2015 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So it's just automatically assumed that it is racism then?
He only started being booed after his Australian of the Year award, which he used as a platform to speak about indigenous disadvantage.

Hawthorn are the same club who first indigenous player was recruited in 1999.

So it's just automatically assumed that it is racism then?

Ballaz gets booed almost every away game and especially against Geelong and that's fine.

When we played North every time Boomer Harvey went near the ball the crowd erupted with " Booooooooooooooooooo". Hell I was booing my TV when he touched the ball.

It's no different with Goodes and Hawthorn supporters. He is hated by them the same way Ballaz is hated by Geelong supporters. It has nothing to do with race.

He only started being booed after his Australian of the Year award, which he used as a platform to speak about indigenous disadvantage.

1999 was a long time ago mate.

Buddy Franklin, Cyril Rioli, Shaun Burgoyne and Bradley Hill are just a few of the recent indigenous players they have drafted or traded in. Buddy was their golden boy who they used to sell memberships and put fans in the stands.

1999 was a long time ago mate.

Buddy Franklin, Cyril Rioli, Shaun Burgoyne and Bradley Hill are just a few of the recent indigenous players they have drafted or traded in. Buddy was their golden boy who they used to sell memberships and put fans in the stands.
Have you been to a Hawthorn home game?

1999 is not that long ago, btw.

I still think that that is merely an assumption though and a pretty big claim to say that a large majority of the 60,000 people at the G are racist.

No I haven't but that has nothing to do with their drafting.

Are you saying that Hawthorn as a club are racist or that their members are racist?
I think it's pretty clear what I'm saying. That while the club has evolved the attitudes of their fans haven't. I've been to two Hawks vs Freo games in the past five years, both at the MCG. When Michael Johnson made a mistake in the last quarter of the 2011 match, some pretty choice remarks were made about him and his race at the Punt Road end, by the same peanuts who were yelling out "silk" whenever Burgoyne got the ball, or made that silly Breust call whenever he chipscabbed a goal.

I think it's pretty clear what I'm saying. That while the club has evolved the attitudes of their fans haven't. I've been to two Hawks vs Freo games in the past five years, both at the MCG. When Michael Johnson made a mistake in the last quarter of the 2011 match, some pretty choice remarks were made about him and his race at the Punt Road end, by the same peanuts who were yelling out "silk" whenever Burgoyne got the ball, or made that silly Breust call whenever he chipscabbed a goal.

Oh mate..... Race should never ever be brought into an insult about someones performance but making an assumption that ties 60k Hawks members to racism off attending 2 games in five years is drawing a long bow.

I asked a Hawks supporter at work who attended the Grand final and he told me that Goodes is hated by Hawks fans for his performance in last years grand final with his sniper antics and staging.

Actually when Bateman was drafted in 1999, he was Hawthorn's second ever indigenous player. A mere 42 years earlier, Cyril Collard - another Noongar - played 3 games for them. So 2 originals in 97 years of their existence. Not quite the White Australia Policy but football's best approximation of it. No wonder it took them 50 years to be even vaguely competitive.

cam mccarthy was a die hard freo supporter and still has a soft spot for us, around 2:20 ;)

would love to have him at freo! great interview, young kid that's excited to be playing footy and he's been a ripper so far.

Actually when Bateman was drafted in 1999, he was Hawthorn's second ever indigenous player. A mere 42 years earlier, Cyril Collard - another Noongar - played 3 games for them. So 2 originals in 97 years of their existence. Not quite the White Australia Policy but football's best approximation of it. No wonder it took them 50 years to be even vaguely competitive.

I think a lot of that goes back to zones, and how many aboriginal people live in your zone.

In the SANFL Port Adelaide always had a lot of Aboriginal Players, mainly because they had the Eyre Peninsula zone where there is a lot of Aboriginal players.

Other zones had a lot less or none Aboriginal players. I imagine it would be similar in Victoria.

Another factor is they had a very strong zone, which means they didn't have to chase any players from other states.

To be fair to hawthorn, I doubt there are many Indigenous people living in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne where the majority of their recruiting pre 90's has come from. There are only 30000 odd at the last census living in Victoria which is around 6% of the national indigenous population. Bit rich branding them racist.

To be fair to hawthorn, I doubt there are many Indigenous people living in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne where the majority of their recruiting pre 90's has come from. There are only 30000 odd at the last census living in Victoria which is around 6% of the national indigenous population. Bit rich branding them racist.

Richmond is next door to Hawthorn and Richmond had 5 indigenous players between 1968 and 1998. Over the same period Hawthorn had zero.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They brought in people from WA. Maurice Rioli, the Krakoeur and a few others as well.

Hawks had an awesome zone, and had no need to bring anybody in.
They went all the way to Queensland for Dunstall, SA for Platten and WA for Buckenara.

They recruited as widely as anyone else in the VFL.

They brought in people from WA. Maurice Rioli, the Krakoeur and a few others as well.

Hawks had an awesome zone, and had no need to bring anybody in.

As well as the 6 players listed by clogged and Frank, they also recruited Peter Hudson from Tassie.

It's pretty obvious they brought a lot of players in. Do you not think it's significant that none of them were aboriginal?

As well as the 6 players listed by clogged and Frank, they also recruited Peter Hudson from Tassie.

It's pretty obvious they brought a lot of players in. Do you not think it's significant that none of them were aboriginal?

They were pretty good pick ups weren't they. I bet they would no regrets picking them up, and I can't think of too many players I would rather have got.

Just because they didn't have any aboriginal players, doesn't mean they were racist.

He actually used it to propose that our constitution be altered to recognise only 1 race of people.

He became a Labor politician, and now he gets booed. Diddums.

At least Peter Garret had the good sense to retire from performing before doing the same, or he would have been booed at performances too.

He actually used it to propose that our constitution be altered to recognise only 1 race of people.

Yeah nah, usual crap from you pokerspiv.

They were pretty good pick ups weren't they. I bet they would no regrets picking them up, and I can't think of too many players I would rather have got.

Just because they didn't have any aboriginal players, doesn't mean they were racist.

Number of indigenous players recruited between 1969 and 1998.

North Melbourne 12
St Kilda 12
South melbourne/Sydney 10
Essendon 9
Melbourne 9
Fitzroy 8
Richmond 8
Carlton 6
Foootscray 6

Geelong 3
Collingwood 2
Hawthorn 0

So, just a coincidence that Hawthorn were the only club who recruited no aboriginal players for 30 years (league average was 7) and then recruited 10 indigenous players in the 15 years after that? Looks like a change of recruiting policy to me.

At least Peter Garret had the good sense to retire from performing before doing the same, or he would have been booed at performances too.
You have no idea behind constitutional recognition do you

Interesting points about Hawthorn's non recruiting of indigenous players. But c'mon guys, if Adam Goodes was involved in pinchgate instead of Boomer Harvey, and he was getting booed at our home games. Would you be happy if opposition supporters called Freo supporters racist?

Interesting points about Hawthorn's non recruiting of indigenous players. But c'mon guys, if Adam Goodes was involved in pinchgate instead of Boomer Harvey, and he was getting booed at our home games. Would you be happy if opposition supporters called Freo supporters racist?

Goodes hasn't been booed since he pinched someone. He's been booed since he made a very public stand against racism.

Goodes hasn't been booed since he pinched someone. He's been booed since he made a very public stand against racism.
Have we taken into account that around the time of his stance against racism Goodes has upped the staging and been involved in some heated matches (and moments) against the Hawks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back