Review 2014 AFL Rookie Draft - Wednesday 3 December

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
No time to rest. The rookie draft is only a week away!

Any ideas as to names or types of players we may look at?

Some "names" that missed out at the ND include Daniel Capiron, Peter Bampton, Tyler Keitel, Keenan Ramsay, Oleg Markov, Aiden Anderson, Hugh Beasley, Josh Glenn, Jesse Watchman, Matt Panos, Sean McLaren, Taylor Grace, Nic Newman, Shannon Taylor, Billy Evans, Ryan Lim, Nick Mellington and Joe Maishman, David Mennen and Will Fordham.

We have I believe 2 picks in the RD.

I'd say there is fair chance that Wells has a little known bloke from the back of Bourke hidden away that can leap tall silos in a single bound but who knows?

Thoughts?

Is Isaac Conway still available?
I wanted him last year. Brissy got him and delisted him this year.
Was (I think) Qld u/18 captain.

Panos would be good. Another big body to go thru the middle. Bampton, Glenn, Keitel would all be worthy picks.
I was really hoping Teia Miles would get to us, but no.. he had to go to the arch nemesis..

No time to rest. The rookie draft is only a week away!

Any ideas as to names or types of players we may look at?

Some "names" that missed out at the ND include Daniel Capiron, Peter Bampton, Tyler Keitel, Keenan Ramsay, Oleg Markov, Aiden Anderson, Hugh Beasley, Josh Glenn, Jesse Watchman, Matt Panos, Sean McLaren, Taylor Grace, Nic Newman, Shannon Taylor, Billy Evans, Ryan Lim, Nick Mellington and Joe Maishman, David Mennen and Will Fordham.

We have I believe 2 picks in the RD.

I'd say there is fair chance that Wells has a little known bloke from the back of Bourke hidden away that can leap tall silos in a single bound but who knows?

Thoughts?

few names mentioned in the main draft thread. Like Michael Manteit , Shannon Taylor , Oleg Markov , Nick Mellington....... but do we need to go young or do we look at a 22-24 year old recycles? Or do we add a KPB or continue with mids?

How many rookie spots do we have?
If we only have the 2, I would not be against going for Panos and a KPD.
We only really have Toohey, Kolo (I consider him more a third tall) and Blicavs as cover.
When is the draft order released?

few names mentioned in the main draft thread. Like Michael Manteit , Shannon Taylor , Oleg Markov , Nick Mellington....... but do we need to go young or do we look at a 22-24 year old recycles? Or do we add a KPB or continue with mids?

I think we fixed a couple of holes in regards to age ... so aside from the likes of Panos ... I don't think there is anyone out there that would cater to a particular need (in the 22-24 bracket).

I reckon a KPB prospect and another mid ... I liked the look of Oleg originally so I wouldn't mind seeing him come to the Cattery.

I think we fixed a couple of holes in regards to age ... so aside from the likes of Panos ... I don't think there is anyone out there that would cater to a particular need (in the 22-24 bracket).

I reckon a KPB prospect and another mid ... I liked the look of Oleg originally so I wouldn't mind seeing him come to the Cattery.
must be some around , just depend what you want . Even if it's 20-24 year old. Just had a look at Nic Newman , pretty sweet left foot for Frankston.
I think there must be a heap of guys who have missed out and would die for a chance... hello Ben Cavarra etc.

must be some around , just depend what you want . Even if it's 20-24 year old. Just had a look at Nic Newman , pretty sweet left foot for Frankston.
I think there must be a heap of guys who have missed out and would die for a chance... hello Ben Cavarra etc.

True, true. Due to the draft and much more focused (forum wise) on young players I have not really seen too much else in regards to the older ones that are being considered by recruiters.

Off to look at Nic now!

Wouldn't mind if we got Gribble from Werribee on board...kid's been averaging 25+ touches in the VFL this year as a 19 year old. Even in our VFL team for the Bankers in 2013 he played a few games as the 23rd player...one game had 35 touches, ball just finds him. Would thrive given the chance I reckon, just has the classic "can't kick" story. I'd give him a shot, still young, can fix field kicking issues (see Michael Barlow).

Geelong put out a tweet a week or so ago about a youngster called Josh Guthrie joining in training with the VFL side - any chance he is someone we might be looking at to rookie list or is he being considered as a potential VFL listed player?

Geelong put out a tweet a week or so ago about a youngster called Josh Guthrie joining in training with the VFL side - any chance he is someone we might be looking at to rookie list or is he being considered as a potential VFL listed player?
It's Cam Guthrie's brother.
Didn't we do the same with Troy Menzel and Brodie Murdoch and have them train with us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't we do the same with Troy Menzel and Brodie Murdoch and have them train with us?

No they may have trained with us if they were in the AIS academy as they send those kids to clubs for a week (as Cockatoo did at North) but they wouldnt have trained with us after the draft like this.

They may be looking at Cam's brother for the vfl side.

I know it's Cam's brother - just wondering if they are seriously looking at him for either the AFL or VFL side or just letting him have a run around; they also have another younger brother but not sure how either of them rate compared with Cam or how serious they are with taking footy beyond TAC or school level.

I know Troy at least visited KP prior to the draft and all the talk is he was highly rated and really wanted; no idea about Brodie or how the club rated him.

Glenn is the best player who didnt get picked and I wouldnt mind him but we really need a key defender.

Someone like Keitel would be a decent pick

No they may have trained with us if they were in the AIS academy as they send those kids to clubs for a week (as Cockatoo did at North) but they wouldnt have trained with us after the draft like this.

They may be looking at Cam's brother for the vfl side.

Josh was training with the VFL side a couple of weeks back, prior to the draft which I found curious - I wasn't sure if that sort of thing would be allowed for someone who potentially had their name in the draft pool or maybe he isn't looking being an AFL player which is why we could have him train with us.

Glenn is the best player who didnt get picked and I wouldnt mind him but we really need a key defender.

Someone like Keitel would be a decent pick

Yes, Keitel or McLaren as one of the picks. A runner with the other - love to take a punt on S.Taylor but don't think he is Wells' type. Perhaps Mennen? Underaged so hopefully scope for improvement. Classy looking type.

I like Mellington and Bampton but I also doubt they will look for another inside type mid.

I did like Nick Mellington who touched up Brayshaw late in the season and Matt Panos the mature big body mid. Bampton or Keitel for a tall development player.
Probably Mellington and Keitel but either of the others, Panos mature and ready is a small key in height so can be swung.
Mellington came back after injury with huge possession numbers late in the TAC, like him a lot.
And Peter Bampton's classy and advanced for a rookie, brilliant at SANFL level like Gore.

Last edited:
lol. What is this fascination with big bodied mids?
We don't need any.

True, true. Due to the draft and much more focused (forum wise) on young players I have not really seen too much else in regards to the older ones that are being considered by recruiters.

Off to look at Nic now!
Newman will be a top selection for the Cats, just in that perfect age bracket, good height and size and plays decent footy off the HBF. He would be my pick as a mature recruit. Hands down.

Would love to give Shannon Taylor a shot on the rookie list. Excitment machine playing at Frankston VFL this year. Was in the AFL AIS squad in 2011 and performed well for WA. Moved acorss the country with 3 young kids of his own to chase the dream. I like to take risks in regards to rookies. Huge ceiling not much to loose.
On the other hand you can play it safe and get a back up player like a Sheringham type etc who could play 8-10 games a year and just contribute if that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back