2015 is a big year for....

2015 is a big year for?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Knights could be huge for us next year.....or a complete waste.
The latter I reckon.

I voted Griff because he now needs to build on his last six games where he has probably edged out Vicks. Can't see both playing unless the unthinkable happens to Ivan and we have to rely on Hammer.

As for Vickery he will either need to lift his inconsistent efforts or become trade bait next year. He has some tricks but lacks smarts and continuous effort that a guy in the system as long as he has should have improved on.

Others who need to backup this year are Ellis and Miles, both had great years but need to improve not drop back into the pack.

Conca....... next years whipping boy I reckon. A few are now starting to question him and his fitness.

It's gotta be TV that we want the most improvement from. Conca is solid and Vlastuin has improved each year. Griff is patchy, probably below TV in general, but I think closer to his peak than TV. TV's peak could be anywhere if he just pulled his finger out.

Would any of these players be getting a game this weekend?

Probably one or two, but which ones and for which team? Who would they replace?

The critical improvement for me is we need a team where the mids and forwards/backs can run and rotate so we can match the teams that run, run, run for a full match.

Backline
Astbury - if he takes the gorillas, his teaming with Rance is the foundation of something special
Newman - needs to demonstrate he is worth the extension
Morris - get back to 2013 form or better
Grimes - let's see what he can really do with games and a preseason under his belt
Houli - got to get smarter and better under pressure

Mids
Conca - I like the kid. Want to see him consistently win it inside and outside. Huge upside for other mids if he does
Grigg - could be a solid 2nd tier player

Rotating mids/forwards/backs
Floss - with a bigger tank 2015 could be a breakout year
Sheds - would love him to consistently produce his best

Forwards
TV - needs to produce or find a new club
Griff - same as TV

For mine there are 8 players that really need to step up.

1. Vickery - about to hit the age that talls generally start to play their best footy. Maric is 29 heading into next season, behind him is Hampson who needs to improve greatly and then Vickery as our options for the ruck. If it was up to me Vickery would be back training with Maric and working on his ruck work. IMO Vickery has shown that when he is up among the play he can have an impact and I'd like to see us get him back to what we recruited him to be and that is a first ruck. I think the whack on Cox and a few other things have shown that he is not afraid of physicality.

2. Astbury - turns 24 before the 2015 season begins and with Chaplin joining Maric in turning 29, we need to find that next KPD to support Rance. Astbury showed at the start of the 2014 season that he could be a very good 1-1 KPD losing very few contests. If his body can stay together we have the chance to form a very good defensive unit with Rance(25) Astbury(24) & Grimes(23) all having plenty of years ahead of them.

3. Griffiths - for years now we've all been saying that Jack needs support. With Griffiths we have the ideal candidate to be that support. A 200cm/102kg 23 year old who can cover the ground quickly, can clunk a contested grab and can kick goals from 60m with ease would be some sort of weapon if he can get it all to click. It would force the opposition to think twice about simply sagging off and doubling Jack. Much like the KPD group, having Griffiths step up would set us up for a period of stability and success as the spine of our side would be set with Jack Griffiths Vickery Rance & Astbury the goal to goal line.

4. Conca/Vlastuin/McDonough - one of the constant themes so far this off season has been our desperate need for midfield depth. Plenty have been suggesting that we go out and trade away our first pick and/or players to get hold of someone like Shiel or Mitchell. Me personally I'd prefer we hold our picks and go to the draft unless a genuine star is on offer. At the same time I'd like to see these 3 players have the acid put on them to step up and become important parts of the midfield brigade. All 3 are under 23 heading into next season and should be joining Ellis in forming the next wave of midfielders. For us to take the next step having these 3 come in and replace the likes of Grigg Foley & Thomas(who are still with us) and Jackson(who retired) will be a big part of the equation. To do this it will also require 1-2 kids from the draft or the next 2 players to stand up.

5. Lennon & Dea - both highly regarded within the club, but neither have been able to show their true worth so far due to injuries setting them back. If Dea can come in and take a HBF role it releases Vlastuin to become a part of the midfield rotation. Lennon on the other hand doesn't release anyone to play a role, but him stepping up to become a regular means that one of those older players I named before(Grigg/Foley/Thomas) don't play and immediately we'll be better for it.

So that is my under the pump list at this stage.

Agree with the comments that 2015 is a big year for the entire club, it needs to take a big step forward next year.
There are some starting 22 players who I hope have really good preseasons like Conca, Griffiths & Vickery, but its really those at 23-30 on the list that I really want to see step up in 2015 to push a few out of the team.

I'd like to see
Dea - Push out Newman from the team by mid way through the season
Arnott - His pressure when played forward was so good, I want to see him push his way into the side perhaps taking over King's old role
McDonough - Hoping he can be starting 22 by the end of the year, either on HBF or perhaps taking Foley's spot

Wanting to see a bit more from Elton, McIntosh, Lennon & Lloyd too but I don't think their spots are at risk next year... perhaps Elton's is.

Arnot for mine. He is in his last year, and needs to have a massive preseason and play 15+ games to earn another contract. he should be turned into a tagger as he would instill a fear in the person he is playing on.
he needs to run with Ellis all preseason and get his body fit enough to play at a high intensity for 120 minutes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need more options and a multiple choice answer for poll but of those available, vickery. Has to get respect back, need him to be more consistent and contribute a goal or two more per game.

Arnot for mine. He is in his last year, and needs to have a massive preseason and play 15+ games to earn another contract. he should be turned into a tagger as he would instill a fear in the person he is playing on.
he needs to run with Ellis all preseason and get his body fit enough to play at a high intensity for 120 minutes

Arnott will do a matty white on us. Hurts to say. I think he should be taking on the jake king forward pocket role permanently.

agreed they all need to improve, bar Vlas. Alternatively, like some have already mentioned, i want to see continued improvement from Elis and Miles and that they dont fall into a role of complacency.

Hope Anthony Miles doesn't have any second year blues because he was so central to our late season comeback. Think this guy will become the bloke that Coughlin never got the chance to become.

Yeah this has to be the clubs year of making significant progress.

I'm with you on Miles. Miles in my opinion, is the one guy who is critical to our structure given the way he plays. All guts, no glory type of player and will be key to unleashing Cotchin from the pure inside game he was playing. Cotchin needs to take on a Pendlebury "set the game up" type of role and let others do the pure grunt work. Miles is the man to take the pressure of Cotch.

Looking forward to him hitting the weights and becoming a contested / clearance machine.

3. Griffiths - for years now we've all been saying that Jack needs support. With Griffiths we have the ideal candidate to be that support. A 200cm/102kg 23 year old who can cover the ground quickly, can clunk a contested grab and can kick goals from 60m with ease would be some sort of weapon if he can get it all to click. It would force the opposition to think twice about simply sagging off and doubling Jack. Much like the KPD group, having Griffiths step up would set us up for a period of stability and success as the spine of our side would be set with Jack Griffiths Vickery Rance & Astbury the goal to goal line.

Sums up my thoughts exactly re Griffiths. If he holds up and continues to improve (and part of that is just belief in himself as he's shown he has the skills) then our forward line starts to really take on a new dimension to it. Two genuine KPF's who can take contested marks is what opposition sides s**t themselves over.

Griffiths is key to our forward line and Miles to our midfield structure.

And I can't believe people are listing Lennon (a first year player...second next year yes) and Vlastuin to a lesser extent as being under the pump. FFS guys, they're still babies in AFL land. The first three years at a club is all about development. That's it. Don't expect anything from them. Whatever we get is a bonus. That's why Vlastuin has been so impressive for me. Just let those young kids be though and develop with little pressure on them. Conca yes I agree has been in the system long enough now. Not these two though.

Last edited:
Can we please take Vlas off the poll?
Agree he had the blues this year, but nothing like a BF Richmond poll to dent a kids confidence. Think Tambling read one once.
Water off a ducks back to Vlas
Dicky Rambling was over loved by Terry and was of a completely different natured to Vlas
Knowing Vlas he would be reading it and piddling himself with endless laughter. Worrying about what players read on a social media site is trivial in 2014 and the cyber world has moved on since Dicky Ramblings time

I don't think Arnott is good enough. He has no real scope for improvement. He was as good this year for RFC 2nd's as what he was 3 years ago for Coburg.

Conca is the one for me. He needs to become a gun.

And I can't believe people are listing Lennon (a first year player...second next year yes) and Vlastuin to a lesser extent as being under the pump. FFS guys, they're still babies in AFL land. The first three years at a club is all about development. That's it. Don't expect anything from them. Whatever we get is a bonus. That's why Vlastuin has been so impressive for me. Just let those young kids be though and develop with little pressure on them. Conca yes I agree has been in the system long enough now. Not these two though.
I named both and it's not as an under the pump call, but more a need to step up call. Both Lennon & Vlastuin are highly talented players and if they step up and play more prominent roles the side becomes stronger. Ellis just completed his 3rd year and was in the AA squad of 40. Not suggesting that these 2 need to achieve the same but if they start to develop on their potential, we'll be in a better place moving forward.

I'll say all of them (Griff, Vickery, Conca, Vlastuin and Astbury). Think Dimma said we needed our stars to do more but I think we're still pretty reliant on our big name players having good games to help us get up (when's the last time we won a game with none of our stars doing much?).

If Griffiths can become the answer to our CHF conundrum, we have a genuinely difficult monster who can sink goals from 65-70m causing all kinds of headaches for opposition teams.

If Vickery can finally 'click' (was in very good form before his suspension and was on course for a PB goal tally too) we have a 200cm agile, quick and generally a decent kick second ruck playing in the forwardline. Needs to harness his aggression into the right way.

If Conca can become an inside midfield beast (his averages earlier in the season weren't far off Libba's at the Dogs), him and Miles will allow Dusty and Cotchin to play that dual inside/outside role instead of focusing on the grunt side of things.

If Astbury can get back to the form he had prior to his injury, we'll have a genuine gorilla defender who can lockdown on the powerhouse forwards, allowing Rance to play more rebounding/taking on the more mobile/athletic forward.

If Vlastuin can continue his progress (maybe had a bit of the second year blues but wasn't 'bad' by any stretch IMO), he'll become another composed, reliable and tough player in our 22. Already playing beyond his years.

Water off a ducks back to Vlas
Dicky Rambling was over loved by Terry and was of a completely different natured to Vlas
Knowing Vlas he would be reading it and piddling himself with endless laughter. Worrying about what players read on a social media site is trivial in 2014 and the cyber world has moved on since Dicky Ramblings time
Your right, I actually know him.. haven't seen him in a few years now but he is tough as nails, vlas would be in tears of laughter.

I think I'm ready for McBean to turn our forward line into the most dangerous in the competition.

We need a player with the X factor to lift our team from a bunch of good players to a team of great players. God I hope McBean can be that man.

Back