Competitions 2014 Hawk Board Phantom Draft (Complete)

Remove this Banner Ad

No Cyril_Grip so moving on with an auto selection, this time from Chris25's draft:

Pick 84. Gold Coast - Oleg Markov
South Australia / North Adelaide
187cm, 69kg Midfielder

If you're not overly familiar with the name, there's a good reason for that. Oleg Markov played just 6 games of SANFL U16 football in 2012, and didn't suit up for North Adelaide again until Round 1 in the U18s this year - and he lasted just a couple of minutes until he broke his collarbone. Hardly a great sample size to go off. But if you want to know how highly rated he is, just consider this - Markov was still named in the 40 man South Australian squad for the U18 Championships, and despite not playing a game at the Championships he still received an invite to the Draft Combine. So there must be something there that clubs and coaches like.

Back to 2012 though, and Markov kicked 19 goals in his 6 games for North Adelaide. I can't comment much further than though, what with not following the U16's or school football much at all. 2014 though was shaping up to be a big season, having tested very well as part of the U18 Academy and impressing at training with North Adelaide. But as I said before, he broke his collarbone in Round 1 which cost him over 2 months and his shot at impressing during the Championships - and I do think he would have played most, if not all, of South Australia's matches. He has since played two further games in the SANFL U18s - one quiet game and one where he finished in the best. And in that Round 8 match, Markov finished with 20 disposals at around 85% efficiency - along with 3 marks, 2 tackles, 3 clearances, 6 inside 50s and 3 rebound 50s. And had he not been injured, I imagine that would have been a fairly good indication of how he would have played all season.

His athleticism is a real strength, and I think we'll see his name at the top of the results tally quite often come the Combine. His 2.92 second 20m sprint time from the start of the year was the fastest among the SA U18 Academy and would have got him equal 7th at the Combine last year. While Markov also would have finished with top 10 results in the beep test and running vertical jump. But not only is he a remarkable athlete, he is a pretty handy footballer. He is able to translate those results onto the ground, and has natural skills - unlike a lot of athletes from previous years. A nice kick of the ball, his U16 performances suggest being comfortable around goal.

Having played so little recent football is probably the biggest area of concern around him, there just isn't a lot of tape to go on. But to get a Combine invite despite that is pretty impressive. Otherwise, weight and strength will be the big area for him to work on. He has a very lean frame, so it might take him a couple of years to really start to build muscle mass. Markov wont have much of an early impact, but given time should work his way into things quite well.

In terms of what to expect from him as a player, to me he projects best as an outside midfielder. With his speed and running ability, he'll really be able to stretch a lot of opposition teams playing off of a wing. Likewise, those same attributes could see him developed as a flanker at either end of the ground. And it's those attributes which saw him get his Draft Combine invite - tall, fast and skilled midfielders are all the rage at the moment. He does compare quite well on paper to Will Hoskin-Elliott of the Giants, Markov just obviously hasn't played as much as you'd like. I wont even try to come up with a possible draft range for him though, he is one of the great unknowns of this draft.

MadDawg you're up for Collingwood's final pick

11 more picks, we should be done by the end of the weekend hopefully, maybe make Sunday night the cutoff??? then we can just post kids we think have talent but weren't picked up? either way nearly done and it was fun, i'm very happy with the kids i got and had fun with this Phantom Draft, thanx for setting this up hawkinthetuarts :) .........
My picks have been over for a while, but i had a lot of fun and will definitely be doing this next year pleased with my picks in Wright/Lever/Pickett/Bampton/Steele/Finlayson. Cheers to HawkintheTuarts for all the work you put into this and what not and Davo-27 you helped out a lot so thanks.

Thanks!

I hope I didn't let my fellow Hawks down with my selections.
Ellis and Nelson were excellent prospects who slid so you did well there. Dear was probably a reach but all up a solid B+ I think, you picked thoughtfully and well. Same for everyone really. :)

Sorry about that folks just had some issues to sort out today and couldn't find the time. Don't mind the look of that pick though :thumbsu:
No probs!

Pick 85: Collingwood - Mitch McGovern

Position: Forward
Height: 191 cm, Weight: 84 kg, Age 20
Recruited from: Claremont
Player style: Jarryd Roughead

With our final pick, the Collingwood recruiting team look to shore up our forward line with the selection of McGovern.
Son of Fremantle player Andrew McGovern and brother of West Coast's Jeremy McGovern, Mitch comes from good AFL stock.

McGovern possesses excellent foot skills on either side of the body recording a score of 26/30 in the kicking test, he also recorded 87cm in the running vertical jump at the NAB AFL Draft Combine, finishing in the top 10 results for each category.
McGovern is strong mark and good on the lead, which is helped by his great speed and agility for his size.
Played 11 WAFL league games for Claremont this season, averaging 11 touches and kicking 10 goals.

Time for the Collingwood recruiting team to crack open a few tinnies, kick off our dunlop volleys and put our feet up after a job well done. Collingwood for premiers 2015.

nickrebellious your up

#88 Richmond Sam Bevan
Clare mont FC
195/82
KPF/KPD
Athletic mobile big man who I'm shocked has slide this far, can work up and down the ground like a flanker but equally as good in the air.

Last edited:
Pick 90-Fremantle-Will Kristelly
Height: 205cm Weight: 109kg D.O.B: 22/9/1996
Position: Ruckman
Recruited From: Brisbane Lions Academy

At this position genuine talent is replaced with other factors such as work ethic. While I don't think Fremantle will go this deep into the Draft, if they do then they'll go for the boy mountain that is Will Kristelly.

In this mock draft, I have had Fremantle pick up a Key power forward, a key medium defender and two midfielders. They (Fremantle) don't really need much else, but a backup for Sandilands-who is injury prone-would be an enticing proposition.

Kristelly is an extremely raw prospect, who relies more on his strength and size rather than footballing capabilities. Couldn't find solid statistics on the kid, which is disappointing. However, from all accounts he is an extremely good tap ruckman with a strong body and a respectable jump. His running capability isn't the best, but from watching his highlights I don't think I've seen him beaten in a 1 on contest. He will need to slim down to compete with the more athletic ruckman.

In short, should Sandilands and another ruckman (Clarke maybe?) go down with injury then Kristelly could immediately come in with his power and size to serve a Sandilands role-albeit considerably lacking. However, being only 18 years of age Kristelly could still improve his footballing skills and finesse to give Fremantle another Sandilands for the next 14 years or so.

Or it could fail. But at Pick 90, anything above an average contributor would make Fremantle very happy. image.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 91: Geelong - Aaron Wilson

WILSON-Aaron.jpg

(Dandenong Stingrays)

Height: 188cm
Weight: 79kg
Pos: Medium forward

Draft Machine said:
Medium-sized forward who kicked 26 goals in 17 games with the Dandenong Stingrays this season. He kicked a bag of five against Bendigo and a bag of four against the Geelong Falcons. Kicked seven goals in the Under-18 championships for Vic Country. Not a big possession winner but a good user and decision-maker. Good mark on the lead and knows how to create and find space

Your pick, SodaPop

PICK 92 - North Melbourne - ROBERT BLOOD | SOUTHPORT

BLOOD-Robert.jpg

Height:185cm
Weight:75kg
Pos:Midfielder

This rangy utility finished the season strongly after missing the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships with some niggling leg injuries. Blood can play half-back, wing or half-forward with his ability to run-and-carry helping both his club and state teams. He's a fluent mover in space, a nice, reliable kick on his right foot and a strong overhead mark. AFL Queensland academy and high performance coach Adrian Fletcher says the improvement in Blood's physicality has helped round his game out nicely.

hfc70 you're up.

Pick 93 - Brenton Payne

Position: Key forward
Height: 193 cm
Weight: 76 kg
Club: Western Jets

Having taken two mature age picks with our first two selections, we have gone for an excellent project player in Brenton.....can't believe he was still here for Pick 93. I think he is a definite Top50 pick. Watch the video on afl.com.au you will want this kids named called for the Hawks
;)

THE INSIDE WORD
Tall forward who times his leads well and has a strong pair of hands. Good repeat speed and applies excellent defensive pressure inside 50. Can play as a tall defender as well. Averaged nine possessions, two marks and two goals at 74 per cent efficiency in five appearances at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Played 13 games at TAC Cup level, averaging 13 touches and kicking 15 goals.

Last edited:
ok i'm gonna post some more guys i still have on my list, that i think might get picked up in the draft or rookie draft

Cory Gregson (Glenlg)
Jason Castagna (Northern)
Bailey Dale (Dand)
Dougal Howard (Wagga)
Matthew Uebergang (Ipswich)
Hugh Beasley (Oakl)
Joe Maishman (Geel)
Lachlan Waddell (Oakl)
Jayden Foster (Cald)
Adam Creeper (Subi)
Josh Watts (Glenorchy)
Sam Switkowski (Northern)
Jordan Foote (NSW)
Tim Jones (Tas)
Marcus Hamilton (NT)
Michael Manteit (Sand)
Tyler Roos (Sand)
Jermaine Miller-Lewis (Sth Frem)
Matthew Jackson (Oakl)
Jayden Short (Northern)
Zac Richards (Norw)

vfl/sanfl/wafl players

Sam Baulderstone (Norw)
Alex Howard (Swan Dist)
Jake Owen (Willi)
Brett Eddy (Sth Adel)
Blaine Boekhorst (Swan Dist)
Shane Yarran (Subi)

Last edited:
ok i'm gonna post some more guys i still have on my list, that i think might get picked up in the draft or rookie draft

Cory Gregson
Jason Castagna
Bailey Dale
Dougal Howard
Matthew Uebergang
Hugh Beasley
Joe Maishman
Lachlan Waddell
Jayden Foster
Adam Creeper
Josh Watts
Sam Switkowski
Jordan Foote
Tim Jones
Marcus Hamilton
Michael Manteit
Tyler Roos
Jermaine Miller-Lewis
Matthew Jackson
Jayden Short
Zac Richards

vfl/sanfl/wafl players

Sam Baulderstone (Norw)
Alex Howard (Swan Dist)
Jake Owen (Willi)
Brett Eddy (Sth Adel)
Blaine Boekhorst (Swan Dist)
Shane Yarran (Subi)

Mate, I tell you what, I wouldn't mind Tyler Roos on our list. Since I don't have to do a write up I won't, but here's the article: http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-tyler-roos

Seems to have a lot of talent, and certainly worth a lot. Since the Draft is only expected to go to around the Pick 70 range, we could actually get some true quality players on our rookie list (for example Goodyear, Hodge, McGovern, Roos, Castagna and hopefully Dear-if we don't use a pick for him).

I'd be super excited for players like these.

Mate, I tell you what, I wouldn't mind Tyler Roos on our list. Since I don't have to do a write up I won't, but here's the article: http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-tyler-roos

Seems to have a lot of talent, and certainly worth a lot. Since the Draft is only expected to go to around the Pick 70 range, we could actually get some true quality players on our rookie list (for example Goodyear, Hodge, McGovern, Roos, Castagna and hopefully Dear-if we don't use a pick for him).

I'd be super excited for players like these.

we have 4 rookie spots open, so i would think the club has their eye deep into the draft, Tyler Roos/Dylan Hodge/Harry Dear ect would be what we're looking at for the rookie draft i would think

Finished! Party time!
giphy.gif

Thanks to all who participated, hope you had fun. Apart from last round, everyone was super-active which made it even better and the detailed descriptions people wrote up really gave it a unique perspective so was always interesting to read. Also a big thanks to Davo, who kept things rolling if I wasn't around.

Cory Gregson (Glenlg)
Definitely the pick of the bunch. If had a rookie-list wishlist, it'd look similar to that too. Buykx-Smith as a KPD on there as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back