Competitions 2014 Hawk Board Phantom Draft (Complete)

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting into the speculative picks now. Love it.

Just making sure too, people are happy to still go to the fifth round? We've slowed down a bit but still going at a good rate, so about a week left if doing all five.

I am not sure how I will go at 94.....will not be to many profiles left to choose from. If it comes to that I might have to select a rookie upgrade or speculate on a DFA.
You could possibly make it more realistic by inserting the known rookie upgrades, and aligning live picks for each club....ie Hawthorn will not be needing to use 77 and 95.

Last edited:
I am not sure how I will go at 94.....will not be to many profiles deft to choose from. If it comes to that I might have to select a rookie upgrade or speculate on a DFA.

Yeah, we're getting towards the end, but I don't think we're getting that low. There's at least ~20 draftees by my estimations that should easily be selected, and I'm sure there's more here listed by Emma Quayle , or that people could find searching the main phantoms on this site. 12 picks were already pre-determined so that helps a bit, the pool isn't completely dried up. I do realise though that come the real thing, there's only going to be about 65 kids picked up in total, so we already will go into what the rookie draft picks may be.

So whilst I thought about it myself, letting rookie upgrades etc, I'm not really sold on encouraging it, because this draft is mainly about the kids that could be selected and telling people all about them. Yet if people are struggling, then fair enough it may be just as simple doing rookie upgrade.

Yeah, we're getting towards the end, but I don't think we're getting that low. There's at least ~20 draftees by my estimations that should easily be selected, and I'm sure there's more here listed by Emma Quayle , or that people could find searching the main phantoms on this site. 12 picks were already pre-determined so that helps a bit, the pool isn't completely dried up. I do realise though that come the real thing, there's only going to be about 65 kids picked up in total, so we already will go into what the rookie draft picks may be.

So whilst I thought about it myself, letting rookie upgrades etc, I'm not really sold on encouraging it, because this draft is mainly about the kids that could be selected and telling people all about them. Yet if people are struggling, then fair enough it may be just as simple doing rookie upgrade.

I might have to pull the boots on myself at pick 94

Pick 60: Geelong - Nathan Drummond

Height: 181cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 19/01/1995
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers
Profile: Hard, explosive midfielder.

Emma Quayle said:
Tough, inside medium midfielder with elite speed/endurance combination. Has had excellent TAC Cup year after being injured in 2013. Playing as a 19-year-old he averaged 15 disposals, four marks and six tackles for Vic Country in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Good leap and overhead mark for his size.

Pick 61: Carlton - Billy Frampton

Postion: KPF/Ruck
Height: 201cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 20/11/1996
Draft range: 50-rookie
Plays like: Undecided

Carlton consider their options carefully here, and decide to go with promising ruck/utility prospect in Billy Frampton. A 17 possession, 22 hit out a game ruckman, who manages to hit the scoreboard. Billy's promising performances for South Fremantle and WA have been largely overshadowed by the more prominent names in the big man category in the draft, and the results of the national championships. Clean hands, an extremely neat field kick for a big man, smooth set shot for goal (almost looks like a 'classic' technique), an abilty to read the bounce at it's peak - Billy is a very modest and multi skilled footballer. It is my belief, and I hope you watch his video, that his potential for a team is to be a key position swingman. He is not the swingman in the truest sense, he doesn't have the agility or fluidity of a roughead or gunstan etc - however, it is clear that he can play as a mobile full forward/centre half forward, or as the number 1 ruck, and I think he knows how to move the ball out of defense really well - and that his skill set could lead to him playing as a key position defender.

He, in my eyes, is an exciting 'prospect', worthy of selection on a senior list - but the unknown with big men and rucks, and the results to date from the champs etc, may see clubs let him slide to the rookie draft.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-14/draft-prospect-billy-frampton-

Oddhawk you're up!

#62 Essendon- Mitch Robinson
Position: Mid/Fwd
Height: 185cm Weight: 88kg DOB: 07/06/1989

Wouldn't have taken him here on draft day. For the same reasoning as Gunstall took Harry, I'm taking Mitch.

Let's be honest after the last 24 months Essendon need some k**t

Well.... Here he is

Tackling, kamikaze, tosser with poor disposal but could easily be the catalyst for Essendon to get some real mongrel about them.

Much as we became the "Unsociable Hawks". Essendon have too many sweethearts and no enough pricks...

Any questions?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok - I was waiting to see if BOS was going to list them with a profile, but can't keep the masses waiting...

Pick 65: Carlton - Josh Deluca-Cardillo

Position: Mid/Fwd
Height: 179cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 11/05/1996
Club: Subiaco
Projected Draft Range: 45-75
Plays like: Ben McGlynn (ish)

With some tasty small/medium forwards left, Carlton pull the trigger on another WA lad in Josh Deluca-Cardillo.

Josh missed the national champs with injury, but pulled off some great performances at senior level for Subiaco (including the Senior premiership) in the latter half of the year to put himself firmly back on the radar. His agility reminds me of Jack Gunstan to be honest (only he is shorter). He is very fluid, great lateral movement wherever he happens to be on the ground, and the odd limb flails about, almost as if he is somewhat made of rubber. Josh lacks a little bit of polish, but he brings that small forwards pressure you need, and more importantly he boasts other skills and attributes important to the modern game- can go through the middle, is good above his head and below his knees. Watch his video and you will notice that marking is in fact a feature of his field play. He is a proven goal kicker as well, the blues will not need to teach him where the sticks are at. Relatively quick, but more importantly, he can sustain his pace for long periods- placing 6th overall at the combine for the 3km time trial.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-10/josh-delucacardillo-highlights

Cyril_Grip you're up!

Pick 66: Gold Coast – Mark Pittonet

Postion: Ruck
Height: 201cm, Weight: 100kg, DOB: 3/6/1996
Draft range: 50-rookie
Plays like: Paul Salmon meets Dean Cox

Competitive, aggressive tap ruckman with a good set of dukes and pretty handy by hand or foot. Apparently had a great finish to the year for Oakleigh, especially in the finals. Tap work for Vic Metro was outstanding, feeding some pretty strong mids, and his willingness to get around the ground or sneak forward for a goal is very good also. Is already solidly built at 100kg, so could potentially play a couple of games next year if required. Pushed other skinnier rucks around with ease due to his comparative bulk, so you would hope that he would carry that through against more battle-hardened and seasoned opponents.

GC need a developing ruck with only Smith, Gorringe and Nicholls as rucks on the list. Day and Dixon can back up, but at this point they can’t afford to be taking them out of their forward line. With Gorringe looking for more opportunity and willing to move back to SA they may as well grab one now. Their midfield depth is good and by this stage of the draft I would be looking at a needs-based approach after picking more along the best available side for their first three picks.

There is also the possibility that they could promote a rookie with this pick – Josh Hall is apparently a chance for promotion, although hasn’t played any footy this year. He is a tall as well but a late starter to footy, coming from an aths background.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-16/draft-prospect-mark-pittonet

Last edited:
Close enough haha. I'll edit that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you guys done one of these with each big footy team board doing their own selections? I suppose it would be a logistical nightmare but it would be very interesting I reckon. I suppose you would need a selection panel from each board of say 5 members who would vote on each pick...yeah nightmare...but it would be good if it could be done...

Have you guys done one of these with each big footy team board doing their own selections? I suppose it would be a logistical nightmare but it would be very interesting I reckon. I suppose you would need a selection panel from each board of say 5 members who would vote on each pick...yeah nightmare...but it would be good if it could be done...
The actual Drafting Boys do a pretty comprehensive one every year: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/big-footy-phantom-draft-2014-trial-run.1071146/

Stalled a bit. Cyril did pick quite late last night so a bit of leeway is required from the 12hr rule. Make it sometime after 6pm, if bumsonseats hasn't turned up then auto select and Gunstall555 is up

Stalled a bit. Cyril did pick quite late last night so a bit of leeway is required from the 12hr rule. Make it sometime after 6pm, if bumsonseats hasn't turned up then auto select and Gunstall555 is up

Sorry I haven't been online today. I am moving house and had my car stolen last night so have been dealing with removalists and the police all day.

Can you please make a selection on my behalf. I haven't had enough time to make an informed selection, but I was thinking Sean McLaren. Either that or a goal kicking half forward. I will let you chose.

Apologies on the delay

Sorry I haven't been online today. I am moving house and had my car stolen last night so have been dealing with removalists and the police all day.

Can you please make a selection on my behalf. I haven't had enough time to make an informed selection, but I was thinking Sean McLaren. Either that or a goal kicking half forward. I will let you chose.

Apologies on the delay
priorities man...:p in all honesty I hope you get some good news about your car.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back