News 2014 Geelong guernseys and apparel - new 'premiership guernsey' to be worn in Round 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Article about this weeks 'Indigenous guernsey':
HE’S a little biased, but Mathew Stokes believes Geelong has produced the AFL’s finest indigenous strip.
The Cats will unveil a new Aboriginal-themed guernsey — designed by local teenager BJ O’Toole — in Thursday night’s clash against Sydney.

“It’s our first jumper,” Stokes said.

“It’s an extremely proud moment for the boys at the club. The club’s come a long way since I first got here eight years ago.

“The amount of work that goes into the Aboriginal programs that we run just makes us feel welcome and it’s a very proud moment to be honest.

“It’s going to be great to run out in that jumper.”

The players were presented with a handful of designs but the decision was unanimous.

“We had a few designs that we look at as a playing group and every single person in the room wanted that one,” Stokes said.

“The story with it is significant too. It’s about all the Aboriginal players from communities across Australia coming to Geelong and visiting the people here and one day going away and coming back home.

“BJ’s a talented young kid and I’ve known him for a long time. I remember him playing basketball in the local team about six years ago and to see the development from there to here is amazing.

“The jumper looks fantastic. I’m a bit biased but I think our jumper is the best in the AFL.”

Still don't like it, but glad to hear Stokes talking about it and talking about the story behind the design. Should have done it at the time of release. Also club should have interviews with each of the boys I think, one a day on the website (if the guys want to do it).

Port's is great! Why didn't we just do a similar thing with our blue stripes?
IndigGuernsey620_620X370.jpg

My favourite is the guy calling out all the "HATTERS"...:rolleyes:

Dunno but when Geelong posted theirs on their facebook site and i called a spade a spade and said it looked like garbage i got chewed out by everyone because apparently a talented young artist did ours.

Apparently no one else sees bad taste.
In the article, Stokesy says that ours tells a story- I guess that's more important to the indigenous players and supporters than what the pattern actually looks like. As long as they're happy with it, I'm happy. I don't have to buy one and I think we only get to see it this week.
It could be worse- we could look like the Swans, I guess, who will be running around dressed in curtain material ;)

Port's is great! Why didn't we just do a similar thing with our blue stripes?
Might have been restrictions to make sure the colours didn't clash- ie we couldn't be predominantly white if the Swans were. Yeah, I know Port is also away but they are playing Melbourne so they may have been told to use lots of white because of Melbourne's darker colours.

It looks dreadful. Then you see Ports, and think "Why didn't we do something similar that would look classy and not like a gigantic Aboriginal clusterf**k".

Careful. Its not on to do this avoid the swear filter

And what you are saying is not factual its opinion, a bad geelong jumper will always better than another in my eyes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the article, Stokesy says that ours tells a story- I guess that's more important to the indigenous players and supporters than what the pattern actually looks like. As long as they're happy with it, I'm happy. I don't have to buy one and I think we only get to see it this week.
It could be worse- we could look like the Swans, I guess, who will be running around dressed in curtain material ;)

We also wear it in Round 16 when we play the Bulldogs in Geelong - so 2 chances to get used to it

I never said it was fact. Its my opinion. And in my opinion it looks ******* dreadful. And the only counter argument i hear is i should like it because i should like it.
Nobody can tell you what to like, obviously. I would prefer the normal jumpers but the players chose their favourite design and the indigenous boys are happy. As long as we win, I don't care WHAT they wear. Some of the posters here would be happy if they won, playing in the nude, wouldn't they SquishyKitty karencatsfan catgal23 ??

Nobody can tell you what to like, obviously. I would prefer the normal jumpers but the players chose their favourite design and the indigenous boys are happy. As long as we win, I don't care WHAT they wear. Some of the posters here would be happy if they won, playing in the nude, wouldn't they SquishyKitty karencatsfan catgal23 ??
Think I could handle that ;).

Last edited:
I never said it was fact. Its my opinion. And in my opinion it looks ******* dreadful. And the only counter argument i hear is i should like it because i should like it.

Ok it opinion an thats fine. Express that opinion in a reasonable way. You don't have to like it. I don't like wearing white shorts for home games. I don't like the vast majority of the alt strips that we have played in , this is not worse than most of them. At least at this stage. I have learned that these thing look different in a photo than on the ground...I will see how they come up on TV. I doubt it will be as clear as the usual Cats V Swans game.

Should we have a strip dedicated to one element of the community over another ...this is just another example of PC. Its like the monday night show when Matty Lloyd brought up the female head at Richmond , he was a sexist because he dared question if she was contributing. Modern society. Different argument/discussion

Would have been much better if at the time of releasing the jumper, the club also released the background information and the meaning to the jumper. While it's not my favourite jumper I have seen the club released, reading about the significance behind it and what it means to our Indigenous players, I can appreciate what it represents without actually having to love it. Also good to read about why we are wearing it again in Rnd 16:

To make sure the perfect guernsey was chosen for Indigenous Round, O’Toole spent many hours creating different artworks and liaising with Geelong’s merchandise team and Aboriginal playing group, before presenting the final 3 designs to the whole team to vote on.

The winning design wasn’t chosen for its aesthetics but its symbolic meaning, as each drawing reflects and represents an important message.

The five circular symbols represent the Kulin Nations and the communities. The curves and the spots represent meeting places and communities coming together. And the boomerangs illustrate the players who leave their community to play for Geelong and then return to their communities.

When the Cats pull on the Indigenous guernsey for a second time it will be in support of Close the Gap, a community program initiated by the Geelong Cats to help raise awareness of the alarming health gap between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Australians.
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2014-05-26/cats-indigenous-guernsey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back