List Mgmt. 2015 Best 22 - Rolling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

They've both basically got the same physical attributes. They're similar athletes if not the same.

One plays midfield from defence and the other plays midfield from the forwardline. I've not seen much of their play as mids that suggests that they are particularly different.

Not sure that how the two cannot be compared.
Thank you Bruno. Nothing to do with this post but thank you for finally confirming that your old avatar was indeed The Iron Sheik.

I'll tell you what, I will be disappointed if our VFL team does not go deep into September.

I'll tell you what, I will be disappointed if our VFL team does not go deep into September.
The VFL signings have been excellent as well with Polkinghorne, Marigliani, Hardingham and Heavyside. Still needs a key forward though.

The only way Hocking is out of the side will be if he is injured. We have no one else who can run with anyone or do the defensive stuff he does.
Certainly not in the best 22 ability wise but is in the first 5 picked until someone else proves they can even come close to doing his role.

The only way Hocking is out of the side will be if he is injured. We have no one else who can run with anyone or do the defensive stuff he does.
Certainly not in the best 22 ability wise but is in the first 5 picked until someone else proves they can even come close to doing his role.
It needs to be a midfield team defensive effort. Relying on one guy is a pretty bleak look for the rest of the side. Hocking needs more carlton 2014 games and needs them more consistently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It needs to be a midfield team defensive effort. Relying on one guy is a pretty bleak look for the rest of the side. Hocking needs more carlton 2014 games and needs them more consistently.

You are right but will it happen ? For mine that is the biggest hurdle we face and the current difference between being in that 6th to 10th group and pushing up into the top 4 group. You may call it bleak but it is a reality that we can not put it together in that area most weeks.

While Hocking doesn't rack up touches, the ones he gets are usually decent. Looking back at some old matches recently and he is in involved in a surprising number of positive passages of play.

Uses the ball very well. Some would be surprised to know during his under 18 days at Eastern he was getting 30 plus possessions at plus 75% efficiency.
Once he got past 30 or so games his ball use has been very good.

You are right but will it happen ? For mine that is the biggest hurdle we face and the current difference between being in that 6th to 10th group and pushing up into the top 4 group. You may call it bleak but it is a reality that we can not put it together in that area most weeks.
Biggest problem is that he's slow, like Watson, Heppell, Goddard, Stanton, Howlett etc. and that's a lot. We really need to push him outside the best 22.

But he contributes more than a number of other slow players, even if it's not so visible.
Does he though? The only one I listed that I'd agree with is Howlett.

At the risk of setting off ww3, and not wanting to do so, I regard him as more important than Stants. Not a better footballer, more important to or team.
Disagree. Stants is pretty much the only player with the fitness required to be able to be the link man in transition. Hocking's a good tagger and his blocking inside is important but we have others capable of filling that role.

Disagree. Stants is pretty much the only player with the fitness required to be able to be the link man in transition. Hocking's a good tagger and his blocking inside is important but we have others capable of filling that role.
Don't think we do to be honest....nobody else in midfield can shut down and none seem to have inclination to block for others.

You are probably right re Stants and his link play, but my guess would be we are closer to having a replacement for him than Buddha.

Don't think we do to be honest....nobody else in midfield can shut down and none seem to have inclination to block for others.

You are probably right re Stants and his link play, but my guess would be we are closer to having a replacement for him than Buddha.
Myers and Howlett block well enough and on the rare occasion Hocking does miss, Melksham's been a fairly successful tagger.

It sure won't happen if we keep doing what we are doing. Relying on one player

Someone who has a bit of time. How many opponents did Hocking keep to under 20 possessions last year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back