Autopsy 2014 AFL Grand Final - Sydney v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, did anyone on the planet expect this result, and ten goal plus win to Hawthorn? It took me by surprise, that's for sure. I thought if we played our very best, we might sneak a 2-3 goal win. This was something else altogether....

McVeigh; 5 touches in the first half. Absolutely piss poor leadership when he needed to stand up for his team in the face of a immense adversity.

I've said it before, got howled down for it, but stand by it; he's an over rated sea gull, who has failed on the big stage when his team needed him most.

I'll say it again:
The biggest gap between Geelong's flags was one year.
Geelong, from 2007-2011, never dropped out of the top 4, never missed finals entirely, and only missed one GF.
There was a four-year gap between Hawthorn's first and second flag. They missed finals in 2009, and they were eliminated in the first week in 2010.

It took Hawthorn 7 years to achieve what took Geelong 5 years. They don't have the winning percentage over that 7 years or the individual accolades that Geelong had over their 5.

They do have back-to-back, which draws the comparison more level. However, in terms of team accomplishment in recent times, taking out anything additional:

From 2007-2011: Geelong played in 5 PFs.
From 2008-2014: Hawthorn played in 5 PFs.
From 2007-2011: Geelong won 3 flags.
From 2008-2014: Hawthorn won 3 flags.
From 2007-2011: Geelong played in four grand finals, including three straight.
From 2008-2014: Hawthorn played in four grand finals, including three straight.

Except history will probably ignore 08, and view 13-14 (being the mark of utter domination) as better than 7/9/11 (being a very fruitful era). Geelong at their best were certainly more consistent, but they were never as powerful as we were at our best, indeed we won the only GF contested. But in the end, history will only look at premierships won, and a heavy premium is placed on the ability to back up a flag in the immediate year following, as having a year in between allows a team to breathe and reload.

B2B is not a tiebreaker for the same number of flags.

Be nice if your club actually gave back something to the community that you take so much from.

The fact that Tasmania's economy is struggling is no secret to anyone, and I really don't think the millions of dollars in taxpayers' money the Hawks are being paid every year helps that at all.

And people who try to claim that the Hawks coming over here is a good thing because it generates jobs in the hospitality industry are absolute buffoons.
Tasmanian Government seem very satisfied with the amount of tourism money the deal brings in. So much so that they have been looking to increase the deal.

I'd be happy to see the deal end though. More games at the MCG for us Melbourne based fans.

Be nice if your club actually gave back something to the community that you take so much from.

The fact that Tasmania's economy is struggling is no secret to anyone, and I really don't think the millions of dollars in taxpayers' money the Hawks are being paid every year helps that at all.

And people who try to claim that the Hawks coming over here is a good thing because it generates jobs in the hospitality industry are absolute buffoons.

You could say the same thing about Ford. Sure, it's a private business and all but for all struggles they are going through they manage to send your club millions of $$$
All those job cuts financed the Cats. And when they finally close the joint because even your 3 flags couldnt help them sell more cars, guess who will be buying food for those poor campaigners that will be unemployed? Yeah, that's right

Idiot hawthorn players. Half of them are holding up 3 fingers and the rest are holding up 2.
As has been already stated, think very carefully about that. Let's see if I can give you a hint. Some of these idiot hawthorn players have been in differing numbers of premierships. Do you think that might have some sort of significance to you? No probably not, you're probably just proud of the fact that you were able to count the number of fingers they were showing and thought you'd share the proudest of achievements with us all.

? the hawks have put far more into tasmania than any other AFL club. it's a rare fortnight when a hawks-related story isn't in the paper. they're always doing something.

the audits into the deal do not support your position.

As has been already stated, think very carefully about that. Let's see if I can give you a hint. Some of these idiot hawthorn players have been in differing numbers of premierships. Do you think that might have some sort of significance to you? No probably not, you're probably just proud of the fact that you were able to count the number of fingers they were showing and thought you'd share the proudest of achievements with us all.

It's been covered that i was joking, calm your farm.

I'll say it again:
The biggest gap between Geelong's flags was one year.
Geelong, from 2007-2011, never dropped out of the top 4, never missed finals entirely, and only missed one GF.
There was a four-year gap between Hawthorn's first and second flag. They missed finals in 2009, and they were eliminated in the first week in 2010.

It took Hawthorn 7 years to achieve what took Geelong 5 years. They don't have the winning percentage over that 7 years or the individual accolades that Geelong had over their 5.

They do have back-to-back, which draws the comparison more level. However, in terms of team accomplishment in recent times, taking out anything additional:

From 2007-2011: Geelong played in 5 PFs.
From 2008-2014: Hawthorn played in 5 PFs.
From 2007-2011: Geelong won 3 flags.
From 2008-2014: Hawthorn won 3 flags.
From 2007-2011: Geelong played in four grand finals, including three straight.
From 2008-2014: Hawthorn played in four grand finals, including three straight.
I do believe that the Hawks need to win another or at the very least make the big dance again to be considered better.

That said, does it mean anything that the Hawks have beaten the Cats in 3 out of the 4 finals they have played during this period?

I do believe that the Hawks need to win another or at the very least make the big dance again to be considered better.

That said, does it mean anything that the Hawks have beaten the Cats in 3 out of the 4 finals they have played during this period?

We were their whipping boys during this period...

...during H & A matches!

That is because you didn't read the independent analysis of the deal which made it very clear the financial benefits to Tasmania far far far outweigh the cost of the sponsorship. According to Price Waterhouse Coopers, the deal was worth $58 million a year in 2010 to the Tasmanian economy. Given Hawthorn's profile and membership number has risen since then, I can only assume it is worth even more now.

Why? Do you have some kind of expertise in the area of these types of cost benefit analysis, or are you just a jealous buffoon?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I managed to avoid 7s exorable coverage all day. Listened to the radio, watched fox, watched the game, such as it was, with the TV muted.

Learn from this people, you'll enjoy your footy on tv much more

Same. Been doing this all year. Can't do anything about their shot SD images and rubbish camera angles, but anyone who still listens to their comms - in 2014 - deserves it.

I was responding to an ungracious winner who had the audacity to still moan about COLA when Hawks just won the granny.
It actually doesnt, Hawks practically train for it, as it happens innumerable times, almost every game.
dont get me wrong, you deserved your victory, but if youre still gonna bring up COLA as youve done all year in the spirit of a sullen teenager, take the brown tinted goggles off.
(Responded similarly on our own board)

$orry mate.

Hawks fans win a flag and still whine about COLA - brilliant :p

You slaughtered a team that's obviously in Gillon's pocket by 10 goals - surely you should be celebrating the moment rather than continuing this tired debate?

P.S - we should def look at signing Hodge, an 8 year, $10m deal should fit in with our cap right? :p
Yep. You have rai$ed a good point

You don't seem to properly grasp the meaning of tantrum. I've been perfectly humble in defeat, while Hawks fans are still whining about COLA and responding with "eat a dick"
I might of even congratulated the Hawks on a deserved victory were it not for Hawk fans carrying on with their school-yard "haha suck it COLA, GO HAWKS!" mentality
It's might HAVE not might of. Didn't you go to $chool?

What's strange is you ignoring all the COLA incitement by every Hawks fan and choosing to label the person who is defending his club as the inciter. I merely responded to a Hawks fan carrying on about COLA by telling him to tone it down, only to have a half dozen more Hawk flogs jump down my throat with "suck a dick"
Or is it a Hawks exclusive prerogative to whinge, moan and defame other clubs with impunity?
Whinging i$ very unbecoming

They hawks give plenty back you bellend. Many fly down for their games pumping money into the economy. Not to mention non-hawk fans who check Tassie out due to the exposure the state has got through hawthorn. They run camps for kids. They're taking the cup there this week.

While the money could probably be better spent on the state, to say the hawks don't give anything back is ignorant.

Are you even from Tassie or just being a self-righteous dick? I'm Tasmanian I've had varying levels of personal conflict about this deal over the years, but either way, I would prefer it if you didn't speak on my behalf.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back