Review 2015 Grand Final: Box Hill Hawks v Williamstown Seagulls, 27 September 2015, 3.00pm @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Mees always towels up our rucks, he has been doing it for the last few years. I don't know what Monkey teaches or attempts to teach our guys. Except for Lakey, none of our big guys are much good with their body on body work.

Lakey to coach after retirement ?

I really hope the laxadaisical action (ie yawn another ressies grand final) is just that and not a window to a squad including the seniors just about to fade out through not lasting the season. Hope not

Article on AFL website quotes Marco Bello saying that Langford, Ceglar, Anderson, Litherland and Simpkin did their chances no harm for playing the AFL Grand Final.... what?? Pretty sure they all ruled themselves out comprehensively. Langford butchered it (apparently stared according to AFL website), Ceglar was useless and only one the hitouts due to a height advantage, and most went to the opposition, Anderson tried hard but couldn't get into the game enough, Litherland was poor defensively and butchered it on the way out, yet we'd want him in to play on LeCrae? Simpkin has been getting 30 touches every week without getting a game, and this week he was his worst for a while.

Probably just wants to keep a positive vibe around the club in a reasonably important week.

Mees always towels up our rucks, he has been doing it for the last few years. I don't know what Monkey teaches or attempts to teach our guys. Except for Lakey, none of our big guys are much good with their body on body work.
I think the point about Monkhurst is well taken. No one can say that our ruck have improved significantly over Monkey era. We keep going after blokes who can't get off the ground, yet he doesn't seem to be able to teach them anything. Whenever I watch him at training, he just leans on them with his 140kg frame and they can't do anything. Time for a change.

I think the point about Monkhurst is well taken. No one can say that our ruck have improved significantly over Monkey era. We keep going after blokes who can't get off the ground, yet he doesn't seem to be able to teach them anything. Whenever I watch him at training, he just leans on them with his 140kg frame and they can't do anything. Time for a change.

You're talking about the ruckmen who have helped us into a 4th consecutive Grand Final?
And the ruck coach who works with them?

I would say Damian Monkhorst has done a pretty damn good job with them!

;)

You're talking about the ruckmen who have helped us into a 4th consecutive Grand Final?
And the ruck coach who works with them?

I would say Damian Monkhorst has done a pretty damn good job with them!

;)
If you saw Mitch's presser, even he said he'd be roving to Nic Nat on the weekend. Our rucks are not game breakers and Monkey has just kept them honest, nothing more. I doubt anyone would put our ruckmen in the top 10 players in our side.

If you saw Mitch's presser, even he said he'd be roving to Nic Nat on the weekend. Our rucks are not game breakers and Monkey has just kept them honest, nothing more. I doubt anyone would put our ruckmen in the top 10 players in our side.

Yes, I get that, but they've proved that they can get the job done.

If you look at all our twelve Premiership teams over the years, only Don Scott was above average, and even Scotty just thumped the ball forward.

Our ruckmen contest, compete and never give the opposition an easy run, that's all that is required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What did others think of Willsmore game ?
At the ground i thought he was really disappointing to the extent that i would delist him. But having watched the replay he was one of our better players...which isnt saying much.

Cant see how he gets a game while clarkson is coach. No physical presence at all. A good kick also kicks at least 1 of his 2 shots too.

Any idea while the willy 2s boys in the crowd booed him?

I don't see where Will fits with Hawthorn moving forward. Seems to be little more than a flanker and I'm not sure that the club knows the best position for him.

I thought his game was average.

The only positive I could come up with is I was more disappointed in some others.
Agree. I dont rate willsmore and didnt rate his GF game but he did do a bit more than i had recalled.

In theory he is a nice player moving up and down the ground kicking well and pushing forward for a goal. But when you watch him he isnt a competitor and that means curtains in my book.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Willsmore did have a good GF last year. Very outside and appears soft, however he can play when he has the ball. Like most of the BHH guys, he is not complete.

The bigger issue for mine is the coach/tactics. Playing unfit/injured players, WTF? Side was way too top heavy and slow for Etihad. Langers, JOR and Joffa should have been able to control the centre - these higher paid, better credentialed players were the ones who stuffed up.

NO COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sadly he reminds me of Beau Dowler :thumbsdown:
At the ground i thought he was really disappointing to the extent that i would delist him. But having watched the replay he was one of our better players...which isnt saying much.

Cant see how he gets a game while clarkson is coach. No physical presence at all. A good kick also kicks at least 1 of his 2 shots too.

Any idea while the willy 2s boys in the crowd booed him?
I don't see where Will fits with Hawthorn moving forward. Seems to be little more than a flanker and I'm not sure that the club knows the best position for him.

I thought his game was average.
The only positive I could come up with is I was more disappointed in some others.

So thats a big no to Willsmore by the looks of it :oops:

The one thing that stood out from the rest of the team was he did get angry at what was happening.
Willsmore did have a good GF last year. Very outside and appears soft, however he can play when he has the ball. Like most of the BHH guys, he is not complete.

The bigger issue for mine is the coach/tactics.
Playing unfit/injured players, WTF? Side was way too top heavy and slow for Etihad. Langers, JOR and Joffa should have been able to control the centre - these higher paid, better credentialed players were the ones who stuffed up.

Agreed, our coaches cannot adjust on the fly it seems, nor can our players. Carbon copy of what West Cokes coaches did to our senior team a few weeks back, imo.

He is fine if you like softer outside players who are very good kicks, a bit like Suckling.

He is a very good kick to the extent the should not have missed both of those two set shots that he normally would have slotted, but when that deserts him what does he offer?

If he wishes to survive at the hawks he'll have to markedly improve his contested work. If not he is gone.

He is fine if you like softer outside players who are very good kicks, a bit like Suckling.

He is a very good kick to the extent the should not have missed both of those two set shots that he normally would have slotted, but when that deserts him what does he offer?

If he wishes to survive at the hawks he'll have to markedly improve his contested work. If not he is gone.
Sounds just like a former perennial bigfooty punching bag - one Nathan Lonie.

So thats a big no to Willsmore by the looks of it :oops:.
Far from it. You cant teach skill and footy smarts. He has more of it than anyone else at BHH. He is better this year than he was last year. To gang up on one guy in a game where the team was shellacked is pretty ordinary.

Far from it. You cant teach skill and footy smarts. He has more of it than anyone else at BHH. He is better this year than he was last year. To gang up on one guy in a game where the team was shellacked is pretty ordinary.
Couldn't agree more. Except for the gang up - I've ganged up on nobody and was surprised by some of the comments.

He was elevated after just one year on the rookie list. The club must see something.

Missed Andrews and O'Donnell. But in the end the GF wasn't going to be won with that level of effort.
This is what worries me about our reserve/depth players. The problem with really strong leaders is it creates a vaccum behind them. Dunno how we are going to get guys like JOR, Langers, Gus to stand up and take control.

This is what worries me about our reserve/depth players. The problem with really strong leaders is it creates a vaccum behind them. Dunno how we are going to get guys like JOR, Langers, Gus to stand up and take control.
We missed some run could have been handy to have hartung out there. JOR still finding his way a big year for him next year. Jeds the one i reckon he wasn't fully fit most of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back