Mega Thread 2014 Drafts complete

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I reckon we use picks 2 and 3 on best available(most likely Brayshaw and McCartin) and picks 40 and 53 based on our needs. I feel a tall defender and an outside running player would be great options.
We've got plenty of tall defenders, we need ruckmen and runners with good foot skills.

We've got plenty of tall defenders, we need ruckmen and runners with good foot skills.
Yep, we have to face this issue at some point.

Whilst a pick53 (kid) is ok for the long term we definitely need to bring in a maturer ruckman as well in the near future or we're in a bit of trouble.

Again the draft experts are saying there are next to no worthy ruckmen in the ND.

Except Wright. Which is probably why Mahoney mentioned him as one of the 4 we have our eyes on for picks 2 & 3.

I still have faith in Gawn. Would prefer running half backs who can kick well with 40 and 53.

Except Wright. Which is probably why Mahoney mentioned him as one of the 4 we have our eyes on for picks 2 & 3.

I still have faith in Gawn. Would prefer running half backs who can kick well with 40 and 53.

So does everyone but we need ruck depth.

This year's draft is very thin on ruckmen. I've got faith in Gawn as long as he stays fit - and that's a big if unfortunately. I don't rate Spencer at all, and Jamar has one year left at this stage.

So, I reckon we have to at least grab the best mature age state league ruckman as a rookie, not sure who that might be though

So does everyone but we need ruck depth.

If (and I know that ifs aren't worth anything) Gawn and Jamar stay healthy we'll be fine this year. I think we have the depth for the time being (Spencer adequate but nothing note worthy and King is way to early to know anything, IMO Fitz should just be a depth KPF). Then we can just use Sydney's and Hawks' trick; cherry pick rucks as we move up the ladder.

There is no point drafting a ruckman unless we think a freak like Gawn is going to come through

The kid wont be ready for a few years and by that stage Gawn will either be ready or Gawn
We should just wait till next year and target a delisted or traded one

Either way the Spencil will probably pay a couple games next year

Again the draft experts are saying there are next to no worthy ruckmen in the ND.

Yeah, looking at Snoop's phantom, after Wright the next ruck he has going is @ pick46. Crash and bang type though who could be worth a look at 40.

Still doesn't solve our short term problem though. Not sure who's available in the PSD so a mature rookie as suggested by The Dr could be the go.

Otherwise we wait until next year.

Yeah, looking at Snoop's phantom, after Wright the next ruck he has going is @ pick46. Crash and bang type though who could be worth a look at 40.

Still doesn't solve our short term problem though. Not sure who's available in the PSD so a mature rookie as suggested by The Dr could be the go.

Otherwise we wait until next year.

There is probably some kid floating around the states who kid fill in when needed but Spencil can do that as well

Besides we have that Mitch Clark fella playing aga..... Oh wait

Just looking at rucks on afl.com.au, in their draft machine thiny. Ruckman called Marc Pittonet looks good (only from a 3min highlight vid). Knightmare's phantom draft has him at pick 71. Maybe a rookie spot.

I hate the rookie list, seems pointless; but if it's gunna be there I would prefer to keep KPP/Rucks or 2nd chance players from us or others. Having both King and another (e.g. Pittonet) developing for 2 to 3 years would be ideal. Worked with Jamar didn't with Spencer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing short of bionic arms would work with Spencer.

Personally I think Spencer's size is good.

His failings as a footballer have somthing to do with this:

scarecrow-nodding.gif

Given young rucks can take 5 years or more to come on, we are going to need to take a mature ruck from one of the state leagues, or as youngbear suggests, poaching one from another club.

Jamar has 2 years (at the most) left in him - and then we are in trouble.

I think a good side should have 2 ruckmen who can each play in the forward pocket as well.

Re the ruck situation - I wonder how much ruck work Fitz does when he plays at Casey? Any VFL watchers out there able to tell us if he's got any future as a ruckman?

We still need ruck depth but I will once again go on the record and say I think Spencer will come good.

Don't ask me to justify it. It's a feeling I have.

*If I actually have to justify it I'd say it's something to do with the fact he has a pretty good tank, is big-bodied, and can be taught to handball at all costs. Plus he actually has decent hands.

Re the ruck situation - I wonder how much ruck work Fitz does when he plays at Casey? Any VFL watchers out there able to tell us if he's got any future as a ruckman?
Rucks every game IIRC. Quick check of stats says that he averaged 23 HOs a game for Casey in 2014.

We still need ruck depth but I will once again go on the record and say I think Spencer will come good.

*If I actually have to justify it I'd say it's something to do with the fact he has a pretty good tank, is big-bodied, and can be taught to handball at all costs. Plus he actually has decent hands.

I think Spencer will make a good back up ruckman, but I think his weakness will be that he doesn't take marks or kick goals when he goes forward.

Gawn is good for a marking target and a goal when he goes forward, and to a lesser extent, so is Jamar.

I also think Spencer will become a solid ruck although I disagree about him having decent hands. He's never looked like a great mark when I've seen him. His work rate and fitness are his standout attributes.

Rucks every game IIRC. Quick check of stats says that he averaged 23 HOs a game for Casey in 2014.

Cheers. I wonder whether, if needed, he could play the majority of a game at AFL level as a ruck, resting forward, rather than as a forward who chips in with a bit of ruck work? He's certainly mobile enough.

Cheers. I wonder whether, if needed, he could play the majority of a game at AFL level as a ruck, resting forward, rather than as a forward who chips in with a bit of ruck work? He's certainly mobile enough.
Doubt he has the stamina to play on ball.

I also think Spencer will become a solid ruck although I disagree about him having decent hands. He's never looked like a great mark when I've seen him. His work rate and fitness are his standout attributes.
He's a huge liability around the ground. No matter how good of a ruckman he becomes he's always going to look glaringly bad at everything else until he at least fixes his kicking and marking (which I agree with you on).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back