List Mgmt. 2015 Best 22 - Rolling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone who has a bit of time. How many opponents did Hocking keep to under 20 possessions last year?
Wells (11), Lewis (13), Mundy* (8), Zorko (16). Mundy only played the first half, unsure who he moved onto after that.

I don't know that Hocking is the weakest link. As ant555 has been saying he is actually a good inside midfielder in his own right.

I think that Hocking's defence is better than Stanton's attack for example. His work in close is probably as good as Goddards. He's better than Howlett on the ball.

It all comes down to the poison that is a plodding core of senior players with average skills. There is no name that we'd be comfortable dropping (because of the quality of character, style of performance, etc) but in reality they'll hold us back for a long time because the next generation wont get the chances its needs. The idea that the younger players simply displace the senior players on VFL performances is a bit of a fallacy. The transition is almost always forced.

I don't know that Hocking is the weakest link. As ant555 has been saying he is actually a good inside midfielder in his own right.

I think that Hocking's defence is better than Stanton's attack for example. His work in close is probably as good as Goddards. He's better than Howlett on the ball.

It all comes down to the poison that is a plodding core of senior players with average skills. There is no name that we'd be comfortable dropping (because of the quality of character, style of performance, etc) but in reality they'll hold us back for a long time because the next generation wont get the chances its needs. The idea that the younger players simply displace the senior players on VFL performances is a bit of a fallacy. The transition is almost always forced.
It becomes something that is forced when the overall quality of the side gets to this sort of level.
The balance of our midfield is getting close to perfect in my eyes. If you accept the idea that Stanton's fitness based link up play is crucial and Hocking's defensive play is crucial then we are almost done. Perhaps getting the mix right on match day is the key? Obviously we have quite a few who now are going to be running through the midfield and as such we need to make sure there is enough speed in there at any one time. It seems to me that as long as we have combinations like Colyer + Zaka or Cooney + Zach in there at all times then we are sorted. If everyone plays their role well then it looks good on paper to have a balance like you would get with say;
Zaka, Stanton, Colyer,
TBC, Hocking, Watson
Then;
Cooney, Myers, Zach
TBC, Heppell, Goddard

Do any (good) teams play without a negating/tagging player?
Langford tags for Hawthorn
McGlynn tags for Sydney
Kane Cornes tags for Port
Crowley tags for Fremantle
Guthrie tags for Geelong
Hocking tags for Essendon

6 of the top 8 teams have regular taggers.

Myers and Howlett block well enough and on the rare occasion Hocking does miss, Melksham's been a fairly successful tagger.

No way. Howlett has said himself he is ordinary at it and Myers does a bit of center bounce blocking but not a lot.
Melksham had 1 good game as a tagger.
No one is close to Hocking at it and secondly Hocking is not quick but he is actually faster than Stanton, Myers, Jobe, Goddard, Howlett and several others.
Have seen it at training when they are doing the sprint work and have seen it in games when he is fully fit.

Not sure why we need to be pushing our best team player out of the side when our lack of team work is a major reason we are not a top 4 side.

Another thing that should be remembered when dissing the perceived weakest in our midfield, is that as the whole midfield gets stronger as a unit, the more the ball gets shared around evenly. Stanton doesn't get as much ball as he used to because we have a host of extra options now. Same goes for Hocking who's role has become even more defensive with the rise of Heppell and Myers etc.
At the end of the day, how much of a midfield issue do we really have now? If Carlisle had clicked early in the season we would have been top four beyond any shade of doubt.
But it is the off season so we might as well go jumping at shadows!

B: Gwilt Hooker Baguely
HB: Hibberd Hurley Dempsey
C: Godard Watson Zaka
HF: Cooney Carlisle Z.Merret
F: Giles Daniher Winderlich

R: Bellchambers Hocking Heppell

I: Myers Stanton Chapman Laverde

Laverde is just a hunch of course.

Heaps of flexibility in that side too with Howlett as very good depth not to mention Ambrose, Fletch and many young kids looking to establish them selves.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Gwilt Hooker Baguely
C: Godard Watson Zaka
HF: Cooney Carlisle Z.Merret
F: Giles Daniher Winderlich

R: Bellchambers Hocking Heppell

I: Myers Stanton Chapman Laverde

Laverde is just a hunch of course.
Fletch>Gwilt

FF: Winderlich - Daniher - Chapman
HF: Cooney - Carlisle - Laverde
C: Goddard - Heppell - Zaharakis
R: Melksham - Bellchambers - Watson
HB: Gwilt - Hurley - Hibberd
FB: Baguley - Hooker - Fletcher
I/C: Z.Merrett - Myers - Stanton
S: Dempsey

I'll have a go.

FB: Baguley – Hooker – Fletcher

HB: Hibberd – Hurley – Dempsey

C: Stanton – Heppell – Colyer

HF: Goddard– Carlsile – Cooney

FF: Chapman – Daniher – Winderlich

R: Bellchambers – Watson – Zaharakis

IC: Gwilt – Z.Merrett – Myers Sub: Melksham

Emg: Hocking, Gleeson, Howlett

No third tall. I am a big Ambrose fan but looking at our side I’d much rather entrust Goddard, Winders, Watson and Cooney to be our 3rd and 4th marking targets. This means backing in Myers and Melksham to do a lot of the grunt work around the stoppages.

Permanent wingman. Stanton does his best work on the outside tirelessly running into space and would be rich man’s version of Sam Gibson from North. Colyer would benefit from having a clear role and would have no trouble keeping up with the likes of Lewis Jetta and Brad Hill.

Rotation of older players

Fletcher > Gleeson/Ashby/Dalgliesh/Edwards

Chapman > Howlett/J.Merrett/Fantasia

Winderlich > Ambrose/Giles

Now I'm going to prefix this by saying what a great servant of the club Stanton has been. But if we are to win finals, then someone has to be keeping him out of the side.

B: baguley Hurley Gwilt
Hb: Dempsey Hooker Hibberd
C: Zaharakis Watson Colyer
HF: Chapman Daniher Cooney
F: Ambrose Carlisle Winderlich
R: Giles Heppell Myers
Int: Z.Merrett, Bellchambers, Hocking Gleeson

I'll have a go.

FB: Baguley – Hooker – Fletcher

HB: Hibberd – Hurley – Dempsey

C: Stanton – Heppell – Colyer

HF: Goddard– Carlsile – Cooney

FF: Chapman – Daniher – Winderlich

R: Bellchambers – Watson – Zaharakis

IC: Gwilt – Z.Merrett – Myers Sub: Melksham

Emg: Hocking, Gleeson, Howlett

No third tall. I am a big Ambrose fan but looking at our side I’d much rather entrust Goddard, Winders, Watson and Cooney to be our 3rd and 4th marking targets. This means backing in Myers and Melksham to do a lot of the grunt work around the stoppages.

Permanent wingman. Stanton does his best work on the outside tirelessly running into space and would be rich man’s version of Sam Gibson from North. Colyer would benefit from having a clear role and would have no trouble keeping up with the likes of Lewis Jetta and Brad Hill.

Rotation of older players

Fletcher > Gleeson/Ashby/Dalgliesh/Edwards

Chapman > Howlett/J.Merrett/Fantasia

Winderlich > Ambrose/Giles
My best 22 and ideas are very similar to yours, great minds think alike?

Now I'm going to prefix this by saying what a great servant of the club Stanton has been. But if we are to win finals, then someone has to be keeping him out of the side.

That's sure to be a popular post.

Starting 22:
FB: Fletcher Hooker Baugley
C: Stanton Watson Colyer
HF: Cooney Daniher Goddard
FF: Winderlich Carlisle Chapman
Fol: Bellchambers Heppell Zaharakis
Int: Myers Zerrett Hocking
Sub: Melksham

Starting 22:
Defence:
Just the normal lineup, I doubt it will change much as the season progresses.

Midfield: Deploy Colyer and Stants as our starting wingers with Cooney and Zerrett rotating through. Core midfield of Jobe, Heppell and Zacka stays the same and TBC in the ruck.

Attack: Tall pairing of JD + Carlisle with Licka and Chappy waiting at their feet. Hope that Goddard can fill the 3rd tall fwd role more effectively than Ambrose (goal, lead and pressure wise). Cooney to rotate through the mids.

Bench: Hocking will be used as the tagger, whilst Myers helps with midfield rotations. Zerrett to give the starting wingers a rest and be a creative HFF. Melksham to come on and give us forward drive late in the game.

Reserves:
Defence:
Ashby, Gleeson, Edwards and Dalgleish to all be competing for Dempsey's spot (don't see Hibberd being displaced by any of them). Rotate Fletch, Gwilt and possibly Steinberg + Pears.

Midfield: Kavanagh, Howlett and Hams the most likely of the inside mids in our reserves to get a chance to prove themselves worthy of being selected in the starting 22. Jerrett and Laverde to be on hold if Stants or Colyer have form lapses. Hopefully Giles is ripping it up in the VFL to make TBC work harder to keep his spot.

Attack: I don't see either of Pears or Mckernan displacing JD or Carlisle, whilst Ambrose or possibly Langford could be called upon if Goddard isn't performing as a 3rd tall fwd (obviously Goddard will still retain his place in the side, just in different position). Laverde, Jerrett and Fantasia to come in when Chappy and Licka need a rest or their form drops off.

I understand your sentiments table tennis but you don't replace an enduance athlete with a half back flanker.

I understand your sentiments table tennis but you don't replace an enduance athlete with a half back flanker.

You can if they aren't adding anything. Stantons final was indefensible. This day and age, they are all endurance athletes.

Tell me, who is the Brent Stanton at Hawthorn, Sydney & Fremantle

You can if they aren't adding anything. Stantons final was indefensible. This day and age, they are all endurance athletes.

Tell me, who is the Brent Stanton at Hawthorn, Sydney & Fremantle

Hawthorn (Brad Hill, Isaac Smith)
Sydney (Kieran Jack, Dan Hannebury)
Fremantle (Daniel Pearce, Stephen Hill)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back