Injury 2023 injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
BUT in the cases of TC and FK, it was not for the reasons you are alluding to, or what CS said he was trying to prevent.
I strongly believe these wonderful words of wisdom from Uncle Michael

We are victims of too much instant gratification. Do we really have a right to know everything about our players? Every time we demand it?
Incomes..
Injury assessments ..

No. There is certainly a boundary on what we deserve to know but I still feel as a club we seem to be....ummmm extra elusive? With information and updates pertaining to injuries. Are we the only club to be elusive? No. Is there a consistent pattern of being particularly vague regarding injuries for a number of years? I feel yes.

That doesn't seem to be everyone's experience according to this thread but I'm glad to read that other posters feel the same way. I almost feel gaslit in this thread at times.

No. There is certainly a boundary on what we deserve to know but I still feel as a club we seem to be....ummmm extra elusive? With information and updates pertaining to injuries. Are we the only club to be elusive? No. Is there a consistent pattern of being particularly vague regarding injuries for a number of years? I feel yes.

That doesn't seem to be everyone's experience according to this thread but I'm glad to read that other posters feel the same way. I almost feel gaslit in this thread at times.

I sometimes think it's a result of Scott and Lloyd being seduced by their own sense of cleverness, but the strategic advantage they believe to be gained by it is imaginary imo.

For all those continually constructing the strawman here of 'crazy people who want to know everything', let's live in the real world of what those who take an interest in the entirety of our playing list believe is reasonable.

Take Willis this season. He got out on the park in the VFL at one point during the year. He then missed the next week, and the next, and the next, and the next. We got out to at least a month before anything was mentioned about his absence at all.

In a case such as his, how difficult would it have been to add one line to the weekly injury report, from the first week he failed to appear...

James Willis leg TBC

You're not divulging any incredible secrets. You can use a vague description of one region of his body. You're not even apparently obliged to put any sort of specific timeframe on his return. You're just making the people who follow the Cats aware of the fact that they can expect to see Willis miss some football. As it is, the team list for the Bankers rolled out every weekend, with no sign of Willis and no mention of what was going on with him. That's just treating everybody like fools, including Willis himself. People don't just vanish, yet the GFC injury approach suggests exactly that, for multiple players for weeks at a time in any given season.

So incredibly silly, And, as outlined above, so easily avoided.

We are victims of too much instant gratification. Do we really have a right to know everything about our players? Every time we demand it?
Incomes..
Injury assessments ..

Sorry that's ridiculous. No one has suggested anywhere knowing everything. Nor income.

It's very simple, all that is asked for - which is so simple, so standard, is....

Player 1: Hamstring, 2-3 weeks
Player 2: Calf, 4 weeks
Player 3: ACL, season
Player 4: foot, 8-12 weeks

And update that every week as needed. It's childishly simple.

Players can only exist in three states:

1. Seniors
2. VFL
3. Injured

They can't be anywhere else.

I sometimes think it's a result of Scott and Lloyd being seduced by their own sense of cleverness, but the strategic advantage they believe to be gained by it is imaginary imo.
Or imaginary by us (supporters)? I don't even know anymore, you start drawing your own conclusions and that's part of the problem. In my head I think they are trying to gain some bull s**t strategic advantage but who knows.

It reads as if some put it down to the fact that most supporters wouldn't care about less famous players. Well I care and I kind of assumed posting on a board with Geelong supporters that I was amongst allies. Other cats supporters I speak to feel frustrated that we just have no idea about what's happened to players at times.

I get it's a different group of staff now but from Balmes old "couple of weeks" (didn't see them for 2 months), late changes and now absent injury info all together (plus the midterm stuff) this is just an area that has frustrated me for a long time and I'm kind of surprised that there's so much response describing it as a non issue. Does it keep me awake at night? No. Do I care enough to write a letter? No. Does is s**t me a bit to type on a forum thinking I'd get some shared acknowledgement from fellow cat supporters which might ease the frustration? Yes.

Or imaginary by us (supporters)? I don't even know anymore, you start drawing your own conclusions and that's part of the problem. In my head I think they are trying to gain some bull s**t strategic advantage but who knows.

It reads as if some put it down to the fact that most supporters wouldn't care about less famous players. Well I care and I kind of assumed posting on a board with Geelong supporters that I was amongst allies. Other cats supporters I speak to feel frustrated that we just have no idea about what's happened to players at times.

I get it's a different group of staff now but from Balmes old "couple of weeks" (didn't see them for 2 months), late changes and now absent injury info all together (plus the midterm stuff) this is just an area that has frustrated me for a long time and I'm kind of surprised that there's so much response describing it as a non issue. Does it keep me awake at night? No. Do I care enough to write a letter? No. Does is s**t me a bit to type on a forum thinking I'd get some shared acknowledgement from fellow cat supporters which might ease the frustration? Yes.

Well said.

I wonder what the reaction would be if it were Dangerfield that was injured, and he was omitted from the injury report, or we were given a simple 'mid term' answer?

Yes, he's a key senior player, but the principle is the same nonetheless.

1. Seniors
2. VFL
3. Injured

You say that. But if the career of Josh Cowan taught us anything, it was that those down at the Cattery have opened up a portal to a mystical fourth alternative...

twilight_zone_banner.jpg

Sorry that's ridiculous. No one has suggested anywhere knowing everything. Nor income.

It's very simple, all that is asked for - which is so simple, so standard, is....

Player 1: Hamstring, 2-3 weeks
Player 2: Calf, 4 weeks
Player 3: ACL, season
Player 4: foot, 8-12 weeks

And update that every week as needed. It's childishly simple.

1. Seniors
2. VFL
3. Injured

If it's that standard, simple and black and white, we don't need the club to tell us anything. You watch the games, see the injuries, and declare what is standard.

But seriously, that sort of info is delivered for the obvious concerns. Most weeks. Show me where that was not the case.
It's the grey areas where they are protective, those injuries that may require surgery, but have been managed, the head injuries that take longer, the joint injuries where there is bone bruising, and they can't train, and it's a waiting game. Do we want opposition teams to know that some players can not train at all, but may get selected, or come on as a sub?
And we have a fair % of players with those grey area injuries,.

If it's that standard, simple and black and white, we don't need the club to tell us anything. You watch the games, see the injuries, and declare what is standard.

But seriously, that sort of info is delivered for the obvious concerns. Most weeks. Show me where that was not the case.
It's the grey areas where they are protective, those injuries that may require surgery, but have been managed, the head injuries that take longer, the joint injuries where there is bone bruising, and they can't train, and it's a waiting game. Do we want opposition teams to know that some players can not train at all, but may get selected, or come on as a sub?
Examples above. James Willis didn't exist for 4 months.

Stevie J vs Steven Baker.

Not knowing if to put in talls or smalls.

Obsfucating mental health problems of the players.

Not divulging info protects the players and it makes it harder for the opposition to plan to play against you.

Life is a game of inches. Giving up info about the team is giving an inch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unlikely opposition teams care about whether Kroeger or Willis can train. So why not name them?

Not sure what you mean by oversight. Do you mean the club forgot to name Kroeger for 20 weeks?
Yes. Maybe not forgot, but chose to until someone asked??
Hardly anyone even knew he was on our list- no VFL games, no AFL games.
But I know he's a gun.

From where I viewed, we got that.
The omission of a player's existence - you refer to Kroeger? Conway? I gleaned from initial reports that they were significant long term injuries, and that there was nothing to report.

Regarding Conway, it seemed he was put through a training block for a good 6 - 8 weeks before his VFL season debut - so not injured, just not playing as the club was being more structured with building him up for a return to playing

Similar for Riccardi & Murdoch who were put through a training block during the middle of the season, rather than just VFL every week

How are those players meant to be treated as they're technically not injured, it's just that they aren't playing - not sure that fits onto the injury list

1. Seniors
2. VFL
3. Injured

There's more than 3 states:

4. Suspended
5. Not playing - managed
6. Not playing - training block
7. Not playing - personal

Things aren't as black & white with players either on the field or injured

Regarding Conway, it seemed he was put through a training block for a good 6 - 8 weeks before his VFL season debut - so not injured, just not playing as the club was being more structured with building him up for a return to playing

Similar for Riccardi & Murdoch who were put through a training block during the middle of the season, rather than just VFL every week

How are those players meant to be treated as they're technically not injured, it's just that they aren't playing - not sure that fits onto the injury list

I agree that there can be other reasons why players aren't playing other than being injured... As you have stated above.

That's the reason I mentioned a few times that something sus or unusual was up with Willis.

He was finally playing and playing ok and then all of a sudden he vanished into thin air without a mention.

If he was injured, I don't see why they wouldn't just pop him on the injury list or mention him in one of the weekly updates.

This lead me to believe he could have been having some other issues... He might of just been injured and they couldn't be bothered sticking him on an injury list (I doubt it though) and now because of the way it went down I have worries about Willis (is he having mental health issues, did he get pinged for 3x strikes, what else could it be if it's not an injury?)... these thoughts could be completely unjustified, but that's just what happens (in my head) when there is no updates or mention of a player for so long.

By the way, I'm not saying the club should be spilling everything just because of the way I think/feel.

I genuinely wonder what level of player you need to be before you just vanish and not have it mentioned, or have the fans get really dirty on why the club is pretending a certain player doesn't exist.

Danger, Hawkins, Stewart, Cameron level... no chance.
Guthrie, Blitz level... no chance.
Stengle, Miers, SDK level... no chance.
Kolo, Rohan level... it's getting closer.
Bews, MOC level... Closer again/maybe.
Neale, Willis, Mullin, Whyte level... Geelong says yes to this level.

Last edited:
I agree that there can be other reasons why players aren't playing other than being injured... As you have stated above.

That's the reason I mentioned a few times that something sus or unusual was up with Willis.

He was finally playing and playing ok and then all of a sudden he vanished into thin air without a mention.

If he was injured, I don't see why they wouldn't just pop him on the injury list or mention him in one of the weekly updates.

This lead me to believe he could have been having some other issues... He might of just been injured and they couldn't be bothered sticking him on an injury list (I doubt it though) and now because of the way it went down I have worries about Willis (is he having mental health issues, did he get pinged for 3x strikes, what else could it be if it's not an injury?)... these thoughts could be completely unjustified, but that's just what happens (in my head) when there is no updates or mention of a player for so long.

By the way, I'm not saying the club should be spilling everything just because of the way I think/feel.

I genuinely wonder what level of player you need to be before you just vanish and not have it mentioned, or have the fans get really dirty on why the club is pretending a certain player doesn't exist.

Danger, Hawkins, Stewart, Cameron level... no chance.
Guthrie, Blitz level... no chance.
Stengle, Miers, SDK level... no chance.
Kolo, Rohan level... it's getting closer.
Bews, MOC level... Closer again/maybe.
Neale, Willis, Mullin, Whyte level... Geelong says yes to this level.
In the injury list before round 23, Willis was listed as 'hernia - short term' after not being mentioned the previous few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back