No Oppo Supporters 2016 General AFL Discussion Part 2 (Sydney Posters Only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole free agency player movement thing is not exactly working out is it?

I reckon get rid of the compensation, just like Adelaide with Danger and potentially Brisbane with Leuy, make the clubs either choose not to match and get zero in return or to match the offer and make the player and their 'preferred' club trade for a 'fair' compensation. This is the problem with the compensation model, for me its flawed because it's offering an incentive not match and gives the player and his preferred club far to much negotiating power.

Melbourne are prepared to trade Jimmy Toumpas to Port Adelaide for pick #29

Port are just waiting until something happens regarding Charlie Dixon before accepting.

Hahahahaha what's this? A fan writing to the Lion's recruitment department?

Yeah DT talk shared it on facebook

Nice they wrote back

Any tall people here want to write to Sydney about ruckwork

Pick 4 just 3 years ago..

What a waste

Waste for Melbourne.

Believe he will turn it around at Port. Was way too good at U18 level to be the player he is now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No first round picks for 2 years in a row, but off set by Dangerfield and Henderson. The risks are clear but worth it.

Now they have to complete the Zac Smith trade with a 3rd Round Pick only as they can't trade another of their picks from next years draft

No first round picks for 2 years in a row, but off set by Dangerfield and Henderson. The risks are clear but worth it.

Now they have to complete the Zac Smith trade with a 3rd Round Pick only as they can't trade another of their picks from next years draft

Can they get anything for Josh Walker if he goes to Brisbane?

Regarding the Cats i think they will be one of the more interesting teams in 2016 complete unknown.

Just a theoretical would you preferred to have Traded for Franklin and give him a 5-6yr deal or get him for nothing but give him the current deal to stop Hawthorn from matching.

I imagine Hawthorn would of asked for a top 10 pick + 2nd rounder and a player.

Me personally i would of been happier to give Hawthorn what Geelong gave to Adelaide and keep Franklin around that 6 yr 800k figure.

Just a theoretical would you preferred to have Traded for Franklin and give him a 5-6yr deal or get him for nothing but give him the current deal to stop Hawthorn from matching.

I imagine Hawthorn would of asked for a top 10 pick + 2nd rounder and a player.

Me personally i would of been happier to give Hawthorn what Geelong gave to Adelaide and keep Franklin around that 6 yr 800k figure.

The problem with that idea is that both Hawthorn and GWS were happy to go to 6 years and over $1 million+ and more a season (I think $1.4mil) so while the thinking is a good one we would of been paying more per year over a shorter time, had to have traded even more players to fit him in and get a pick in the Top 10.

So while yes I would of traded under the terms you proposed, in practise we would of given up way more to do such a trade.

The problem with that idea is that both Hawthorn and GWS were happy to go to 6 years and over $1 million+ and more a season (I think $1.4mil) so while the thinking is a good one we would of been paying more per year over a shorter time, had to have traded even more players to fit him in and get a pick in the Top 10.

So while yes I would of traded under the terms you proposed, in practise we would of given up way more to do such a trade.

Yer its just what happened after has completely ****ed us over going forward mostly our fault with list decisions but what the AFL have done is really push us back for more than 2 years.

Was it worth getting Franklin and then getting sanctioned?

Yer its just what happened after has completely stuffed us over going forward mostly our fault with list decisions but what the AFL have done is really push us back for more than 2 years.

Who knows? The AFL may have eventually found a reason to sanction us anyways, weren't they already on edge after the Tippett deal?

Yer its just what happened after has completely stuffed us over going forward mostly our fault with list decisions but what the AFL have done is really push us back for more than 2 years.

From a business point of view so far yes. Record memberships, other income streams and keeps the focus on the club at the expense of GWS which was the other side of the coin. We need to maintain being the number 1 side in Sydney. Market is too fickle and unforgiving not to.

The medical drama throws a spanner in the works of course.

If the side had turned up in 2014 and actually played the game and won it it would have been a resounding yes.

The sanctions were our own fault. We should have fought them. Can't blame them on Franklin. It was dumb knowing what we know now. Should have gone nuclear at the time with the Fitz phone call and made it a huge issue.

But 2014 and the sanctions are gone now. We live with what we have but I am sure the bean counters are still saying good move.

From a business point of view so far yes. Record memberships, other income streams and keeps the focus on the club at the expense of GWS which was the other side of the coin. We need to maintain being the number 1 side in Sydney. Market is too fickle and unforgiving not to.

The medical drama throws a spanner in the works of course.

If the side had turned up in 2014 and actually played the game and won it it would have been a resounding yes.

The sanctions were our own fault. We should have fought them. Can't blame them on Franklin. It was dumb knowing what we know now. Should have gone nuclear at the time with the Fitz phone call and made it a huge issue.

But 2014 and the sanctions are gone now. We live with what we have but I am sure the bean counters are still saying good move.

Reason why i say this is Franklin is 28 he probably has 2-3 elite seasons left in him before natural decline happens, are we going to be in a position as a whole team to benefit from Franklin?

Reason why i say this is Franklin is 28 he probably has 2-3 elite seasons left in him before natural decline happens, are we going to be in a position as a whole team to benefit from Franklin?

I get it but you can only judge a deal on the basis of the facts as they are at this point in time. And right now he basically carried the team in a number of games and is an overwhelming success apart from the recent medical stuff.

I agree with what you are saying but we really have to wait until 2020 and have a review.

The outer years were always looking foolish but you cannot judge the impact just yet. It may be worse than I (and you I think) fear or it may be a lot better and relatively benign. Just too much water to flow yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back