Competitions 2014 Geelong Board National Draft prediction competition CLOSED

Remove this Banner Ad

So Motlop on Twitter followed Ca2? No sure what the gist is here "Mr Berlin" . (Probably a bit thick sorry)

EDIT: Im not on Twitter so a bit dumb on it. Always struggle to know who is saying what with Hash and what ever all over the place. Anyway Motlop "following" Ca2 on Twitter..Yes?

On Twitter, you generally follow people, heading their news. Team mates follow each other. It's interesting that he just picked this time to follow him.

Going to have to take McKenzie out of pick 47 in this comp :(

10. Nakia Cockatoo
47. Keenan Ramsey
55. Jack Lonie
60. Caleb Daniel

SJ: 1/4

Last edited by a moderator:
10. Nakia Cockatoo (will also take the #5 jumper) (+0)
47. Dean Gore (+8)
55. Keenan Ramsey (+84 - not selected)
60. Daniel Butler (+7)

(+99 total)

Final Edit.

SJ: 1/4 (+1*)

My picks for the chocolates:

10 - Cockatoo (+0)

47 - Gore (+8)

55 - McLean T (+29)

59 - McGuinness (+21)

(+58 total)

Rookies for the powerball:

O'Brien
Daniel

SJ: 1/4 (+1*)
Both of the above posters had Cockatoo at 10 and Gore at 47.

Chappycats wins on count back.

Impressed that anyone picked Cocky really - as our first rounder.

Does it shed any light on why we traded two picks to get pick 10 ?

I originally thought we would go a KPD with our first pick JD but after seeing CA2, to me he looked like the kid with the biggest upside, big risk also, but take the risk and it turns out, then we might have the best kid in this years draft. Go conservative and we might end up with a good player but when you haven't had many top 10 picks recently I think you gotta take that risk.

I originally thought we would go a KPD with our first pick JD but after seeing CA2, to me he looked like the kid with the biggest upside, big risk also, but take the risk and it turns out, then we might have the best kid in this years draft. Go conservative and we might end up with a good player but when you haven't had many top 10 picks recently I think you gotta take that risk.

When I heard we were getting Clark and then we got Stanley and Lucy - and then Lonergan signed a new deal I thought we would go for a midfielder in the draft. But I really did not consider CA2. I was the most unsure about who I would like (after reading all the stuff out there on the draft and looking at phantom drafts).

From what I have read on CA2 - the more his selection has grown on me.

Geelong can win a flag in the next 2 seasons (read 2016) if we can get a gun midfield and a good fit first ruckman..

The backline for the concerns its too old - has held up well. It has Bews and Thurlow having a sneak peak at Enrights position and probably Kolo looking at Mackie or Rivers possie. So except for Lonergan we look ok for replacements for our aging stars.

The forward line could be very strong if we add a true CHF who can make a decent contest, draw defenders away from Hawkins and also kick a couple of goals. Then we add one more smaller forward - like Hartman, Lang and McCarthy - it could be the big improver of the side we had last season.

We just need to break even (or close to it) with the better teams in the midfield and ruck. Hawks went back to back with Hale as their ruckman. he is a good contester and kicks a few goals but he is no Dean Cox or Sandilands. We have done well really in the H&A games for the last 3 seasons with a pretty poor ruck and midfield set up (by our standards since 2007). In the finals it however it showed that we did not have a decent enough ruck and midfield. Plus we did quite well without a true CHF.

In reality we probably only need one gun midfielder to add to SJ and Selwood - then add back in Caddy and GHS - and that would be good enough on most days for us to get enough ball and clearances to win some finals games. Assuming we also add a decent CHF. That is why in the end I thought GFC would go for a mid - in case we are not able to lure a gun mid.

I think people sometimes under estimate the structure that comes with having a decent big CHF - who takes marks and can kick a goal or two. We missed that all last season really.

Its all about time in in the forward line. You need to get the ball more often - get more clearances - and that will reduce the time the ball is in our backline - so we get less scored against - and with that extra time in the forward line we score more. But the midfield have to get in there more often - that is the key really. Even if we break even with say Port or Hawks or Sydney's midfield (these 3 have to be favourites to win the 2015 flag in my book) - with a stronger forward line (read a real CHF and one small, fast tackling machine that can kick a goal) I think we will be a better team than last season.

The only problem is that so will Port and few other teams be a better unit this season as well. So we really have to get that ruck and midfield humming to the best of its ability and we will be ok this next season. next year - we recruit a gun mid - and with the extra experience of another season and pre-season - we could surprise in 2016.

2017 I fear that GC will be on the march. May not win that year but they will be a threat of pushing the best teams in finals. This year they will be stronger than last, and may make the 8 (in fact with Eade now as coach I'd put money on it) - but I do not see them stopping the likes of Hawthorn, Port or Sydney come a Prelim final in 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back