2015 jumper changes.

Remove this Banner Ad

and, the stripes do come and go... We didn't start wearing them til the 30's, and in the 90's, early 00's we wore bloody flourecent yellow (not gold)

I posted about this a while back (searched but can't find) but we had quite a few different jumpers, and colours, in our early days. In the early 1900s we even wore what was effectively an Essendon jumper!

According to http://www.footyjumpers.com/ , the b&g stripes didn't make an appearance until 1950.

I posted about this a while back (searched but can't find) but we had quite a few different jumpers, and colours, in our early days. In the early 1900s we even wore what was effectively an Essendon jumper!

According to http://www.footyjumpers.com/ , the b&g stripes didn't make an appearance until 1950.
So it was! Could have sworn we wore the stripes in the 30's for a couple of seasons, alas, point becomes more valid :)

We aren't collingwood, who need the jumper to have some kind of relevancy to modern society

Players may come and go, but whoever walks through the doors at waverly does so as a hawthorn player
They are still representing us

and, the stripes do come and go... We didn't start wearing them til the 30's, and in the 90's, early 00's we wore bloody flourecent yellow (not gold)

Aha, you do care! ;)

While the jumper design is not the be all and end all I would definitely prefer it to stay the same. Continuity in things like this does help foster attachment.

Aha, you do care! ;)

While the jumper design is not the be all and end all I would definitely prefer it to stay the same. Continuity in things like this does help foster attachment.
Winning helps foster attachment too :)

And, as for the colour, was merely pointing out some peoples hypocracy, particularly how our main jumper just 10 yrs ago was completely different

Players may come and go, but whoever walks through the doors at waverly does so as a hawthorn player
They are still representing us

Actually the stripes arrived in 1950.
But, along with the name Hawthorn, it is what defines and distinguishes our club.

Winning helps foster attachment too :)

And, as for the colour, was merely pointing out some peoples hypocracy, particularly how our main jumper just 10 yrs ago was completely different
upload_2015-3-28_15-58-30.png
images

Completely different? Chalk and cheese?
Hardly.
It is a gold jumper with brown vertical stripes, just like we have had for 66 seasons. Anyone besides a fanatical Hawthorn supporter would say it is exactly the same. On field it looks exactly the same.
There are design changes (a better shade of gold, stripes returned to the back and a pointier stripe on the bottom) but it is the same jumper.

Actually the stripes arrived in 1950.
But, along with the name Hawthorn, it is what defines and distinguishes our club.
Yes, we covered that earlier
Still believe jumper means little without the players
If a player does something courageous, does the act become less worthy because they are wearing a different jumper, or is it just as worthy because they're playing for us?

View attachment 119403
images

Completely different? Chalk and cheese?
Hardly.
It is a gold jumper with brown vertical stripes, just like we have had for 66 seasons. Anyone besides a fanatical Hawthorn supporter would say it is exactly the same. On field it looks exactly the same.
There are design changes (a better shade of gold, stripes returned to the back and a pointier stripe on the bottom) but it is the same jumper.
For starters, that first one is yellow, not gold, and if you remember it, it was flourecent when the players took the field

Still striped, yes, but so is collingwood a and North melbournes
Are you telling me they have the same jumper as us?

Yes, we covered that earlier
Still believe jumper means little without the players
If a player does something courageous, does the act become less worthy because they are wearing a different jumper, or is it just as worthy because they're playing for us?
If you simply follow the players, are you saying that if all of our players left and went to another club, you would change clubs?
OR if we moved to Tassie, became the the Tasmania Devils and wore a red and green jumper, you would be happy with that as long as the players are the same?
Did you support the merger in 1996? If we kept most of the players it would be the same club, right?

For starters, that first one is yellow, not gold, and if you remember it, it was flourecent when the players took the field

Still striped, yes, but so is collingwood a and North melbournes
Are you telling me they have the same jumper as us?
Yes, I am colourblind.

Show anyone in Australia this
118942_47fbd32e732af85169ec5ba98ca7763c.png

And they will know it is a Hawthorn jumper.

When were first wore the white bird from last year, my kids asked my what team I was watching, then why are we wearing a GWS jumper?
From the stands a white jumper could be any of Port, Dogs, GWS, Freo, etc.
Anyone but Hawthorn.

Last edited:
If you simply follow the players, are you saying that if all of our players left and went to another club, you would change clubs?
OR if we moved to Tassie, became the the Tasmania Devils and wore a red and green jumper, you would be happy with that as long as the players are the same?
Did you support the merger in 1996? If we kept most of the players it would be the same club, right?
I'm saying that I'll support anyone who represents hawthorn
Not any player who has played for us

If the club relocated, I'd be heartbroken, and as for 96, I was 6, a bit young, but I remember the anti-merger stuff, and that passion got me on board hawthorn

I'm saying that I'll support anyone who represents hawthorn
Not any player who has played for us

If the club relocated, I'd be heartbroken, and as for 96, I was 6, a bit young, but I remember the anti-merger stuff, and that passion got me on board hawthorn
You will remember that the main thing Don Scott, Ina Dicker, etc fought for was our jumper. That was the symbol of what makes us Hawthorn.

When were first wore the white bird from last year, my kids asked my what team I was watching, then why are we wearing a GWS jumper?
Anyone but Hawthorn.
Yeah, but unless you've got a screw loose you quickly work out which team is which, and cheer accordingly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, I am colourblind.

Show anyone in Australia this
118942_47fbd32e732af85169ec5ba98ca7763c.png

And they will know it is a Hawthorn jumper.

Anyone but Hawthorn.
I was at a game where a child behind me asked why we were wearing white to her father
I turned around and said "because uncle Andrew is old, and can't tell the difference between our colours and our opponent"

Her father laughed as she said "oh, that's ok then" and yelled "go Hawks!"

Guys, anyone who knows anything about branding would see the value in our jumper.
It is the most visible and valuable part of our brand, and needs to be retained at all costs.
McDonalds burgers may taste the same regardless of what the company is called or their logo, but McDonalds know that the Golden Arches they would be far less recognisable, far less visible and far less successful. Same goes for sporting clubs.

Last edited:
Guys, anyone who knows anything about branding would see the value in our jumper.
It is the most visible and valuable part of our brand, and needs to be retained at all costs.
McDonalds burgers may taste the same regardless of what the company is called or their logo, but McDonalds know that the Golden Arches they would be far less recognisable, far less visible and far less successful. Same goes for sporting clubs.

Agreed, but am sure the brainstrust at Man U are also aware of this yet they make significant changes every year...

Hawthorn and adidas will this week unveil their new clash guernsey.

The guernsey which will be worn in Rd 6, 12 and 19 is a unique take on the Hawthorn Football Club heritage, inspired by a modern graphic.

The guernsey will be unveiled ‘piece by piece’ in a treasure hunt in which four puzzle pieces, each detailing a piece of the guernsey, will be hidden across Melbourne over the next four days.

Fans can hunt for a piece of the puzzle daily, beginning on Tuesday morning.

Clues will be given via Hawthorn’s social media channels, with the first fan to find each piece receiving a $500 adidas voucher.

The jumper will officially be launched at the conclusion of the treasure hunt at an in-store event at adidas Bourke Street on Friday 10 April.

Stay tuned for the first clue release this morning at 10am.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back