Opinion 2014-15 Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Has society really become that politically correct that Warne deserves all the backlash he's getting about his drinking references? FFS.
They're cricketers, not f***ing rocket scientists. Drink til you piss your pants, boys.

Yes.

Yes they are, and no they aren't.

Yes they are.

Yes.

Yes they are, and no they aren't.

Yes they are.
Pfft. Turn it up. Yes no wait what? :D

lovejoy-think-of-the-children-16nov131.jpg

Loved it at the end of the match last night.

This team seems to be living and breathing the Pagan philosophy of train hard, play hard, and celebrate hard when you've earned it.

Unlike the Mickey Arthur period, when players were expected to abstain from any fun, live like robots and hand up homework like children, resentfully having to re-emphasise what they understood about the game, that they'd obviously already bloody proven or else they wouldn't even BE in the team. It's been a refreshing couple of years without the needless shackles.

And the proof is in the pudding, theyre happy and successful. A group of adults need to be treated as such, and should be allowed to celebrate as such.

Warnie says some strange things but he did nothing wrong last night.

It's part of tradition to celebrate hard after winning the final at any level of sport.

Good on them, well deserved.

They had "Kochie's Angels" on Sunrise this morning s**t-canning it. One sheila had the profession "etiquette expert". Pffft. She looked like she'd been round the block on a few thousand wild rides herself....

This team seems to be living and breathing the Pagan philosophy of train hard, play hard, and celebrate hard when you've earned it.
Yep, read and heard many times that all our players would go out for beers together in the 90s, young and old. North were not only the best team on the field, but the best 'team' off the field too.

Jesus.

Let them have some fun ffs. They've earned it. As long as they don't hurt anyone. Cricket Australia isn't a ******* finishing school.

don't have a problem with it. I'd be a hypocrite if I did. ;)

Looked to me like Warnie had forgotten what he was going to ask, so kept repeating how many beers they were going to drink

They had "Kochie's Angels" on Sunrise this morning s**t-canning it. One sheila had the profession "etiquette expert". Pffft. She looked like she'd been round the block on a few thousand wild rides herself....
Strange that she was sh*t-canning rather than condoning it. I would've thought that the appropriate etiquette in this situation would be to get out on the turps for at least a few days.

I can hear the culture cringe brigade just warming up.

We fielded a team of players representing the country of their birth who simply played the game hard - and very well when it mattered.

Meanwhile I see other countries import players to the point they have almost nothing homegrown, have performance enhancing controversies, racially abuse opponents without repercussion (hi Harbajan), sledge then cry to grandmummy when things go bad (hi England), fake foot injuries to force draws (hi 's**t bloke' Broad), rig games etc.

So no filtered glasses on here. We've done nothing wrong. World Champions 2015, I like it. A lot.

Good post.

We also didn't have a foreign captain who refused to sing the national anthem. How the * did England get themselves into such a ridiculous situation? I suppose they'll have to analyse the data to answer that.

But really, surely Morgan should have played for Ireland? Not that he would have improved them. Overrated.

I like World Champions 2015, too. Nice addition to the other four.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy deserves a bit more credit, since he took over we haven't looked back :

images
Onya Boof :thumbsu:

Warne seemed to downplay Boofs' influence the other week, saying something along the lines of Lehmann continuing the culture that was already happening.

Get stuffed Warne - Lehmann got there and encouraged the guys in the team to be themselves, to play their natural games, and to play damn hard but respect the importance of winning by celebrating strongly too. Something that had been lacking for too long in a mentally fragile, homework-doing group of men being treated like boys, who were second guessing themselves.

Lehmann came in and tore all of that up. All of it.

He was successful at QLD, and it's no coincidence that as soon as he set foot in that Australian dressing room again, success seemed to flow as freely the players' natural instincts.

Warnes' a frustrated metrosexual who never got to put his money where his mouth was as a captain of the Australian team because of his various indiscretions, and now spends his days compensating for this by making comments from the safe cocoon of the commentary box where his cricketing nous can never actually be put through the ringer. And he can sit aloof and smug, knowing better than anyone else for the rest of his days without making mistakes himself.

(I actually do like Warne most of the time. But he undersold Lehmann big time the other day. Big time)

Good post.

We also didn't have a foreign captain who refused to sing the national anthem. How the **** did England get themselves into such a ridiculous situation? I suppose they'll have to analyse the data to answer that.

But really, surely Morgan should have played for Ireland? Not that he would have improved them. Overrated.

I like World Champions 2015, too. Nice addition to the other four.
Morgan is likely a combination of money and opportunity to play against real test nations. I don't think Ireland could've given him the latter.

Morgan is likely a combination of money and opportunity to play against real test nations. I don't think Ireland could've given him the latter.

You're right. Of course he couldn't achieve these things in Ireland but he should suck it up because, guess what, he's Irish. Not ex-Irish.

Warne seemed to downplay Boofs' influence the other week, saying something along the lines of Lehmann continuing the culture that was already happening.

Get stuffed Warne - Lehmann got there and encouraged the guys in the team to be themselves, to play their natural games, and to play damn hard but respect the importance of winning by celebrating strongly too. Something that had been lacking for too long in a mentally fragile, homework-doing group of men being treated like boys, who were second guessing themselves.

Lehmann came in and tore all of that up. All of it.

He was successful at QLD, and it's no coincidence that as soon as he set foot in that Australian dressing room again, success seemed to flow as freely the players' natural instincts.

Warnes' a frustrated metrosexual who never got to put his money where his mouth was as a captain of the Australian team because of his various indiscretions, and now spends his days compensating for this by making comments from the safe cocoon of the commentary box where his cricketing nous can never actually be put through the ringer. And he can sit aloof and smug, knowing better than anyone else for the rest of his days without making mistakes himself.

(I actually do like Warne most of the time. But he undersold Lehmann big time the other day. Big time)

I like Warne most of the time too but maybe he needs to consider he's got so many beefs (as opposed to boofs) with leadership types that the issue might be closer to home.

I've now separately heard him undermine Lehmann, Buchanan and Steve Waugh. He can do better.

Fwiw as far as a vote for boof, the team was becoming a shell of itself under Arthur albeit the list was a little thin too post Buchanan/Nixon.

Yep, read and heard many times that all our players would go out for beers together in the 90s, young and old. North were not only the best team on the field, but the best 'team' off the field too.

Yeh, I often wonder had they not been on the piss the way they were, what more could have been added to the Trophy cabinet....maybe nothing, maybe something, we will never know.

You're right. Of course he couldn't achieve these things in Ireland but he should suck it up because, guess what, he's Irish. Not ex-Irish.
What not many people know is that Eoin is actually a plant. The plan all along was for him to rise up the ranks of English cricket, attain the Captaincy and to run the team into the ground so that the Irish team would actually have a better World Cup.

That be some solid planning and execution if you ask me.

What not many people know is that Eoin is actually a plant. The plan all along was for him to rise up the ranks of English cricket, attain the Captaincy and to run the team into the ground so that the Irish team would actually have a better World Cup.

That be some solid planning and execution if you ask me.

Yeah, worked pretty well. The giveaway was the national anthem, of course.

I like Warne most of the time too but maybe he needs to consider he's got so many beefs (as opposed to boofs) with leadership types that the issue might be closer to home.

I've now separately heard him undermine Lehmann, Buchanan and Steve Waugh. He can do better.

Fwiw as far as a vote for boof, the team was becoming a shell of itself under Arthur albeit the list was a little thin too post Buchanan/Nixon.

Exactly. There's a common person in all of that, Warne needs to look closer to home as you say. He'd have been a destabilising influence on the group if not for his brilliant cricketing ability, and the fact that the other players in the sides he was part of were mature enough to 'let Shane be Shane'. His refusal to buy in to initiatives introduced by Buck highlighted his immaturity, and a few more personalities like him in the side could have spelt disaster. He was the exception, the arrogant w@nker who happened to be a phenomenal legspinner that the team needed.

The side was a shell during, and maybe just after Arthur, that's true. But most of it was mental. The players were all there, they just needed to be unleashed. Boof understands people as much as he understands cricket, and his ability to rise above all situations and allow the guys to confidently be themselves - as cricketers and as people- has been the deciding factor in the resurgence of the team.

Warne did nothing wrong but times have changed havent they.... Back in 83 after Australia won the Americas Cup our P.M at the time said "Any Boss who sacks anyone for taking the day of is a Bum"

It's not a secret that Lehman and Warne don't get on, it's why Warne bowling in the nets to the Aussies pre pre-lim was such big news, he and boof had buried the hatchet long enough to benefit the team with Warne's experience.

On Warne, you'd think HE won the world cup, he's been in every picture I've seen, not sure what he did exactly that he has his hands all over the trophy so often.

Did find it amusing the team went out clubbing in their uniforms last night... Bailey even wore the fluro sub vest.

It's not a secret that Lehman and Warne don't get on, it's why Warne bowling in the nets to the Aussies pre pre-lim was such big news, he and boof had buried the hatchet long enough to benefit the team with Warne's experience.

On Warne, you'd think HE won the world cup, he's been in every picture I've seen, not sure what he did exactly that he has his hands all over the trophy so often.

Did find it amusing the team went out clubbing in their uniforms last night... Bailey even wore the fluro sub vest.
What's the source of the tension between Lehman and Warne?

What's the source of the tension between Lehman and Warne?
Shane has been very vocal in his belief that Lehman is overstepping his role as coach and more of the decisions should be left up to Clarke and co.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back