Injury 2014 general injury updates - for specific injuries, refer to specific injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Billie's injury was, at first, listed as bone bruising but turned out to be a fracture (which I assume would be minor but still need healing prior to playing). I would then assume that Billie was able to keep up with a lot of his training- though modified- despite not being able to play.
Christensen had a back op which would've restricted him much more than Billie's injury restricted Billie- hence Scott had no qualms about putting Billie into the AFL side and may be a bit reluctant to put Christensen back without a couple more games under his belt- mostly to gain fitness as there is no doubting his talent.

Also, Billie had done the entire pre-season before being injured in one of the pre-season games. In contrast, Bundy first had a hip clean-out around Christmas, and then later his back surgery, so no pre-season fitness base at all.

I think this more than anything will mean they err on the side of caution and give him another run in the VFL this week.

Yes- good point mac_cat. That preseason training is a huge plus for Billie- I suspect he wouldn't have lost a huge amount of fitness in his time out. He'd just have had to not do too much weight-bearing stuff in the initial stages of his fracture healing.

Yes- good point mac_cat. That preseason training is a huge plus for Billie- I suspect he wouldn't have lost a huge amount of fitness in his time out. He'd just have had to not do too much weight-bearing stuff in the initial stages of his fracture healing.
Yeah I suppose my point was while his fitness is ok his game sense is a little bit behind where it might be with so little intense game time.

Except if they're Dan Menzel ;-)

I think In all seriousness Menzel has at least demonstrated an ability to play at an elite level. Whether he can get back to that level is arguable but I think having come this far with his latest round of surgery he deserves one further opportunity to resurrect his career.
Is there any precedent in the competition, or any other sport, of a player returning after such a prolonged absence and after such debilitating injuries?

Is there any precedent in the competition, or any other sport, of a player returning after such a prolonged absence and after such debilitating injuries?

There would be. But not successfully.

Boxing historically had plenty of guys have long layoffs and then come back. The only one I can think of that was successful was Mohammad Ali; big difference of course he wasn't injured, he was stripped of the title at age 24. Even though he was still a youngish 28 when he came back, he was nowhere near the same fighter. Credit to him that he managed to regain the heavyweight title and maintain an incredibly busy fight schedule, but he wasn't recovering from any kind of injury. Certainly not 4 knee reconstructions.

Bradman returned successfully after a years-long break through illness and injury.

Simpson returned successfully after 10 years of retirement from 1st class cricket.

There would be. But not successfully.

Boxing historically had plenty of guys have long layoffs and then come back. The only one I can think of that was successful was Mohammad Ali; big difference of course he wasn't injured, he was stripped of the title at age 24. Even though he was still a youngish 28 when he came back, he was nowhere near the same fighter. Credit to him that he managed to regain the heavyweight title and maintain an incredibly busy fight schedule, but he wasn't recovering from any kind of injury. Certainly not 4 knee reconstructions.

Geroge Foreman became heavy weight Champion at 45 a few years after a 10 year break.

Warne did it in Cricket
Mark Occhiluppoa in surfing
Randy Couture in MMA
Michael Jordan in Basketball.

Warne had one shoulder injury, he hadn't come back from four knee reconstructions.

Really, and not directly relevant to this post, the sole relevant question on whether Menzel can come back or not, is the medical opinions. Which, of course, are not available to us.
To say that nobody has done it before is not helpful, because it's not an issue on which "odds" are relevant; it is purely a physical question (including in "physical" his psychological attitude as well).
It would be equally helpful and unhelpful to say that he'll be OK, after all nobody has tried it before and failed, so his "odds" of success and failure are equal.

PS and, of course, for the 99% of us who are medically-uninformed, our opinion about whether or not he'll make it depends almost entirely upon whether or not we're an optimist or one of those other blokes.

Really, and not directly relevant to this post, the sole relevant question on whether Menzel can come back or not, is the medical opinions. Which, of course, are not available to us.
To say that nobody has done it before is not helpful, because it's not an issue on which "odds" are relevant; it is purely a physical question (including in "physical" his psychological attitude as well).
It would be equally helpful and unhelpful to say that he'll be OK, after all nobody has tried it before and failed, so his "odds" of success and failure are equal.

PS and, of course, for the 99% of us who are medically-uninformed, our opinion about whether or not he'll make it depends almost entirely upon whether or not we're an optimist or one of those other blokes.
Its easy for you to say all this as you sip tea from your half full cup!

Some light at the end of the tunnel.
Nice to see no one on the "medium term" list now on the medical report.

Schroeder and Caddy to play this week. Sounds like Mitch Brown shouldn't be far away.
Burbury, McCarthy, Cowan, and Bates listed as short term.
Motlop getting slowly better in the seniors and Christensen having a great first game back in the two's.

I just think our senior side has been and still is very close to a tipping point of players who are inexperienced, inconsistent, coming back from injury, questionable on form, or good honest VFL players. Not sure it can take too many more in those categories (I understand the bulk of our list comes under those categories though!).

It's the reason I don't want to rush Bundy back. Second games back after a long lay off are so often harder than the first as you deal with the soreness from the first.

Also don't want to rush Kersten, as we would be only guessing that the AFL delivery would improve his performance from his TWO VFL games this year. I know our need for him is so far greater than last year, but i'd still love him to come in after beating down the door in the VFL, like he was last year. I think he could be a big asset and want him given the best possible platform/chance to succeed.

In my perfect world we need Motlop to get closer to his best level. We need Christensen and Caddy brought back into the team when they've had a few hit outs in the VFL, we need the fringe players to find continuity and form in the VFL for weeks so at a given time (when Motlop, Christensen, Caddy are established) we can rotate some senior guys or sore quality guys out for a week of rest to freshen them up.
If those fringe players are debutants, I'd love them to be given the best the best opportunity (with as settled a team as possible with plenty of experience) to help make their first taste as smooth as possible. So getting a feel for the level is the main thing, rather than a desperate need for them to greatly improve the team.

That's a lot of the bleeding obvious, and with the age/game profile and injuries we've had we can't have our ideal scenario most weeks.

Just hopeful that the rate of return from injury and continuity continues to outstrip any new problems arising, as it has done the past weeks. If that can happen, it gives us a better platform to try to fix issues in our game, bank enough wins, and give us a chance, however small, to see how good we can be this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dockers ponder Morabito AFL return

Morabito is in the thick of the selection mix after tallying 28 disposals and three goals in the WAFL on Saturday.

The 22-year-old, who has endured three knee reconstructions since playing his last AFL game in 2010, has eight WAFL games under his belt this season.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8858558

Its easy for you to say all this as you sip tea from your half full cup!

I'm generally an optimist, in hoping for the best and not necessarily expecting the worst, and that's where I'm at with Menzel.
Since I have no relevant info (apparently unlike the many others on here who have formed a definite conclusion on his prospects), I just hope.

Nice little downgrade target! Now just need Shane to lace up the boots.

I'm generally an optimist, in hoping for the best and not necessarily expecting the worst, and that's where I'm at with Menzel.
Since I have no relevant info (apparently unlike the many others on here who have formed a definite conclusion on his prospects), I just hope.

Fair enough Fred. I'm the polar opposite. The only relevant information I have is that he's had 4 knee reconstructions, and in MAY this year (that's four whole months before the season ends) it was decided to put a line through 2014. Anyone who can someone interpret that as any kind of positive sign sees the situation very differently to me.

Fair enough Fred. I'm the polar opposite. The only relevant information I have is that he's had 4 knee reconstructions, and in MAY this year (that's four whole months before the season ends) it was decided to put a line through 2014. Anyone who can someone interpret that as any kind of positive sign sees the situation very differently to me.

I didn't interpret that as a positive.
I did interpret as positives the facts that (a) he was ruled out not because of the reco's, but because of another problem (from which, for example, Motlop has recovered) and (b) the club didn't rule him out, and didn't say they'd look at it after the season (delisting time), they said they'll look at it after next year's pre-season; when they didn't have to impose any deadline on themselves at all.
Also, I want him to make it.:D

I didn't interpret that as a positive.
I did interpret as positives the facts that (a) he was ruled out not because of the reco's, but because of another problem (from which, for example, Motlop has recovered) and (b) the club didn't rule him out, and didn't say they'd look at it after the season (delisting time), they said they'll look at it after next year's pre-season; when they didn't have to impose any deadline on themselves at all.
Also, I want him to make it.:D

This was the important thing for me. As I ve said before, it is external to the knee capsule and technically not directly ACL related. Whilst it is a complication, it is not another rupture and is recoverable. That is enough of a stay of decision for mine currently.

GO Catters

Is Keresten out again ?

Not named anywhere that I can see

According to the VFL preview thread, he is named at full forward for tomorrows match

17/06 injury update:

Harry Taylor - test, lucky for him, his foot was in the air so didn't do as much damage
GHS- Test
Burbury - test for full training, he is running.
McCarthy - 1 week
Get the impression from the comment by CS that Taylor will miss this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back