2013 Le Tour

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been in France this year for Le Tour, riding and following the race. I had the chance to ride up Mont Ventoux, Alpe d'Huez to name a few, and caught about 8 stages, some starts, some in the countryside and then some finishes as well, and was on the Champs-Elysees last night.

Alpe d'Huez had to be a highlight, once up there it was like a party, fantastic atmosphere but every chance you had to be around the race it was a party like atmosphere!

I've been in France this year for Le Tour, riding and following the race. I had the chance to ride up Mont Ventoux, Alpe d'Huez to name a few, and caught about 8 stages, some starts, some in the countryside and then some finishes as well, and was on the Champs-Elysees last night.

Alpe d'Huez had to be a highlight, once up there it was like a party, fantastic atmosphere but every chance you had to be around the race it was a party like atmosphere!

good stuff! it is a wonderful experience. and it seems like you covered a lot more than what i have.

would be great if you could post just several select pics, or maybe a vid like this one.

so much goes on away from the moto cameras of france television.

First night last night without anything re cycling and felt a bit lost TBH. It seems to be a regular thing in the last few years since SBS really amped up their coverage of the race to include every stage. Even though I watch the other two GT's too, mostly it's repeats the day after of the final 30km or so and on-line unless SBS are covering a stage on a weekend.

By the way, great news that SBS have the FTA rights to broadcast the tour for the next decade.

Now, this program was on SBS One on Sunday evening. Didn't watch it then, and have only seen the first 10 mins of it on SBSonDemand. From what I have seen, the oldtime footage is remarkable. Will watch in the next few days before it expires. Here's the link.
http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/33690179649/Tour-de-France-The-Legend-Of-The-Race

They showed it the night before the Tour began as well.. Love how it doesn't pull any punches when discussing the "irregularities" which have gone on over the years. First with riders being bribed by the bike manufacturers, the use of drugs (amphetamines, then steroids, then EPO, then whatever Froome's on).

Any way you care to look at it, Le Tour has had a colourful past. It's still a magnificent advertisement for France, and a magnificent spectacle to watch.

They showed it the night before the Tour began as well.. Love how it doesn't pull any punches when discussing the "irregularities" which have gone on over the years. First with riders being bribed by the bike manufacturers, the use of drugs (amphetamines, then steroids, then EPO, then whatever Froome's on).

Any way you care to look at it, Le Tour has had a colourful past. It's still a magnificent advertisement for France, and a magnificent spectacle to watch.

just watched the whole thing and the whole thing practically documented the irregularities and a cynical view of the race. but then again, the french are a cynical lot anyway and it fit the mood perfectly.

Great production. Was extremely emotive. And I hadn't even realised 2 hours had past by.

it brought back the memories off a book that i found at a flea market about 12 years ago documenting the history of the tour. i couldn't put it down back then. i'll watch this again for sure.

good stuff! it is a wonderful experience. and it seems like you covered a lot more than what i have.

would be great if you could post just several select pics, or maybe a vid like this one.

A few select ones here, Col du Pilon, Alpe d'Huez, Dutch Corner, Cadel Evans at the TT finish, Christopher Froome at the TT presentation.

IMG_5509.jpg IMG_5850.jpg IMG_6131.jpg IMG_6092.jpg P7180030.jpg P7180094.jpg P7180226.jpg

A few select ones here, Col du Pilon, Alpe d'Huez, Dutch Corner, Cadel Evans at the TT finish, Christopher Froome at the TT presentation.

View attachment 25413View attachment 25414View attachment 25415View attachment 25416View attachment 25418View attachment 25419View attachment 25420

great stuff. thanks for that.

noticed the movistar bus in a shot at dutch corner. the caravan trying to make its way through the hordes on the climb to alpe d'huez would've been a sight.

It was interesting, even more so was riding up Alpe d'Huez, with team buses and thousands of others. Descending was the real challenge, they decided the caravan had to come off the mountain the same time everyone else on bikes, walking and cars did, mayhem, and it was raining.

It was interesting, even more so was riding up Alpe d'Huez, with team buses and thousands of others. Descending was the real challenge, they decided the caravan had to come off the mountain the same time everyone else on bikes, walking and cars did, mayhem, and it was raining.

One of the guys from my work just got back from this and he was saying the same thing about getting off the Alpe d'Huez said people were stacking all over the place. He did say that riding up the Alpe the morning of the Tour ascent was awesome with the atmosphere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back