FB: Baguley Hooker Fletcher
HB: Goddard Carlisle Hibberd
C: Zaka Watson Myers
HF: Z Merrett Hurley Ambrose
FF: J Merrett Daniher Chappy
R: TBell Heppell Hocking
Int: Coyler Gleeson Pears
Sub: Winderlich

Eeek. Going to be very very hard to get spots in that team next year...

The 'weakest' spots will be J Merrett and Pears. But wanted an extra 'tall' to cover injury and also on have one ruck.. so if TBell goes down, then Daniher goes into the ruck, Carlisle goes forward and Pears goes to the backline.

J Merrett will be holding out Stanton, Edwards, Aylett, Fantasia, EKav, Dalgleish, NOB, Ashby and others..

that team looks worse on paper than the team that got beat on the weekend.
if that's how we line up, assuming we lose Ryder and Dempsey, i can see us going backwards next year.

OK so revision two:
*I'm assuming Dempsey and Ryder leave and Gleeson stays*

FB: Baguley Hooker Fletcher
HB: Goddard Carlisle Hibberd
C: Zaka Watson Myers
HF: Z Merrett Hurley Ambrose
FF: J Merrett Daniher Chappy
R: TBell Heppell Hocking
Int: Coyler Gleeson Pears
Sub: Winderlich

Eeek. Going to be very very hard to get spots in that team next year...

The 'weakest' spots will be J Merrett and Pears. But wanted an extra 'tall' to cover injury and also on have one ruck.. so if TBell goes down, then Daniher goes into the ruck, Carlisle goes forward and Pears goes to the backline.

J Merrett will be holding out Stanton, Edwards, Aylett, Fantasia, EKav, Dalgleish, NOB, Ashby and others..

You left out Rockliff. ;)

that team looks worse on paper than the team that got beat on the weekend.
if that's how we line up, assuming we lose Ryder and Dempsey, i can see us going backwards next year.
Its not my fault Ryder wants to leave (apparently).

Also.. we will not go backwards next year.

You left out Rockliff. ;)
All jokes aside though.. IF dempsey and Ryder leave.. then very good chance that we get a top 5 pick. more than likely (if history shows anything) that player will be almost 'ready made' especially if we get a midfielder.

Boyd, Kelly, Billings, Bont, Kolo, Aish, mcDonald, Sheed all played significant matches this year.

God I hate off-season.

FB: Bags-Hooker-Fletch
HB: pig-hurls-gleeson
C: BJ-Watson-Colyer
HF: Zaka-Carlisle-Zerrett
FF: Chappy-Daniherp-Winders
R:T-bell-Myers-Heppell
Int- jerrett-melksham-hocking
Sub-Edwards

think that would be our best starting team interchange and sub not so sure tho

Trade- Stanton, Ryder, Dempsey get some good draft picks and/or good players

if we got mitch clark then the team will look a lot stronger

FB: Bags-Hooker-Carlisle
HB: Pig-hurls-Fletch
C: BJ-Watson-Colyer
HF: Zaka-Clark-Zerrett
FF: Chappy-Daniherp-Winders
R:T-bell-Myers-Heppell
Int- Jerrett-Gleeson-hocking
Sub-Edwards

that backline will go by the name team * s**t up

Lets be Honest Stantons gonna play 18-20 games next year whether people like it or not. I have full confidence in him that he will be able to turnaround a half avg/disappointing year really rebound as a typical wingman who just keeps going both ways all night in a similar mould to Ebert. You never know he probably carried an injury all year and was played out of position.

Is Gleeson a chance to move on? Hes been played every week hes been available thus hes pretty much considered a best 22 player and with another off season of body development he most certainly will be a best 18 player IMO.

Lets be Honest Stantons gonna play 18-20 games next year whether people like it or not. I have full confidence in him that he will be able to turnaround a half avg/disappointing year really rebound as a typical wingman who just keeps going both ways all night in a similar mould to Ebert. You never know he probably carried an injury all year and was played out of position.

Is Gleeson a chance to move on? Hes been played every week hes been available thus hes pretty much considered a best 22 player and with another off season of body development he most certainly will be a best 18 player IMO.
OK, then which midfielder misses out?

Baguley Hooker Fletcher
Hibberd Hurley Gleeson
Zaharakis Watson Colyer
Goddard Daniher Z Merrett
Chapman Carlisle Bellchambers
Ryder Heppell Hocking
Myers J Merrett Kommer Stanton

I think most are agreeing that, without regard for 'positions' which are mainly irrelevant anyway..

Our top 17 players are looking pretty set:
Talls: Hooker, Carlisle, Fletcher, Daniher, Ryder (TBell if he goes)
HB's: Baguley, Hibberd
Mid's: Zaka, Watson, Goddard, Z Merrett, Gleeson, Heppell, Colyer, Hocking, Myers
HF: Chappy

Then you have 5 spots to fill with:
Ambrose, Pears, TBell (if Ryder stays), J Merrett, Dempsey, Winderlich, Stanton, Kommer, Ashby, Aylett, Edwards, Dalgleish, NOB, Melksham, Browne, Fantasia, Howlett

Going to be hard to get games next year.. that is all I can say.

Yes I know it's early but I figure we could all post them now then update as delistings/FA/trades/drafts happen. Good idea? Bad? Let's find out. So pick your 22 based on the list now, not leaving spots for draftees or expected FA's.

B: Fletcher, Hooker, Baguley
HB: Winderlich/Dempsey, Hurley, Hibberd
C: Myers, Goddard, Colyer
HF: Ambrose, Carlisle, Zaharakis
F: Chapman, Daniher, Zerrett
R: Ryder, Watson, Heppell

Int: Hocking, Stanton, Bellchambers, Dempsey/Howlett

Automatic selections: Hooker, Baguley, Winderlich (if he plays on), Hurley, Hibberd, Myers, Goddard, Colyer, Carlisle, Chap, Daniher, Zerrett, Ryder, Watson, Heppell, Hocking

I don't think the players I've bolded are clear best 22, and the ones I've underlined are probably in their final year for 2015. Our midfield got run over in the second half of the final, only one of Hocking or Howlett can play in the same side. Stanton is an athlete who has never stood up when tagged or in big games, we should trade him along with Melksham, who unfortunately hasn't come along as expected. Midfield quality is not deep enough to challenge for a flag and we need to trade accordingly. Defense is our strength, and another year into Daniher/Carlisle/Ambrose will hopefully get the forward line functioning better.

FB: Z. Merrett Z. Merrett Z. Merrett
HB: Z. Merrett Z. Merrett Z. Merrett
C: Z. Merrett Z. Merrett Z. Merrett
HF: Z. Merrett Z. Merrett Z. Merrett
FF: Z. Merrett Z. Merrett Z. Merrett
FOLL: Z. Merrett Z. Merrett Z. Merrett
I/C: Z. Merrett Z. Merrett Z. Merrett D. Heppell

Hooker, Hurley, Hibberd, Heppell, Watson, Goddard, Carlisle, Daniher, Baguley, Chapman, Ryder(if he stays) and Zaharakis are the only locks in the best team at this stage.

Hooker, Hurley, Hibberd, Heppell, Watson, Goddard, Carlisle, Daniher, Baguley, Chapman, Ryder(if he stays) and Zaharakis are the only locks in the best team at this stage.
You think Z Merrett is going to go backwards rather than forwards?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Hocking needs to come under serious heat next year.

Sydney, Hawks and Geel along with Port and North all make up the top 6 sides and really dont tag heavy at all and certainly not every week. Id be looking to further advance and give more opportunity to guys like Myers, Melksham, Zaharakis, Z.Merrett, J.Merrett and Kavanagh. All these guys give a bit more flexability and speed around the pill.

Similar to Okeefe at Sydney they certainly didnt go backwards by giving unknowns like Lloyd, Cunningham, Rohan ect more of a run

Langford, Crowley and McGlynn tag on a regular basis, and then blokes like Guthrie, Cornes and MacMillan all get run with roles too

Langford hasnt played half the year. Mcmillian hasnt played all year.

Crowley was one I excluded.

Mcglynns played his own game thus a raise in possessions and goals.

None of them compare to Hocking as someone u can pencil in, him going to the best opposition player that doesn't happen with guthrie, langford, mcglynn every week. Week in week out. Plus all of them have speed.

I reckon I could count on 3 fingers the roles mcglynns done this year

I think Hocking needs to come under serious heat next year.

Sydney, Hawks and Geel along with Port and North all make up the top 6 sides and really dont tag heavy at all and certainly not every week. Id be looking to further advance and give more opportunity to guys like Myers, Melksham, Zaharakis, Z.Merrett, J.Merrett and Kavanagh. All these guys give a bit more flexability and speed around the pill.

Similar to Okeefe at Sydney they certainly didnt go backwards by giving unknowns like Lloyd, Cunningham, Rohan ect more of a run

This post is wrong - Sydney use McGlynn and Bird, Hawthorn use Shields and Langford, Geelong use Guthrie, Power have the indomitable Cornes, Freo have Crowley - North don't have a defined tagger.

Hocking's issue is poor use - Has spend too much time tagging half forwards or being a defensive forward - He needs to spend his time in the midfield.

His form too could drop and he would be in danger to keep his spot, once again he is not someone I expect to miss many games but isn't an automatic inclusion every week like the others, in my opinion.

His form too could drop and he would be in danger to keep his spot, once again he is not someone I expect to miss many games but isn't an automatic inclusion every week like the others, in my opinion.
The last time Myers wasn't picked when fit was 2010.

I see the chances of him being dropped as minimal to non-existent.

The last time Myers wasn't picked when fit was 2010.

I see the chances of him being dropped as minimal to non-existent.

I would like to think next year will be a much better team than we have had the past 4 or 5 seasons with competition for spots cut throat. I just think he has the tendencies to have a few quiet patches during seasons and hopefully we are in a position where if this happens to players we have ready made replacements beating the door down to take there chance.

Not a chance. Quality player and is seriously important. Selected each week he is fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back