Injury 2023 injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This cunning omission must've had the other clubs confused and unsure how to respond.
The issues D BRIDGE brings up are pretty important and shouldn't be trivialised. It's certainly a possible angle regarding players that are not universally known. I'd much rather consider plausible explanations rather than undertake endless mocking.

I agree that there can be other reasons why players aren't playing other than being injured... As you have stated above.

That's the reason I mentioned a few times that something sus or unusual was up with Willis.

He was finally playing and playing ok and then all of a sudden he vanished into thin air without a mention.

If he was injured, I don't see why they wouldn't just pop him on the injury list or mention him in one of the weekly updates.

This lead me to believe he could have been having some other issues... He might of just been injured and they couldn't be bothered sticking him on an injury list (I doubt it though) and now because of the way it went down I have worries about Willis (is he having mental health issues, did he get pinged for 3x strikes, what else could it be if it's not an injury?)... these thoughts could be completely unjustified, but that's just what happens (in my head) when there is no updates or mention of a player for so long.

By the way, I'm not saying the club should be spilling everything just because of the way I think/feel.

I genuinely wonder what level of player you need to be before you just vanish and not have it mentioned, or have the fans get really dirty on why the club is pretending a certain player doesn't exist.

Danger, Hawkins, Stewart, Cameron level... no chance.
Guthrie, Blitz level... no chance.
Stengle, Miers, SDK level... no chance.
Kolo, Rohan level... it's getting closer.
Bews, MOC level... Closer again/maybe.
Neale, Willis, Mullin, Whyte level... Geelong says yes to this level.

Willis played VFL between rounds 3 & 10 excluding the bye round and our round 5 AFL trip to SA for gather round - so that's roughly April 10 -> May 28

A couple of weeks after his last game, his contract extension was announced so it seemed everything was good

I know it was then a 2 month period with no mention, and I joked during that period he was on holidays but I also wouldn't be surprised if there was something else at play, especially when you consider how the hernia injury was reported by the club:

"Meanwhile, young Cat James Willis is expected to be sidelined for the short term after a hernia operation last week. Willis, who is expected back at the Club on Wednesday, won't be sidelined for long and is set to jump straight into running on his return."

The bolded really stood out to me and does kinda suggest he wasn't at the club for at least some period of time, not just a guy who had been away for a week due to surgery - could be personal reasons, family or something he wasn't comfortable being shared

Maybe that's where you also need something outside of the injury list and a note like, "Jimmy Willis is currently unavailable for selection and an update will be provided in time"

In the injury list before round 23, Willis was listed as 'hernia - short term' after not being mentioned the previous few weeks.

Except it was mentioned in the round 21 injury update article that he had had a hernia operation the week before

The issues D BRIDGE brings up are pretty important and shouldn't be trivialised. It's certainly a possible angle regarding players that are not universally known. I'd much rather consider plausible explanations rather than undertake endless mocking.

No mocking......right.

Like post 1837 for example?

Anyhow, I've broken a rule here because I viewed the post to which SC replied, and have responded to the poster in question......

You see, you called me a troll, and referenced me as a coward, in your last two posts before today, so I trust you'll understand my desire to have no further interaction.

Cheers

Sure, but why do other clubs not have such players who are undeserving of mention?

And ‘endless mocking’ is overstating things somewhat. Not sure why we have to be deadly serious on here all the time. I can understand that people love the club and get defensive when they perceive it’s being criticised. But this is a small issue for a club that is overwhelmingly professional in almost everything it does (and which, incidentally, we all love).

‘Plausible explanations’ at this stage are pure speculation, like much that is discussed on this board.

If anything I think the club may be protective of Kroeger in particular and Willis, who’ve hardly played for two years. That’s my ‘plausible explanation’.

No mocking......right.

Like post 1837 for example?

Anyhow, I've broken a rule here because I viewed the post to which SC replied, and have responded to the poster in question......

You see, you called me a troll, and referenced me as a coward, in your last two posts before today, so I trust you'll understand my desire to have no further interaction.

Cheers
Refer to D Bridge's post above that articulates potential nuances of the situation more articulately than I can.

I will not be responding to the inflammatory nature of the rest of the post, merely noting the type of discourse I find more productive in this thread.

Cheers.

Sure, but why do other clubs not have such players who are undeserving of mention?

And ‘endless mocking’ is overstating things somewhat. Not sure why we have to be deadly serious on here all the time. I can understand that people love the club and get defensive when they perceive it’s being criticised. But this is a small issue for a club that is overwhelmingly professional in almost everything it does (and which, incidentally, we all love).

‘Plausible explanations’ at this stage are pure speculation, like much that is discussed on this board.

If anything I think the club may be protective of Kroeger in particular and Willis, who’ve hardly played for two years. That’s my ‘plausible explanation’.
To be honest I don't trust many people's opinions of exactly what other clubs report on, as like cats_09 I have actually looked before and found surprising inconsistencies.

"Endless mocking" only comes from 1 or 2 I can think of in here. One poster does the same with Chris Scott soundbites. It gets repetitive and boring fast. The rest in here mostly have fairly balanced takes. I put yours in the latter category.

To be honest I don't trust many people's opinions of exactly what other clubs report on, as like cats_09 I have actually looked before and found surprising inconsistencies.

"Endless mocking" only comes from 1 or 2 I can think of in here. One poster does the same with Chris Scott soundbites. It gets repetitive and boring fast. The rest in here mostly have fairly balanced takes. I put yours in the latter category.
No worries. I agree that other clubs are less than fulsome in their injury reports, but I’d put Geelong towards the bottom in terms of transparency.

This is a minor issue in the scheme of things in terms of an extraordinarily successful club. And I think it has improved its communication to members/supporters generally in recent times.

Guess I’m not the only grumpy cat around here these days

Not grumpy at all SC.

I doubt anyone here would appreciate being called a troll and a coward, so I don't see calling it out, or my desire to ignore the poster going forward, as unusual or extreme.

It's a shame because they're a knowledgeable poster, but there's certain other traits that cloud the posting, and I'm a regular target, so I think I'm doing the right thing for all concerned.

Anyhow, back OT.

Except it was mentioned in the round 21 injury update article that he had had a hernia operation the week before
Thanks. I must have missed that (or forgotten). He did disappear from the injury reports for a couple of weeks at least from memory when not playing.

Kroeger is the main one, but maybe his setbacks were so frustrating for both him and the club that they decided it was best not to mention him (again, speculation).

AT ALL, CAN WE PLEASE TAKE A STEP BACK FOR A MOMENT

This topic seems to be getting a bit tense, passion being shown and maybe getting close to accidentally & unfortunately crossing a few lines

I know that none of the folks who have been posting today are trolls, those looking to bait/fish or that seek to intentionality cause issues on the board, but I think the passion some feel for the topic at hand is causing us to look at things in a way that maybe just isn't there is or isn't meant to be taken

It may just be time to take some deep breaths, look at things from the perspective of others and try to understand that when opinions are being expressed it's not necessarily being done in a manner to troll or cause friction - we're getting enough of that s**t from opposition posters at the moment, which no doubt will likely grow in coming time, so we don't need it from within

Not sure where all others are, but for those in Geelong, it's a beautiful sunny Saturday afternoon - let's enjoy the rest of the day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AT ALL, CAN WE PLEASE TAKE A STEP BACK FOR A MOMENT

This topic seems to be getting a bit tense, passion being shown and maybe getting close to accidentally & unfortunately crossing a few lines

I know that none of the folks who have been posting today are trolls, those looking to bait/fish or that seek to intentionality cause issues on the board, but I think the passion some feel for the topic at hand is causing us to look at things in a way that maybe just isn't there is or isn't meant to be taken

It may just be time to take some deep breaths, look at things from the perspective of others and try to understand that when opinions are being expressed it's not necessarily being done in a manner to troll or cause friction - we're getting enough of that s**t from opposition posters at the moment, which no doubt will likely grow in coming time, so we don't need it from within

Not sure where all others are, but for those in Geelong, it's a beautiful sunny Saturday afternoon - let's enjoy the rest of the day
From my perspective, I come to this thread to get useful insights on various injuries/treatments - many posters...but VDubs is one (while some of us have personal experience with various injuries) - the updates the club DOES provide and then other useful bits of info: player's social media, K Rock, an inside source from our posters connections, plausible speculation such as D Bridge's posts.

Within reason I accept that balanced discussions on how the club communicates and exactly what info they share belong here. It might be useful to have a separate thread given it has become 90% of the content in here, but whatever, it remains a hot topic.

Where I get frustrated are the little snipes and mocking comments that offer little and are often tasteless in this setting - players are undergoing physical and/or mental hardship that some of us can relate to. And we all share certain amounts to certain parties - D Bridge was kind of on the money there. It would be baffling to see that topic be turned into such a source of mocking and derision in any other setting. So I don't think it's something we should encourage here.

Just my 2 cents.

TO LEAVE
Smith
Ceglar
Ratigulea (sadly)
Foster
Menegola (sadly)

KEEP
Parfitt (right age and is a solid enough payer)

SELECT

Pick up Dow or Couch (I am concerned about Danger)

Common sense is to pick one of Bryan, Sweet or Flynn to support an injury-prone Stanley or an unready Conway

Key backman with our first selection. Particularly if as is rumored SDK may play forward down the track.

Thanks. I must have missed that (or forgotten). He did disappear from the injury reports for a couple of weeks at least from memory when not playing.

Kroeger is the main one, but maybe his setbacks were so frustrating for both him and the club that they decided it was best not to mention him (again, speculation).

This is a comment I made earlier in the season and it seemed to hold true at least over the first half of the season - when it came to injuries, the club seemed more focused on reporting what it knew rather than speculating on what it didn't

Take Jack Henry as an example - we all knew he had a broken foot that required surgery, but we didn't get many updates after that. Then it was somewhat endless speculation about how he was tracking with reports ranging from, he'll return before the bye, it'll be after the bye, he's hoping to be back before the end of the season to it being a season ending injury. Then it was like the round 8 injury update which says he's back in full training and will return at some level the following week

It was similar with Stanley where they seemed to be waiting to see how his sight would recover before they put a timeframe on things

With Kroeger I think it was a lot of unknowns which made things difficult. There was a report before the season started saying both him & Willis underwent hip surgery in Dec, and we know Willis returned to playing in April. With Kroeger, things I heard both here and elsewhere have a strong indication that for every step forward in his return, there was like 5 steps back as his hip wasn't responding in a positive manner & impacting his ability for even basic training

I can understand the club keeping him out of the weekly injury update when we're talking about a 19yr old with an not just an unknown playing future, but also potentially life after football depending on how his hip responds to treatment

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something similar with Willis and the two missing months. I think someone suggested on here he had a sore foot but it wasn't expected to keep him out but we know he then missed another week or two when it wasn't thought would

This is pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if it started to become a bit more of mental side of things for Jimmy rather than necessarily a physical injury. He'd not long returned from a potentially serious injury, and he now has another part of the body that's sore/hurting, which I could see easily having an impact from the mental side of things and the doubt that could have crept into his mind. For all we know, the club told him to take a break, that he had a contract for next year and to take the time to make sure he was right

When going through through the injury cycle he has, there may also be an aspect of learning to understand the differences between sore, hurt and injury - by the time we get 3/4s of the way through the season I doubt there's too many players who aren't playing with some sort of soreness, so it can be learning to trust that it's ok to be sore

This is a comment I made earlier in the season and it seemed to hold true at least over the first half of the season - when it came to injuries, the club seemed more focused on reporting what it knew rather than speculating on what it didn't

Take Jack Henry as an example - we all knew he had a broken foot that required surgery, but we didn't get many updates after that. Then it was somewhat endless speculation about how he was tracking with reports ranging from, he'll return before the bye, it'll be after the bye, he's hoping to be back before the end of the season to it being a season ending injury. Then it was like the round 8 injury update which says he's back in full training and will return at some level the following week

It was similar with Stanley where they seemed to be waiting to see how his sight would recover before they put a timeframe on things

With Kroeger I think it was a lot of unknowns which made things difficult. There was a report before the season started saying both him & Willis underwent hip surgery in Dec, and we know Willis returned to playing in April. With Kroeger, things I heard both here and elsewhere have a strong indication that for every step forward in his return, there was like 5 steps back as his hip wasn't responding in a positive manner & impacting his ability for even basic training

I can understand the club keeping him out of the weekly injury update when we're talking about a 19yr old with an not just an unknown playing future, but also potentially life after football depending on how his hip responds to treatment

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something similar with Willis and the two missing months. I think someone suggested on here he had a sore foot but it wasn't expected to keep him out but we know he then missed another week or two when it wasn't thought would

This is pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if it started to become a bit more of mental side of things for Jimmy rather than necessarily a physical injury. He'd not long returned from a potentially serious injury, and he now has another part of the body that's sore/hurting, which I could see easily having an impact from the mental side of things and the doubt that could have crept into his mind. For all we know, the club told him to take a break, that he had a contract for next year and to take the time to make sure he was right

When going through through the injury cycle he has, there may also be an aspect of learning to understand the differences between sore, hurt and injury - by the time we get 3/4s of the way through the season I doubt there's too many players who aren't playing with some sort of soreness, so it can be learning to trust that it's ok to be sore

It'll be interesting to see how the club reconciles such situations to comply with the AFL's new guidelines going forward.

It'll be interesting to see how the club reconciles such situations to comply with the AFL's new guidelines going forward.

List everyone as season and then bring it back?

I understand that there are posters here who are fed up with discussing the different perspectives on how the club handles injury reporting. We have some posters that think the club does rather well, all things considered. There's others (obviously me, for a start) who continue to believe they could do better. Surely it's not that surprising (or disturbing) that diverse views such as these should exist on an online forum.

I also accept that some will say they can't stand the jocularity with which some posters (me again, of course) express their views on how the club conducts itself in this regard. In response, I can only say that I seek to direct my jocular comments towards the club, rather than towards injured players. I don't see a place for any injured player to be the subject of mirth, and I believe my posting in the past reflects that intention.

On the wider point of how posters 'disagree' on this forum, I continue to find it bizarre how this rolls. Rather than just ignoring posters they don't appreciate (expressing views they can't stomach), posters here seem to feel the need to respond to them. Which only leads to the original posters responding once more. Which leads to more and more of the content that posters say they can't abide.🤦‍♂️

What prevents people from just ignoring the content (or the posters) that rile them makes no sense to me. None of us can control what other people choose to post. But choosing to respond or react to said posters is absolutely our own choice. And if we're satisfied that the forum should be a place where people can post as they choose (despite how annoying their view might be to us), we're going to have to accept that seriously frustrating content (to us) is going to continue to bob up here. All of which means that we'll all do better if we choose to focus on how (or whether) we respond, rather than focusing on what other participants here choose to post.

I understand that there are posters here who are fed up with discussing the different perspectives on how the club handles injury reporting. We have some posters that think the club does rather well, all things considered. There's others (obviously me, for a start) who continue to believe they could do better. Surely it's not that surprising (or disturbing) that diverse views such as these should exist on an online forum.

I also accept that some will say they can't stand the jocularity with which some posters (me again, of course) express their views on how the club conducts itself in this regard. In response, I can only say that I seek to direct my jocular comments towards the club, rather than towards injured players. I don't see a place for any injured player to be the subject of mirth, and I believe my posting in the past reflects that intention.

On the wider point of how posters 'disagree' on this forum, I continue to find it bizarre how this rolls. Rather than just ignoring posters they don't appreciate (expressing views they can't stomach), posters here seem to feel the need to respond to them. Which only leads to the original posters responding once more. Which leads to more and more of the content that posters say they can't abide.🤦‍♂️

What prevents people from just ignoring the content (or the posters) that rile them makes no sense to me. None of us can control what other people choose to post. But choosing to respond or react to said posters is absolutely our own choice. And if we're satisfied that the forum should be a place where people can post as they choose (despite how annoying their view might be to us), we're going to have to accept that seriously frustrating content (to us) is going to continue to bob up here. All of which means that we'll all do better if we choose to focus on how (or whether) we respond, rather than focusing on what other participants here choose to post.

Good post.

Ignoring one's own use of the ignore function is a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back