No Oppo Supporters 2014 General AFL Discussion Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a question that I am sure will bring in a lot of debate. Assuming we win this week then top 2 is assured. With that in mind going into the game against Richmond do we rest players? I am not talking about resting half the team like Ross Lyon did a few years ago. I am talking about resting any player with a niggling injury or any player that really could use the extra break. If the Richmond game is not a must win could we be strategic with our selections with the next week in mind?

Here is a question that I am sure will bring in a lot of debate. Assuming we win this week then top 2 is assured. With that in mind going into the game against Richmond do we rest players? I am not talking about resting half the team like Ross Lyon did a few years ago. I am talking about resting any player with a niggling injury or any player that really could use the extra break. If the Richmond game is not a must win could we be strategic with our selections with the next week in mind?[/QUO
If Hawks beat Cats , would we choose out of Freo/Cats and rest players V Tigers to finish top or 2nd

It could be dangerous, like Richmond winning by 10 goals. Then we go into a finals series on edge. The way the side went into the 2012 finals series was just so perfect and suprised everyone.

It could be but from memory it worked for Fremantle (I think). I think resting players who either have niggling injuries or players who really need the rest would be smart. Not half the team or anything but maybe 5 or 6 players.

If Hawks beat Cats , would we choose out of Freo/Cats and rest players V Tigers to finish top or 2nd

To be honest I thought of that as well as in the last round we could decide who we would rather play in the finals. I quickly dismissed this idea though as while I could potentially see Longmire resting players I can't see him going out there with the desire to lose the Richmond game.

Here is a question that I am sure will bring in a lot of debate. Assuming we win this week then top 2 is assured. With that in mind going into the game against Richmond do we rest players? I am not talking about resting half the team like Ross Lyon did a few years ago. I am talking about resting any player with a niggling injury or any player that really could use the extra break. If the Richmond game is not a must win could we be strategic with our selections with the next week in mind?

I'm with you. The problem is we are still trying to play some guys back into form. Important guys like Hannas, McGlynn, JPK, Shaw, and Tippo are still either rusty after injury, or will be seriously lacking game time for the finals.

I'd happily see Buddy, Teddy, Kizza and possibly Goodes amongst others get a breather though.

Perhaps we would be better off given them a break against the Doggies..no travel etc etc and have the whole team back for the Richmond game to build momentum for the first final?

Lets just beat the doggies first all this talk and I mean no disrespect to anyone in particular, is starting to sound a little arrogant.. The Doggies and the Tiges players will be playing for their future, the Tiges looking for a final I don't want us to take either game lightly it sets a bad precedent, building form is the key we are going for the big one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Common sense says if a player has a serious niggle give him a break but all these calls are getting ridiculous, nearly every player would be carrying a niggle this time of the year.

I am an advocate of resting players to an extent. But losing focus and confidence is always a factor. Resting plug in and go players like a Kennedy or KJ is smart.

Doing a Freo last year isnt IMO

Stuff resting them. I just want to keep players out of harm's way and avoid any more JPK-style scares.

I think play full strength side. Richmond will be well up for it and give us the perfect hit out before finals. We haven't had our best 22 play together for a while and won't this week either so it's the perfect chance to play our best team, on the same ground we'll play on the following week.

I think play full strength side. Richmond will be well up for it and give us the perfect hit out before finals. We haven't had our best 22 play together for a while and won't this week either so it's the perfect chance to play our best team, on the same ground we'll play on the following week.

^^^I think this will be exactly what will happen. Too many players need a run

Lets just beat the doggies first all this talk and I mean no disrespect to anyone in particular, is starting to sound a little arrogant.. The Doggies and the Tiges players will be playing for their future, the Tiges looking for a final I don't want us to take either game lightly it sets a bad precedent, building form is the key we are going for the big one.
exactly, I mean dare I say it? Starts with a D..

I probably worded that one wrong but you cant rest everyone and you shouldn't mess with form we have a lot of improvement to work on as a team if we are gonna win another flag.

I am not really a fan of resting either, but there is lots of benefit in giving players a break. More than resting I don't want to see critical players getting injured playing games that don't really mean anything to us.
As you say, the query will be how they come up form wise. Do we sacrifice form for freshness?
We all are pretty confident that if the team puts it all together then we can beat any other team, the trick is going to be how do we get them right to produce those performances. If it is resting then I am all for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back