Strategy 2015 best side

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't be surprised if we play one of Hmac/Simpsons as first ruck (whichever isn't injured at the time!), being backed up by Blicavs and Walker. Blicavs could play across half back when not rucking, and Walker as the third tall forward. When first ruck needs a rest they slot down forward and Walker goes in to the ruck.

Thus a forward line something like

HF: Murdoch Hawkins Walker
FF: Bartel Clark McCarthy

If we want some additional speed/forward pressure in the forward line, move Bartel into a defensive role and put Motlop inside 50. Motlop/Murdoch/McCarthy would make a great crumbing combo too.
Hmm forgot Vardy. If fit he'd probably take the Walker role as forward/backup ruck.

the issue with McIntosh is that he'll be playing good solid footy, hold down the no.1 rucking spot but at some point into the season, he's going to break down again because his body just doesn't seem capable of getting through this game. That then means we play another ruckman, which in turn means our midfielders have to adjust to try and work out this ruckman strengths & weaknesses all over again.
This can take months to finally get in synch.

What we'd give for just one durable ruck who could play 22 games as those SA teams and most other clubs are fortunate to work with.

Didn't know Sewell was a tall defender. you wouldn't drop one of the best key position stoppers in the league who was nearly All Australian. That's madness. Playin 3 talls hasn't killed us once. Playing Kelly, Mackie and Bartel on quick smalls has and that is what needs to change.
It was an illustration of the adage "horses for courses".
I would've dropped Lonergan against certain teams (if we'd landed Frawley). Lonergan now stays and Rivers gets dropped against certain teams.

It was an illustration of the adage "horses for courses".
I would've dropped Lonergan against certain teams (if we'd landed Frawley). Lonergan now stays and Rivers gets dropped against certain teams.

Don't think it shouldn't happen, and for the last 2 years they should have rested veterans - specifically the veterans in the backline - a lot more. Let's just say I'm not quite convinced they're going to start doing that.

the issue with McIntosh is that he'll be playing good solid footy, hold down the no.1 rucking spot but at some point into the season, he's going to break down again because his body just doesn't seem capable of getting through this game. That then means we play another ruckman, which in turn means our midfielders have to adjust to try and work out this ruckman strengths & weaknesses all over again.
This can take months to finally get in synch.

What we'd give for just one durable ruck who could play 22 games as those SA teams and most other clubs are fortunate to work with.
We had one we give him the flick.
AFL+Rd+2+Hawks+v+Cats+dsXgPJmdOn9m.jpg
AFL+Rd+14+Cats+v+Kangaroos+oX9-QkGnNtCm.jpg

Last edited:
Don't think it shouldn't happen, and for the last 2 years they should have rested veterans - specifically the veterans in the backline - a lot more. Let's just say I'm not quite convinced they're going to start doing that.
I'm almost certain it won't happen. It's an opinion, not a prediction.

Couldn't agree more on resting the veterans btw.

I think there's room for optimisms next year,to me Chris has looked at times to be coaching with one eye on his job and particularly in team selection there have been opportunities missed IMO to one rest a few old legs and have a look at what the younger blokes have to offer EVEN IF HIS INTENTION WAS TO PLAY EXPERIENCE OVER YOUTH COME FINALS( blood cap locks )now with his job secured through to the end of 2017 we should see hopefully a more aggressive transition faze,well that's what I'm hoping for anyway.

This is the team I'd hope for

B Bews Lonergan Rivers
HB Varcoe Taylor Thurlow
C Guthrie Caddy Duncan
HF Brown Walker Motlop
FF McCarthy Hawkins Bartel
R HMac Selwood Johnson
I Clark GHS Christensen sub Stokes

• golden child Blicavs can learn to defend in the VFL
  • Clark to get most of the second ruck duties with Walker to do about 15%
  • I think Brown is a season ahead of Kersten and I'd have the 3 tall forwards mostly for development (Brown to possibly move back)
  • I'd be happy to swap Murdoch and Bartel
  • Also not a big fan of the 3 tall backs, would swap Blicavs/Brown/Hamling for Lonergan if he drops off
  • I would have preferably only 5-6 of the 9 29yo+ players in the team at once

This is the team I'd hope for

B Bews Lonergan Rivers
HB Varcoe Taylor Thurlow
C Guthrie Caddy Duncan
HF Brown Walker Motlop
FF McCarthy Hawkins Bartel
R HMac Selwood Johnson
I Clark GHS Christensen sub Stokes

• golden child Blicavs can learn to defend in the VFL
  • Clark to get most of the second ruck duties with Walker to do about 15%
  • I think Brown is a season ahead of Kersten and I'd have the 3 tall forwards mostly for development (Brown to possibly move back)
  • I'd be happy to swap Murdoch and Bartel
  • Also not a big fan of the 3 tall backs, would swap Blicavs/Brown/Hamling for Lonergan if he drops off
  • I would have preferably only 5-6 of the 9 29yo+ players in the team at once
Enright 4th in this years Carji ?

Enright 4th in this years Carji ?
And Johnson was 17th or something stupid!

I would look to play Johnson deep forward, pushing up the ground at times. We need the likes of Caddy, Christensen, Duncan, Guthrie and Horlin-Smith to take charge of the midfield, time for Bartel, Kelly and Johnson to play their footy in support roles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so what, he is the oldest guy in an old backline

should have retired this year but will be handy depth

You've raised my eyebrow. Why would we use Brown, yet drop a veteran that played better all season than a couple other vets you've left in the side?

Kelly was ok early, terrible from about round 20. Mackie was the exact same, couldn't finish the year. Enright was ok early, got better as the year went on

howd varcoe go in the first half of the season?

i hope the players are pretty good over the entire season and not just pick and choose

FB Bews, Lonergan, Rivers
HB Thurlow, Taylor, Enright
C Motlop, Horlin-Smith, Murdoch
HF Bartel, Walker, Johnson
FF Clark, Hawkins, Stokes
Foll HMac, Caddy, Selwood
Inter Hartman, Mackie, Blicav, Christensen
Emerg Kersten, Kelly, Kolojashnij

Gu
FB Bews, Lonergan, Rivers
HB Thurlow, Taylor, Enright
C Motlop, Horlin-Smith, Murdoch
HF Bartel, Walker, Johnson
FF Clark, Hawkins, Stokes
Foll HMac, Caddy, Selwood
Inter Hartman, Mackie, Blicav, Christensen
Emerg Kersten, Kelly, Kolojashnij
Guthrie should be in there... Replace Thurlow for Guthrie. Thurlow instead of Hartman.

Varcoe isnt a list clogger. To say that is just ignorant. Go watch the last 6 games from this season.
I've seen them along with all the others and for a 26 year old with 130 odd games under his belt they should be his fair and average game standard by now, sadly they're not and sadder still some here except that form from him as good and justification to keep him, not me I'd move him on.

I've seen them along with all the others and for a 26 year old with 130 odd games under his belt they should be his fair and average game standard by now, sadly they're not and sadder still some here except that form from him as good and justification to keep him, not me I'd move him on.

ignorant comment. Has played 138 games and kicked 130 goals. And spent a lot of time on half back the last couple of years. Has played in 2 premierships. This is not a list clogger. Its just not. To sit here and so harshly judge a player who has played a LOT of really really good footy is just so dumb and ignorant. Is he Joel Selwood? nope. But he sure as * isnt a list clogger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back