Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
I watched all his games available on YouTube and didnt see it at all. There wasn't a single kick that made me think this guys is a great user. I saw Sparrow 2.0 , which is fine in a vacuum, just think we have enough of that kind of player.

We'll see how it pans out I guess, but a lot of those write ups I've seen mention his creativity and effectiveness going inside 50, so I'm hoping that's the case.

I watched all his games available on YouTube and didnt see it at all. There wasn't a single kick that made me think this guy is a great user. I saw Sparrow 2.0 , which is fine in a vacuum, just think we have enough of that kind of player.
Won't matter if he is good at kicking inside 50 if our midfield moron brigade kick it over the half forwards heads all season again.

I like JT and I'm sure it's a directive from the coach, but the must be a competitor stuff is getting tiresome

Typical Melbourne nonsense. Competitors over quality disposal. And we wonder why our connection sucks year after year.
Considering JT said in a recent interview on a podcast after the draft that Curtin was an absolute strong consideration for their first pick on the night would suggest that information would be the complete opposite.. especially from the same person with a known track record of being wrong all the time on here.

JT further explained that because the last few years their draft targets were needs basis in terms of taking talls in Jefferson, JVR and Adams, this year's focus was purely best available. He also stated that had Windsor been taken earlier in the draft then Curtin would have been a strong consideration.

The lack of competitiveness talk is absolute fluff. Any kid that starts playing WAFL senior footy at 17 years of age and make a genuine impact against men is a sign that the kid has a genuine competitive nature to compete against men at such an early age. It's why Tholstrup played WAFL seniors all year.

Put it this way, we were happy to select Matthew Jefferson last year from Coastes League/school footy level who imo is one of the least competitive footballer we've recruited in a while (absolutely not knocking the kid, that's just his nature) but yet we got cold feet from Curtin due to his apparent lack of competitiveness? 🤣

I'll take JT's word and put it down to that the recruiters genuinely thought that Windsor was the best available talent ahead of Curtin.

I think Curtin will do well at Adelaide. My only concern would be the apparent pull back to WA.

I like having the majority of the team as competitors, thats fine. But there needs to be a place for the non competitive classy players who's job isn't to worry about pressure and tackling, they are there to cheat and run forward of the play and finish. You need that mix.
Yep give me Jack Watts or Travis Johnstone in this team over half of our players anyday.

I watched all his games available on YouTube and didnt see it at all. There wasn't a single kick that made me think this guy is a great user. I saw Sparrow 2.0 , which is fine in a vacuum, just think we have enough of that kind of player.
I like hearing your thoughts on the draft videos A11 and this surprises me a bit.

I watch them and think that he’s very neat and a good decision maker.

Maybe not a piercing long kick but with intercept defenders these days you’re better off having a half forward who can dink it into the forward 50 accurately - which is what I see in his vids.

I have no concerns with Tholstrups kicking from what I’ve seen.

I like hearing your thoughts on the draft videos A11 and this surprises me a bit.

I watch them and think that he’s very neat and a good decision maker.

Maybe not a piercing long kick but with intercept defenders these days you’re better off having a half forward who can dink it into the forward 50 accurately - which is what I see in his vids.

I have no concerns with Tholstrups kicking from what I’ve seen.
Show me a game where he makes genuinely good kicks. 15m dinks to wide open teammates dont count. Anyone can make them. There is 3-5x more bad kicks than there are good kicks on what ive seen. Happy to be proven wrong, maybe ive missed a game or two?

Show me a game where he makes genuinely good kicks. 15m dinks to wide open teammates dont count. Anyone can make them. There is 3-5x more bad kicks than there are good kicks on what ive seen. Happy to be proven wrong, maybe ive missed a game or two?
Nah I’ve not seen many of those ‘damaging’ 55m spear passes but I think my point is that they rarely exist in the AFL forward 50 these days.

He can kick a goal from 55 though and I have no problem with a player who finds his teammate in space when inside 50.

I’m really interested to see more of him in the preseason and early season now and get a better understanding of his kicking. From what I’ve seen so far it looks good. 🤷‍♂️

Nah I’ve not seen many of those ‘damaging’ 55m spear passes but I think my point is that they rarely exist in the AFL forward 50 these days.

He can kick a goal from 55 though and I have no problem with a player who finds his teammate in space when inside 50.

I’m really interested to see more of him in the preseason and early season now and get a better understanding of his kicking. From what I’ve seen so far it looks good. 🤷‍♂️
Hint: you wont find any 30m spear passes either. I just had a look back over some matches again and couldn't even find him hitting a teammate on the lead with a lollypop kick going inside 50. The kicks he did hit inside 50 were to stationary targets 15m's away standing there by themselves, no skill in that. That is the absolute basics expected at under 15's. Couple of decent kicks further up the ground over 25m but the bad ones far outweigh the good ones. Stand 100% by my assessment on what is available.

Hint: you wont find any 30m spear passes either. I just had a look back over some matches again and couldn't even find him hitting a teammate on the lead with a lollypop kick going inside 50. The kicks he did hit inside 50 were to stationary targets 15m's away standing there by themselves, no skill in that. That is the absolute basics expected at under 15's. Couple of decent kicks further up the ground over 25m but the bad ones far outweigh the good ones. Stand 100% by my assessment on what is available.
Fair enough I’ll have another look and keep an interested eye into the new season.

Yeah tholstrup looks like a kid who could make it off sheer confidence and work rate but nothing on his highlights show a skillful player.
There is no doubt that Taylor (and team) liked him for his work rate and effort coming all the way from Esperance.

You’d like to think a kid at pick 14 or whatever was chosen on talent - but I guess it was obvious we were keen to get higher in the order if possible.

Still not convinced that his foot skills don’t look decent - we will find out more soon enough!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no doubt that Taylor (and team) liked him for his work rate and effort coming all the way from Esperance.

You’d like to think a kid at pick 14 or whatever was chosen on talent - but I guess it was obvious we were keen to get higher in the order if possible.

Still not convinced that his foot skills don’t look decent - we will find out more soon enough!
I'm not saying he doesn't have talent, he is a great mark for his size and if he's confident there's goals for him at AFL level but I'm not seeing a kid who is gonna be an elite kick in the afl. He just looks solid. Sparrow with forward craft makes sense to me, looks like he's a dangerous prospect 1-1 but I don't see good kicking.

Comparing players is so hard but he looks like he falls into a range between like a Josh Caddy and Paul Chapman type. Don't think his best footy is ever in the middle it'll be mismatching blokes inside 50

Im not saying he sucks as a player, im just saying field kicking just isn't very good. His goal kicking is much better than his field kicking so its not all bad. His strengths are more pressure & competitiveness (so Melbourne), second efforts, winning a contested ball. I like the Josh Caddy comparison. Think thats about his ceiling.

Im not saying he sucks as a player, im just saying field kicking just isn't very good. His goal kicking is much better than his field kicking so its not all bad. His strengths are more pressure & competitiveness (so Melbourne), second efforts, winning a contested ball. I like the Josh Caddy comparison. Think thats about his ceiling.
Yeah like he's not a Trac, like when you see his draft highlights you see explosive athleticism and freakish ability. Tholstrup I see a meat and potatoes kid, but with his work ethic he could be a very very good player just purely by doing everything he does well at a high level.

I like having the majority of the team as competitors, thats fine. But there needs to be a place for the non competitive classy players who's job isn't to worry about pressure and tackling, they are there to cheat and run forward of the play and finish. You need that mix.
Fritsch, Billings, and to a lesser extent Hunter?

Fritsch, Billings, and to a lesser extent Hunter?
Fritch plays full forward basically so doest count. Hunter is good but hes not a guy who will hurt the opposition with a long goal or pass over 50m, hopefully Billings can be that type of player for us, but his goal kicking accuracy over the course of his career says otherwise. (108 goals 123 behinds)

Fritsch shouldn't leave the forward half, who cares if we are out numbered defensively when there's 35 blokes at one end. On that note to have players that cheat forward we need to have a game plan to suit. Apparently they are training it but will Goodwin have to guts to implement it game day.

On that note to have players that cheat forward we need to have a game plan to suit. Apparently they are training it but will Goodwin have to guts to implement it game day.
Rivers is the player id like to see us use in such a role thru the midfield.

Rivers is the player id like to see us use in such a role thru the midfield.
Felt they tried it a bit in the pre-season last year before reverting to the standard stuff. Would definitely be good to see more rivers dash through the middle and he certainly can kick a fair distance. Just give him a licence to have a crack when in range.

Of course old mate wall posters is triggered by saying a bloke may or may not make it. Pathetic 😂

Nah champ, just love it that you've been so Melbourned that you still write off 18 year olds before they've even played a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back