Player Sponsorship 2014 Travis Varcoe Sponsorship - PLEDGES AND PAYMENTS CLOSED

Remove this Banner Ad

Had the pleasure to get along to the Inner sanctum training session today an it was one of the best experiences you could hope to have.
The day started with a session with Paul Hood who explained what goes on when the coaching staff review the weekends game with the players, what they look for and the different things they highlight to the players.

Paul went on to talk about our game style this year and what we are trying to achieve with our set ups an now just rewatching the Collingwood game what it becomes very evident that how the coaches are asking them to play the boys are carrying out very well.
Paul then went onto some of the match day KPI's that the club track, the interesting thing here is that most of the match day KPI's were put forward by none other than Max Rooke. We were then shown how the days training would be structured with each event broken up into specific timed amounts with none running for longer for 10mins.

Then it was out to watch the boys train given the conditions the skills were of a really high standard with not too many balls hitting the ground. Saw Mots doing some warm up runs up the stairs of the Premiership stand and then doing some what looked to be timed runs up and down the Moorabool St wing he also later on took part in some goal kicking and a few kicking drills so the knee looks to be well healed. SJ didn't look to be doing much at training just a few light run through's, Boris looked to be moving well an looks every chance to play on the weekend. Joel Hambling was doing a fair bit of work on his marking, taking the ball out away from his body and taking it at it's highest point. Jimmy was doing a lot of goal kicking practise as was Hawk and Joshy Walker the boys were kicking them from a variety of locations and distances.

We then got a chance to go into the locker room and see the guys lockers but we couldn't take any photos here as there is a lot of personal information in the guys lockers.

It was then onto the auditorium to listen to a few words from the great man Mr Brian Cook, who spoke really well covering a variety of topics and answering a lot of questions put to him by the group. Some of the interesting things he said was when he spoke about the Geelong way how our players have the smallest range between our highest paid and lowest paid players but we have the highest number of players paid above the league average, covered that the club would have loved to retain Ablett jnr but if we did so it would have blown our pay scale to bits for what was asked for by Gary would have been half as much again over the second highest paid player and we might have had to get rid of 4 players to retain him. Brian spoke also about the stage 4 and 5 developments saying we should find out around state election time if we can secure state funding for it but that the word from the federal government isn't too flash at this point in time. Whilst walking to the chairmans room for lunch I was able to ask Brian how the Armstrong Creek training base was looking and he said that the developers are having some serious difficulties and that we are going to to look in another direction for this, he also confirmed that he isn't heading anywhere anytime soon as he signed a new four year deal last year;)

During lunch Steven Hocking spoke about the playing group and those currently rehabing. Nathan Vardy has had the surgery and is going to have some time away from the club and the game just to get himself out of the environment to help him heal, Steven spoke about how close Lincoln McCarthy was to never being able to play again as the foot injury he had was actually a hole in his navicular and how getting away from the club and heading home to SA last year really helped him heal there was something like a 70% increase in Lincoln's recovery just from being out of the stressful football club environment and they are hoping the same holds true for Vards. Menz had a little soreness around his knee but nothing tendon or ligament related which has seen his timetable moved back a few weeks but should still be able to play a few games at some level this year.

We then got to have a chat with the players for about 30 - 45mins which was great Trav looked to have copped a bit of a corked calf from training but seemed in really good spirits. Had a chat with Dawson and need to go get my neck massaged he is one seriously big unit and funny as all get out. Bundy has just started running again so is a Balmy 2 weeks away:p

All in a all it was a fantastic day and I can't thank SJ and Jimboy enough for once again organising the sponsorship of Trav

Ditto. Had a great time. Felt a bit odd as everyone seemed to know each other.

But all in a really interesting day. Had a good chat with Trav, really nice guy. The Q9 kicked him one in the calf, but he'll be fine for the weekend.

Boris reckons he's all good for the weekend.

Hocking made some interesting comments re Selwood and how hitting him is like hitting concrete! Lol.

TV reckons Blicklavs is a freak and is going to be a great player always trying to learn more.

Got a few piccies.

Can't get over how big they players are ie tall!!' Hawk is massive! Would have liked to chat to hmac but I didn't see him around.

Interesting that Chappy turned down an offer for a farewell which was a shame.

That's again for organising!

Awesome coverage and report there Cat Attack08.
Glad to see the prizes well appreciated. Interesting to hear about the injuries and how some of them are coming good and how close Linc was to being another Egan :(.

Glad to see the club really looking after both physical and mental in terms of the rehab process. Wonder how much Simon Hogan's experiences have played into the acceptance of the psychological side of recovery. Either way, great read and contrats again on the experience.

Go Catters

Awesome coverage and report there Cat Attack08.
Glad to see the prizes well appreciated. Interesting to hear about the injuries and how some of them are coming good and how close Linc was to being another Egan :(.

Glad to see the club really looking after both physical and mental in terms of the rehab process. Wonder how much Simon Hogan's experiences have played into the acceptance of the psychological side of recovery. Either way, great read and contrats again on the experience.

Go Catters
Cheers Daz the mental side of the recovery was really stressed by Steven said it was really important to get the guys with long term injuries right psychologically cause as much as the club can be there for them it is something that they really go through alone. It's good to see that the club learnt from Ego's situation though said that if they tried to go the operation route with Lincoln that would have pretty much ended his career, which given what Carlton just did with Kruezer makes you wonder how he will go moving forward

One other thing Steven spoke about was Wellsy and how he and his network start checking out players from about 14 onwards which I was surprised to hear I would have thought it would have been at the u/16 level goes a little way to explain why the bloke gets the results he does.
Ditto. Had a great time. Felt a bit odd as everyone seemed to know each other.

But all in a really interesting day. Had a good chat with Trav, really nice guy. The Q9 kicked him one in the calf, but he'll be fine for the weekend.

Boris reckons he's all good for the weekend.

Hocking made some interesting comments re Selwood and how hitting him is like hitting concrete! Lol.

TV reckons Blicklavs is a freak and is going to be a great player always trying to learn more.

Got a few piccies.

Can't get over how big they players are ie tall!!' Hawk is massive! Would have liked to chat to hmac but I didn't see him around.

Interesting that Chappy turned down an offer for a farewell which was a shame.

That's again for organising!
Yeah Rellik666 got the same feeling that it was like one big family where everyone knows everyone else, which makes sense I guess if the same people are sponsoring the same players each year. Liked Steven's comment about how needles bend away from Selly when they try to give him pain injections :p

Fantastic post, summarising the day CA08!

I'm just about to burst into tears, because I won an Inner Sanctum tour as well, but had to pass, because my Mum died + just couldn't get away :(

I did have a similar tour, but not the speakers, with a friend, who was head trainer in the early '90's + saw GAS in his speedos! So I should be happy with that tour LOL

+ Teriyakicat - if I'd gone today, I'd guaranteed I'd have snuck some pix of the locker room for you ;)

Did you see the boot room? I found it totally awesome!

Glad you all could enjoy it. It's a team effort, it takes a lot of generous contributions from posters to get this up every year. The organisation is the easy bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back