2012 SEQAFL Division 2 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 2012 SEQAFL Division 2

you spent 6 years at Yeronga .... interesting .... would like to know who you are ... i only spent 26 years at this club in juniors and seniors and proud to be a "1 club player" so if anyone would know about the club i reckon i could fill in some blanks

Well well if you're the moro i'm thinking of you won't find any friends here buddy.

you spent 6 years at Yeronga .... interesting .... would like to know who you are ... i only spent 26 years at this club in juniors and seniors and proud to be a "1 club player" so if anyone would know about the club i reckon i could fill in some blanks
Well Morro you were only a kid when I was there and probaly thought that the club was OK, not realising our contempories were moving forward and leaving us behind......I played in the 80's and we played in the South Queensland Australian Football Association (SQAFA). There was only one division above us, Queensland Australian Football League (QAFL). We competed against Mt Gravatt and Aspley, we were the "big 3" sides. Where are they now? Where are Yeronga? Again tell me this was a good President, I have no beef against the young Corless, don't really know him - I think he was playing juniors back then. Some club Champions were: Greg Carkeet, Humper, Peter Down(Ace), Col Saxelby, Wolf Man and of course Ol Mate Beepa kept us all on the track, rest his soul. Just because my opinion differs from yours does not mean it is wrong - John Corless took this club backwards. Just to add insult a small club called Redlands was playing about 3 divisions below us. Where are they now? Where are Yeronga? We should have stayed as South Brisbane.

Well Morro you were only a kid when I was there and probaly thought that the club was OK, not realising our contempories were moving forward and leaving us behind......I played in the 80's and we played in the South Queensland Australian Football Association (SQAFA). There was only one division above us, Queensland Australian Football League (QAFL). We competed against Mt Gravatt and Aspley, we were the "big 3" sides. Where are they now? Where are Yeronga? Again tell me this was a good President, I have no beef against the young Corless, don't really know him - I think he was playing juniors back then. Some club Champions were: Greg Carkeet, Humper, Peter Down(Ace), Col Saxelby, Wolf Man and of course Ol Mate Beepa kept us all on the track, rest his soul. Just because my opinion differs from yours does not mean it is wrong - John Corless took this club backwards. Just to add insult a small club called Redlands was playing about 3 divisions below us. Where are they now? Where are Yeronga? We should have stayed as South Brisbane.

Thanks for the reply Neutral Observer: Geez mate you're making me feel old now. Ahh those were the days I started playing seniors in 1988 so i take it i didn't play in the same side as you?? Everyone is entitled to their opinion and i know where you stand that's for sure. I just wondered who you are. i Must agree that the old boy Beepa was a true legend what a fantastic heart he had and that dry dry sense of humour was awesome. You have named some other great club blokes but what about Foot?? :) My brother actually played junior footy with Greg Carkeet back when the played at Fehlberg park (Souths Cricket)
There would be many who agree we should have stayed as South Brisbane but i am glad they do recognise the "South Brisbane" history at the club these days. Anyway mate wasn't having a go at ya just wondered who you were

Thanks for the reply Neutral Observer: Geez mate you're making me feel old now. Ahh those were the days I started playing seniors in 1988 so i take it i didn't play in the same side as you?? Everyone is entitled to their opinion and i know where you stand that's for sure. I just wondered who you are. i Must agree that the old boy Beepa was a true legend what a fantastic heart he had and that dry dry sense of humour was awesome. You have named some other great club blokes but what about Foot?? :) My brother actually played junior footy with Greg Carkeet back when the played at Fehlberg park (Souths Cricket)
There would be many who agree we should have stayed as South Brisbane but i am glad they do recognise the "South Brisbane" history at the club these days. Anyway mate wasn't having a go at ya just wondered who you were

Yes footy was good - struggled with a hard ball get though. Some other names that i remember are: The Army boys: Andrew Print, Darryl Doherty and Andrew Potter (extremely quick this one). Also Cutter, Barry Palmer, Alan Watkin, and Stevie Coolwell. We may have played one year. My last year was when Dessie Lashman coached - I actually can't recall if it was 87 or 88.

So what are the tips for this week ?

who will be off to a good start this year, not that means much going on Alexhills good start last year........ because that worked out well ;)

Hello again,

Im hoping some people took notice of my insight into the league earlier before the last pre season game. i took a deeper look at the alex hills footy club as it seemed they were the most discussed team throughout the forum. I have many friends through footy that play for a lot of different clubs and i try to make it to different teams games as much as i can. therefore i thought for a bit of a personal challenge and for viewers entertainment i will review each week round by round giving insight into the teams, their progression as noted, and a tip for the week. I hope i will gather some followers and some feedback and discussion can flow from the review.

Week 1:
I think week one wont surprise many with the results, with the closest encounter looming between Aspley and Alex Hills. There might be a spanner in the works but this seems to be the only game to offer up a real question mark over who will take home the 4 points.

Game 1:
Coorparoo vs Kenmore.

I have happened to see a little of both these teams, especially with how impressive coorparoo were to the tail end of last season and Kenmore also finished off very strongly only just missing out on the semi finals in 2011. Although I really think Kenmore will push for the top four this year with a young running line up, with 22 players will to play on and take the game on, i think coorparoos muscle and strength through the midfield and excellent use of the ball with efficient disposal around the ground will be the difference and coorparoo will get home comfortably. Coorparoo are deffinitely not always the best behaved team, but they'll get the job done.

Coorparoo by 38

Game 2:
Kedron vs Wynnum

Kedron are big improvers I believe from last season. They struggled for a long period of the year and struggled with continuity but found a rhythm toward the back end of the season and were very competitive, and as I understand have held most players with a few promising inclusions. Wynnum on the other hand i think look set to take out the wooden spoon. An ageing side in what seems to be a young fast competition this year, with one too many guys holding on to what used to be. I think Kedron won't have too many problems here. It will be one win on the board, but it still remains how many they'll be able to get.

Kedron by 32

Game 3:
Aspley vs Alexandra Hills

The game has now officially been moved to alex hills as Aspley were too busy taking care of there paid state league players when the blokes who pay there fees to pay there wages werent allowed a game in an average decision by the club. Alex Hills offered there ground up so the game of the week could take action.

Alex Hills started strongly last year and were very weak toward the end of the season only winning 2 of there last 9. Where as Aspley showed promise losing multiple games by only a few points and were unlucky with where they finished. Aspley will look to move into the top four this year with a strong fast moving team but also some bigger bodies in the midfield and will hope this time the pendulum swings their way. The opener last year was a 1 point nail biter and although alex hills pre season form has been unconvincing, they will turn up with a point to prove in 2012. It will be a long hard fought battle, but I think precedence shows Aspley has struggled to get over the line.

This is why I'm going Alex Hills by 4

Game 4:
Yeronga Sth Brisbane vs Robina

Robina is the one team I have heard very little about since the offseason, although there numbers at training have apparently been spectacular with around 60 to training sessions. They struggled to beat a decent side on there day and anyone who turned up looking for a win usually walked away with just that. Yeronga were close but still so far from the big 3 last year (Caloundra, Coorparoo, UQ) but showed the gap when beaten in the finals after destroying Alex Hills by over 100 points in an embarrassing display. Yeronga have enormous potential with their first 22 but struggle to get them all on the park at once. Whatever side they end up fielding tomorrow, they should have Robina's measure, although i do not think Robina will lie down. Yeronga do have some 'troubled' players who seem to believe causing chaos and being a general nuisance will win them the game. ill discipline will see them falter but only time will tell.

Yeronga by 19

Bye: UQ

Also it is unfortunate Caloundra had to fold after being such a force in the last so many years. Hopefully they can get back up and running next season with a big effort from everyone around the club

Big Dog signing out, Goodluck

Thanks BigDog48. You seem very knowledgable on local QLD footy. I take my hat off to you.

Game 3:
Aspley vs Alexandra Hills

The game has now officially been moved to alex hills as Aspley were too busy taking care of there paid state league players when the blokes who pay there fees to pay there wages werent allowed a game in an average decision by the club. Alex Hills offered there ground up so the game of the week could take action.

A very good summary BigDog with the notable exception of one incredibly poorly informed statement - above.

AFLQ are the contracted maintenance company for Graham Road. On Thursday, I understand Dougy Hale had a chat to the AFLQ maintenance supervisor who deemed the surface unsafe. AFLQ then took the decision to relocate, checked with Alex as to the state of their field (without inspection?) after which they informed Aspley officials of the move. No right of appeal was offered.

It is also notable that the Aspley field is the only one in Brisbane (at least that I know of) that is not council owned. That creates a great level of complication when it comes to dealing with both AFLQ and AFLBJ. The Hornets CANNOT close their field unilaterally without being hit with a forfeit. Not an ideal result and therefore not one I can see the officials making regardless of which team is involved.

Statements such as the one you have made can really undermine your credibility as a commentator. Should you decide to continue, I suggest you keep your comments to the football being played (which are very well reasoned and much appreciated) and not the politics. You were way of the mark on this one.

On the last post, Mr Lions may be able to set me straight on the control of the Uni fields. If they are not Council owned, how do you go about ground assessment? My experience is from largely a junior point of view, therefore I may be a little of the mark when it comes to senior fields???

Big Dog, I enjoyed your summary for this week. Can you please use "their", "there" and "they're" correctly though? It was doing my head. Cheers.

Big Dog, I enjoyed your summary for this week. Can you please use "their", "there" and "they're" correctly though? It was doing my head. Cheers.

Welcome to the Queensland footy threads Badg. There's no doubt that, when it comes to some of the guys, they're not really concerned about their grammar. I too wish that they could do their English betterer.

They get 'A' for effort on their posts though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome to the Queensland footy threads Badg. There's no doubt that, when it comes to some of the guys, they're not really concerned about their grammar. I too wish that they could do their English betterer.

They get 'A' for effort on their posts though.

:p, well said.

On the last post, Mr Lions may be able to set me straight on the control of the Uni fields. If they are not Council owned, how do you go about ground assessment? My experience is from largely a junior point of view, therefore I may be a little of the mark when it comes to senior fields???

The UQ fields are owned and controlled by UQ. After a few years of regularly having the ground closed on us for training and some games, they've moved to a ranking system based on the condition of the field. We're now limited to training in running shoes when the ground is overly damp (not great agility work), and some of the soggier parts of the ground are off-limits at times. Not sure how this will be applied on game days.

Oval 7 has suffered since the floods. It's built on top of an old rubbish dump, and since the flood, the southern end of the field is sinking a little, creating puddles that don't drain. It's been quite bad the last couple of weeks. Aside from that, it's got more grass growing on it than we've seen in years (it was a dustbowl for a few seasons). They're looking at re-levelling the ground, but that's upwards of $0.5M.

We have Oakman Park and the Moorooka ground as our emergency fields. (And thankyou to the Roosters for assisting us in that).

How did Kenmore look on the weekend?

long time lurker, first time poster. I'm not affiliated with any side in the league.

Went to watch the Coorparoo vs Kenmore game on the weekend. I was pretty impressed with that I saw from Kenmore.

They seem to have a ruckman who taps well and switches into the forward line. he looked the real deal and will likely cause some issues for opposition clubs this year. They also have a big on-baller who switches down forward who was very lively around the clearances and the sticks. another on-baller who was very good too. Couple of very good big men down back who gave our forwards some trouble.

They need to work on their skills and systems though and they have 3 or 4 little blokes who are a too small for our big blokes and were a bit out of their depth, but I feel like I was watching a top four side when I saw them, although time will tell.

long time lurker, first time poster. I'm not affiliated with any side in the league.

Went to watch the Coorparoo vs Kenmore game on the weekend. I was pretty impressed with that I saw from Kenmore.

They seem to have a ruckman who taps well and switches into the forward line. he looked the real deal and will likely cause some issues for opposition clubs this year. They also have a big on-baller who switches down forward who was very lively around the clearances and the sticks. another on-baller who was very good too. Couple of very good big men down back who gave our forwards some trouble.

They need to work on their skills and systems though and they have 3 or 4 little blokes who are a too small for our big blokes and were a bit out of their depth, but I feel like I was watching a top four side when I saw them, although time will tell.

gee for someone not affiliated with any side , you sure use the word our often

haha IPM thought the exact same thing!!

good to have footy back - good tough game at yeronga for us - came away with the points but some very sore boys! Yeronga have a great website with plenty of pics from the game - looks to be another even season..

Has Matt Lockyer hung the boots up? did play on the weekend...

hey all
i recently moved up from vic and wanted to have a kick. ive been training at grange but can only train once a week due to work commitments. due to the heap of number at the gorillas i think im gonna struggle to get a game. anyone got any suggestions for other clubs. i dont want to play at mayne we played them in a pracco and i thought they were a pretty ordianry club. just looking for a good social club with a friendly atmosphere.
thanks

hey all
i recently moved up from vic and wanted to have a kick. ive been training at grange but can only train once a week due to work commitments. due to the heap of number at the gorillas i think im gonna struggle to get a game. anyone got any suggestions for other clubs. i dont want to play at mayne we played them in a pracco and i thought they were a pretty ordianry club. just looking for a good social club with a friendly atmosphere.
thanks

Aspley Hornet Div 2 Great coach and good bunch of blokes

Looks like the competition might not be as close as some expect. A couple of puzzling results though. How did Wynnum get that close to Coorparoo? How did Kenmore manage to beat Yeronga by that much and how did Uni beat Robina by 80 points in the ones, but lose by 40 points in the twos?

I travelled down to Wynnum to watch Coorparoo v Wynnum on the weekend and watched a good game of footy.
Wynnum got the jump on Coorparoo early on in the midfield and converted their domination into goals by taking a five goal lead at half time.
Coorparoo stormed back into contention late in the third quarter and snatched the lead in the final quarter.
It was all square in the last five minutes before Coorparoo sealed it with a late goal.

FootyQld let's be honest Wynnum should have beaten Coorparoo, but in the 3rd qtr the Vikings seemed to have lost the plot in a crazy 10-15min that allowed Coorparoo back into the game which at the end of the day was very costly for Wynnum.

FootyQld let's be honest Wynnum should have beaten Coorparoo, but in the 3rd qtr the Vikings seemed to have lost the plot in a crazy 10-15min that allowed Coorparoo back into the game which at the end of the day was very costly for Wynnum.

I just happened to be down at Wynnum on the weekend and popped in to watch the game. Not affiliated with either side, but I think Coorparoo deserved the win. Wynnum were too ill disciplined and too reliant on a couple of guns to have deserved it. Coorparoo handled themselves very professionally and thoroughly deserved it. :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back