2015 Coaching structure

Remove this Banner Ad

There has been some talk of late that we are looking to beef up our coaching department heading into next season and I'm interested in hearing some thoughts about the way we'll structure up for next year.

Season 2014 saw us with the following coaching structure:

Senior Coach: Mick Malthouse
Director of Coaching & Development: Robert Wiley
Assistant Coach - Midfield: Dean Laidley
Assistant Coach - Back Line: John Barker
Assistant Coach - Forward Line: Brad Green
Development Coach: Matthew Capuano
Development Coach: Michael Osborne
VFL & Development Coach: Luke Webster

Who stays? Who goes?

Who would you like to see come to the club and contribute in a coaching capacity?

There has been some talk of late that we are looking to beef up our coaching department heading into next season and I'm interested in hearing some thoughts about the way we'll structure up for next year.

Who stays? Who goes?

Who would you like to see come to the club and contribute in a coaching capacity?

Had my hopes pinned on Lingy. Hopes were dashed when he broadcast 'The Decision' and announced he would continue to 'take his talents to the Docklands'.

Sorry J, will come back with a serious answer later.

I was told at the start of the year by someone very close to Luke Webster that he will be returning back to WA after this season as Mick wants to bring in his own VFL coach plus his wife wants to return home.

Not on the list, but I wouldnt be surprised if Buttifant goes....(purely based on rumour and speculation).

Would love Lenny Hayes but there's talk that he is Richmond bound.

Perfect fit. He would have the exact experience to counsel the Tigers list about being stuck at a perpetually underperforming club!

Ball would be or at least could be, a terrific pick-up.

Pretty sure he deferred his first year of senior footy to do his VCE and got 99.5 or some ludicrous score, so he's no dill.

Total pro on the track, previous history with MM................reckon he'd be a ripper addition.

Pretty sure he deferred his first year of senior footy to do his VCE and got 99.5 or some ludicrous score, so he's no dill.

Total pro on the track, previous history with MM................reckon he'd be a ripper addition.

get the feeling he may have bigger things on the horizon than becoming an assistant coach.

We know MM isn't afraid to surround himself with untried coaches who have recently hung up the boots.

Don't be surprised to see the same occur again this year. Plenty of potentially good options including Ball, Maxwell, Hayes and Giansiracusa. There are a whole host of others who may be interested in entering the coaching arena, too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who stays? Who goes?

Senior Coach: Mick Malthouse (STAYS)
Director of Coaching & Development: Robert Wiley (JURY's OUT)
Assistant Coach - Midfield: Dean Laidley (STAYS)
Assistant Coach - Back Line: John Barker (GOES)
Assistant Coach - Forward Line: Brad Green (GOES)
Development Coach: Matthew Capuano (GOES)
Development Coach: Michael Osborne (GOES)
VFL & Development Coach: Luke Webster (JURY's OUT)

The big issue for me is that apart from Malthouse & Laidley, we don't have enough 'mongrel' on the coaching panel. When a coach looks you in the eye and asks you to run through a brick wall for him, you will follow that instruction without fear or favour if it comes from someone you know did the same in their playing career. They inspire you to greater heights.

Imagine if we had Jono Brown as our forward coach, the players would be mega-desperate at the contest as well as willing themselves to apply immense defensive pressure. They'd also stick up more for the guys like Murphy getting whacked near the play.

Last edited:

I think He finished high school the same year as Juddy, he didn't play his first year of senior footy because of injuries rather than deferring.
But he was some impressive lad, in his last year of high school, he was the captain of the cricket team, played footy for Xavier first 18s and getting a 98.8 in the end of year exams. Our former skipper wasn't too shabby himself, scoring a 96.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back