Injury 2014 general injury updates - for specific injuries, refer to specific injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Cowan unfortunately has to be cut if that's the case. You can't keep persisting with a guy who can not manage a handful of games each season.

I reckon Schroder is gone too.

Cowan definitely.

Not sure Schroder yet, he was close to senior footy before he got injured. But if he's fit in a couple of weeks and Stringer is playing in seniors and he's not he's in trouble, as I think only one of them will stay on the list for next year.

The generosity of the club is probably proportional to how the club reads our transitional progress. If on track and we are still in the band width of competitiveness then I can see the club being more benevolent , but as our side degrades , our competitive edge dulls Id expect , and im sure the majority of us expect to be more proactive and a little bit harder.

IF Cowan can not get back to the stage of pushing for senior games this year , he should be a casualty of the need for new talent.

Thoughts on Dan Menzel?

Sad but (probably) true.

Except if they're Dan Menzel ;-)

I think In all seriousness Menzel has at least demonstrated an ability to play at an elite level. Whether he can get back to that level is arguable but I think having come this far with his latest round of surgery he deserves one further opportunity to resurrect his career.

Except if they're Dan Menzel ;-)

I think In all seriousness Menzel has at least demonstrated an ability to play at an elite level. Whether he can get back to that level is arguable but I think having come this far with his latest round of surgery he deserves one further opportunity to resurrect his career.
Just playing Devil's Advocate mate.

You know me well enough.

Menzel they'll probably work something out for next year. Maybe a rookie spot. Bottom line is the club can't keep guys on the list who never play and have wrecked knees.

He will stay on the main list. The fact that the club has made the decision that he will not play this year seems to confirm that, to me at least. If he does another ACL after a full pre-season and a long rehab, then I think that the club may speak to him about pursuing another career.

Yeah after so much investment in time and money and position on our senior list - he will get one more season to see what he can do. But it will be his last year if he cannot show something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that Chris Scott took the opportunity to give his reasons for Smedts being included in the AFL team after only 1 VFL game. I hope Christensen isn't rushed back but it seems that he will be treated more cautiously.

Caddy back, Christensen and Kersten coming good, Motlop better for the run in a few games, Jansen and Lang cutting it up in the VFL, Varcoe moving smoothly, Hawkins well and truly free of any back issues... all augurs well for a solid second half of the season.

It does. Doesn't mean we're going to start smacking Port or anything, but it should make our midfield depth that much greater. Can't underestimate the addition of two players around 50 games' experience to the rotations.

Josh Cowan is actually included on this week's injury list!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/injury-news/injury-list

Really looking forward to the return of #18. Can only imagine how much he must be hoping to get back out there.

And then how much it will mean if he can play more than 'one in a row'.

All the best, Josh.:thumbsu:

Really looking forward to the return of #18. Can only imagine how much he must be hoping to get back out there.

1-2 weeks for Cowan? I suspect there might be a tiny amount of optimism in that.

1-2 weeks for Cowan? I suspect there might be a tiny amount of optimism in that.

Don't disagree at all. But any kind of resumption for Josh requires more than a little optimism.

I do wonder why they would bother to record anything about the boy if they didn't have a fair degree of confidence that there's an imminent return on the cards.

Goodness knows they've seemingly been happy to pretend that he didn't exist for months on end before now. Why the change unless he's really close to playing?

Interesting that Chris Scott took the opportunity to give his reasons for Smedts being included in the AFL team after only 1 VFL game. I hope Christensen isn't rushed back but it seems that he will be treated more cautiously.
I hadn't seen that so I found what Chris Scott said "Billie Smedts played off the back of one VFL game but that was because he had a really solid preparation and training load. That was all he needed."

Just goes to show that fitness base isn't everything as far as Billie's performances go so far, "touch" might also have been needed.:) Hopefully he can find a bit of that against the Saints. Looking at the draw I was hoping we could squeeze Bundy in soon in a 'softer' game, but the way the competition is this year none of the games to come really look like walkovers anymore. Perhaps the Saints at home on form looks the easiest. That should be the team rule anyway I suppose, no underdone players unless absolutely necessary no matter who the opponent.

Aside from that it's great to have Caddy & Bundy not too far away, both will add a bit of inside grunt and the odd goal, and allow Johnson especially to spend more time up forward.

Still don't know if these lists are provided by the club or by jounalists guessing.

Considering the AFL,AGE & HUN can put out lists on the same day with massive differences it has to be journos,otherwise why would a club,in this case Geelong with Caddy,come out on a Tuesday and say he'll be playing VFL on Saturday yet the very next day he gets listed as 1-2 weeks ?

I hadn't seen that so I found what Chris Scott said "Billie Smedts played off the back of one VFL game but that was because he had a really solid preparation and training load. That was all he needed."

Just goes to show that fitness base isn't everything as far as Billie's performances go so far, "touch" might also have been needed.:) Hopefully he can find a bit of that against the Saints. Looking at the draw I was hoping we could squeeze Bundy in soon in a 'softer' game, but the way the competition is this year none of the games to come really look like walkovers anymore. Perhaps the Saints at home on form looks the easiest. That should be the team rule anyway I suppose, no underdone players unless absolutely necessary no matter who the opponent.

Aside from that it's great to have Caddy & Bundy not too far away, both will add a bit of inside grunt and the odd goal, and allow Johnson especially to spend more time up forward.
Billie's injury was, at first, listed as bone bruising but turned out to be a fracture (which I assume would be minor but still need healing prior to playing). I would then assume that Billie was able to keep up with a lot of his training- though modified- despite not being able to play.
Christensen had a back op which would've restricted him much more than Billie's injury restricted Billie- hence Scott had no qualms about putting Billie into the AFL side and may be a bit reluctant to put Christensen back without a couple more games under his belt- mostly to gain fitness as there is no doubting his talent.

Having said that, though, anything can happen- and it probably will! ;)
It's getting quite exciting, with all those players listed as 1-2 weeks away. Caddy probably would've been able to keep his fitness levels up, too, despite his foot fracture- so he might follow the Smedts path, with little time in the VFL.

You FOUND HIM!!!! Thanks goyoucatters!!! We've been looking for him for absolutely AGES!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back