the 6-9 range of the draft, I'd pull the trigger.

lets trade the whole team everytime we lose a game.

wouldnt surprise me if some of these posters in our bad years were saying trade bucks

People talk about Goldsack as if he has this massive upside - but I'm not buying. He came into the league as an overage player, he's got a naturally skinny frame, he's a decent athlete but hardly great...where's this massive improvement going to come from?

There's some people who even rate him alongside O'Brien, which is insane, frankly. Anyways, whichever way the club sees it, I'd say one of Goldsack/Maxwell should be used as a trade-chip.

As for Thomas, I'm not advocating giving him away, but if there's an inside mid that we like that we feel would go around the 6-9 range of the draft, I'd pull the trigger.

:eek: Oh! :eek: How are the might fallen! :( Is no one safe?:confused::eek::confused:

:eek: Oh! :eek: How are the might fallen! :( Is no one safe?:confused::eek::confused:

No-one should ever be safe. In list management, the most important thing is to be pragmatic, and not sentimental.

Having said that, a first-22 player should only be traded if;
a) We get a Godfather offer. This tends only to happen when dealing with Freo
b) The player plays a position at which we have surplus depth. Thus my nomination of a flanker and 2 mid-sized defenders.

As much as we'd like it to be, trading will never be additive. We can't drop Toovey, Egan, Holland and Lonie into our top-hat and pull out Daniel Kerr.

I would trade Dale Thomas for a bloke like Jed Adcock, Travis Boak or Ryan Griffen, but only for someone of that calibre. I doubt that would happen, so why bother considering it?

Alan Didak for Nathan Foley?

I would trade Dale Thomas for a bloke like Jed Adcock, Travis Boak or Ryan Griffen, but only for someone of that calibre. I doubt that would happen, so why bother considering it?

No way.Overrated.

Boak & Griffin I'd consider before knocking back. People want to trade Thomas now that he is having a rough trot. I have full confidence it is just a form slump. He has shown enough already to show he will be a player.

Do not trade Didak!!!!!!

I'm almost scared to say it on this board but I would take Foley for Didak, if they added a sweetener I would also consider "gulp" Daisy or Pendles. The discussion is about trading for draft picks, I would be very reluctant to trade any regular senior player for an unknown given our already young list, the only trade value we have is the newer fringe players with potential such as Anthony, Dick, Illes, Stanley, Cook, Reid, Cox, Wellingham etc.

Some people on here are a DISGRACE. Trading Dale Thomas, get the ____ off it. He was a number 2 pick, who has shown so much potential it's not funny. Give the kid a chance to bloody develop. 6 months ago nobody was willing to even trade Thomas for Judd, now they're happy to trade him for a mid-first round pick just because he's in a form slump. Take a look at Gary Ablett Jr's stats in his third year. They are terrible.

For ____ sake, I hate bigfooty sometimes.

EDIT: Even Alan Didak.... our best player this year... is apparently up for grabs in some posters' eyes around here. I can't handle the idiocy. WE HAVE HARDLY ANYBODY WHO CAN HIT TARGETS, WHY TRADE OUR BEST PLAYER - AND ONE OF OUR ONLY PLAYERS WHO CAN HIT A TARGET?

Some people on here are a DISGRACE. Trading Dale Thomas, get the ____ off it. He was a number 2 pick, who has shown so much potential it's not funny. Give the kid a chance to bloody develop. 6 months ago nobody was willing to even trade Thomas for Judd, now they're happy to trade him for a mid-first round pick just because he's in a form slump. Take a look at Gary Ablett Jr's stats in his third year. They are terrible.

EDIT: Even Alan Didak.... our best player this year... is apparently up for grabs in some posters' eyes around here. I can't handle the idiocy. WE HAVE HARDLY ANYBODY WHO CAN HIT TARGETS, WHY TRADE OUR BEST PLAYER - AND ONE OF OUR ONLY PLAYERS WHO CAN HIT A TARGET?

Thankyou hellfire, you saved me the time.

Imagine if we won the tight ones against Brisbane and North. Most would have a far different view of our list. Give the kids some time, let the team develop together. Sometimes a tad a patience is the key.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obrien going to be a gun, give hom some time to settle in after the pre season setback.

Goldy could be anything and is a super player.

Deep down we all know Obree, Johnson and R.Shaw are holding us back.

trade'em delist'em deep'fry'em just get them out and turn the midfield over.

Just so you know, I love Dids and Thomas and wouldn't trade them.

I was merely speculating trades that aren't out of the question in as far as what we may get for them, and how we may be able to fill a specific need.

Eg. I think Didak is better than Foley by a country mile, but Foley would fill a VERY big gap in our current lineup.

Eg2. I love Daisy and he has more talent in his left pinky than most young players, but Boak would address serious deficiencies on our list.

Having said that, losing Didak and/or Thomas would just create a void elsewhere...

It'd be good if people actually read the entire post sometimes instead of just seeing "Thomas" and throwing a fit.

My opinion of Thomas hasn't changed at all in the last 18 months. Yes, he's in a slump right now, but his first 4 rounds were as consistent as any 4 he's put together. It happens to young players - I don't hold it against him. My only problem with Thomas is that he plays the same position as half our team - and if we got a player of the same ilk back who plays midfield, we'd be fools not to take it. It's fun getting attached to players, but club comes before player. Always.

And again, the Gary Ablett comparison is silly. The reason his name comes up so often is because he's just about the only guy people can find who's numbers spike so dramatically. I could just as easily name Ashley Sampi or Farren Ray etc...but that would be just as silly - they're different players.

Get rid of Cloke. Dont know how he won the Copelane medal? We need a centre half forward - at the moment we dont have one. He only performs when we have a good lead and look like winning. He is nowhere to be seen when it is a crunch game. Refuses to stand up and be counted when the game is in the balance. Takes kudos for everyones hard work and kicks a few when the game has been won. Stand up.

Holland has to go as well.

This thread is the most over reactive bunch of crap I've ever laid eyes on, even by Big Footy standards.

Why anyone would want to trade so many of our good young players astounds me. :rolleyes:

Collingwood will never trade Thomas and he will be a star. You can count on it.

And to suggest trading Cloke, Didak, Pendles, Fraser or O'brien is just insane and it WONT happen.

Good Lord.

It'd be good if people actually read the entire post sometimes instead of just seeing "Thomas" and throwing a fit.

My opinion of Thomas hasn't changed at all in the last 18 months. Yes, he's in a slump right now, but his first 4 rounds were as consistent as any 4 he's put together. It happens to young players - I don't hold it against him. My only problem with Thomas is that he plays the same position as half our team - and if we got a player of the same ilk back who plays midfield, we'd be fools not to take it. It's fun getting attached to players, but club comes before player. Always.

And again, the Gary Ablett comparison is silly. The reason his name comes up so often is because he's just about the only guy people can find who's numbers spike so dramatically. I could just as easily name Ashley Sampi or Farren Ray etc...but that would be just as silly - they're different players.

How is the Ablett comparison silly? A forward flanker in his early years, who was renowned for doing the flashy things, but was horribly inconsistant despite his enormous talent. Then suddenly, everything clicked and he's the best player in the league. Thomas fits the exact same description, we just have to wait and see how it turns out. Obviously Thomas will never have the core strength of Ablett because of the difference in their frame, but he is taller, and has the advantage in terms of overhead marking etc.

Anyway, I don't know why I would even bother replying to such a nonsense thread. Get a ____ing grip.

Oh, and now Cloke's name is thrown up for trade. LOL! Let's just trade away the foundations of our team for the next 10 years... hell we'll trade Heath Shaw and Pendlebury while we're at it. How about Cloke, Thomas, Pendlebury, Shaw, O'Brien, Goldsack, Didak, Clarke, Brown and Fraser for Boak, Foley and a few draft picks. Yeahhh sounds good to me.

How is the Ablett comparison silly? A forward flanker in his early years, who was renowned for doing the flashy things, but was horribly inconsistant despite his enormous talent. Then suddenly, everything clicked and he's the best player in the league. Thomas fits the exact same description, we just have to wait and see how it turns out. Obviously Thomas will never have the core strength of Ablett because of the difference in their frame, but he is taller, and has the advantage in terms of overhead marking etc.

Anyway, I don't know why I would even bother replying to such a nonsense thread. Get a ____ing grip.

Oh, and now Cloke's name is thrown up for trade. LOL! Let's just trade away the foundations of our team for the next 10 years... hell we'll trade Heath Shaw and Pendlebury while we're at it. How about Cloke, Thomas, Pendlebury, Shaw, O'Brien, Goldsack, Didak, Clarke, Brown and Fraser for Boak, Foley and a few draft picks. Yeahhh sounds good to me.

I'm with you mate. This thread's a joke and I think it is just making me angry!

Johnson - Tough-nut who can break lines, not overly old - worth a 2nd rounder

Obrien - Young KP defender - worth late 1st rounder/2nd rounder

Lockyer - More value to Collingwood then anyone else, our only true utility

Lonie - de-listed at years end, not worth anything

Toovey - Possible 3rd/4th rounder

Maxwell - Maybe a late 2nd or 3rd rounder

Prestiacomo - Too valuable to the Pies, wont be going anywhere

Fraser - 1st rounder + fringe player

Holland - Maybe, maybe not worth a 2nd rounder

The point is Ablett is very much the exception, and not the rule.

Anyways, this thread isn't about Dale Thomas, and fwiw I never said he isn't going to be a good player for us - I just think people using Gary Ablett as the comparison is extremely unfair to Dale. It's only setting us up for disappointment.

I'm curious - why does discussing list management incite such anger? You can be assured our football department does the same thing. No-one's saying we should trade good young players for 50c on the dollar. But why is the subject of player value or player availability suddenly taboo?

I'm with you there - Some posters are making idiots of themeselves:eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back