2015 NAB Challenge - Hawthorn v Collingwood (7.10p AEDT Aurora Stadium, Tas)

Remove this Banner Ad

Still waiting for the highlight reel you promised. Nope, didn't think it existed either.

Your logic is that my contention, that Frawley wasn't worth Pick 3 compensation, is unsupported. I have said that Frawley was bad last year. I have said that Frawley was bad last night. That's two supporting points.

My argument has nothing to do with the team that I support, which is the nonsense that you proceeded to waffle about blah blah September blah blah.

I'm not picking apart any club's list - what makes you so defensive? I posted on what I saw last night (which is what this thread is about) and noted good and bad things from each team's perspective. But then you went aggressive and threatened to pick apart 30 players from the team that I support. Sheesh, might be time to have a good hard look at yourself in the mirror.

I'm not sure where I said he was worth pick 3 in compensation, simply I am saying that you can not judge a guy in his first scratch match at a new club and make an assumption he's going to be no good. Tom Boyd may just go kickless in his first outing and look all at sea in his first hitout, will you defend him as a young guy finding his feet at a new club when/if people question his million dollar contract?

My irrational response was in reaction to your irrational presumption of Frawley, your continuation of trying to pump home your point with highlights screams desperation at trying to prove a point that's simply not there.

Frawley will be fine, he is with the most professional and successful footy club of the last 50 years, I'm not concerned in the slightest with his performance.

We had 15 premiership players who were rested last night. We ain't missing the finals. We only play our senior players when it really matters.

I don't get why these performances are analyzed so intently. Didn't you guys lose all bar one of your pre season matches in 2013?

That season turned out terribly for you guys :p

I don't get why these performances are analyzed so intently. Didn't you guys lose all bar one of your pre season matches in 2013?

That season turned out terribly for you guys :p

In 2013 we went 0-4 in the Nab Cup losing to Brisbane, Gold Coast, Western Bulldogs and Richmond. About six months later we won the flag. It's quite clear what our intentions were and that's to get game-time into our young players. We don't care about the result.

In 2013 we went 0-4 in the Nab Cup losing to Brisbane, Gold Coast, Western Bulldogs and Richmond. About six months later we won the flag. It's quite clear what our intentions were and that's to get game-time into our young players. We don't care about the result.

That's to logical of a reason for BF!!

I remember north fans saying the same about Gibson a few years ago.

Greenwood will thrive at collingwood I reckon.
He probably will thrive at Collingwood because he's playing in a team that missed finals last year and whose midfield doesn't bat as deep as ours, which is precisely the insecurity that saw him leave.

Hey JB, what do you think you are doing, coming on a thread and making "perfect sense". The fact that you are new to this, I will give you the benifit of the doubt that you will soon learn that that is not how this things work:). Also with intelligent and concise comments, you make the rest of us magpie supporters look bad, if you keep it up, they may expect it from the rest of us.
In all honesty though, well said.
Ta for the kind words, much appreciated. Now it's true that I can be a slow learner, and that I might modify my sensible comments in time to better fit with the madness which surrounds us, but so far my version of sanity doesn't seem totally out of place here. As for my comments being out of kilter with the rest of the Black and White, we all know that Pies supporters are the poets and scholars among the football fraternity, but really we just tend to hide it better than other folk. o_O

The article says he never felt comfortable about holding his spot, not that he shouldn't have been a lock in the best 22. He was third in the North BnF, and was one vote off winning it, and him thinking he still needed to earn his spot is a pretty poor reflection on Norths player management rather than a reflection on Greenwood's ability or form.
I don't have a problem with our coaches having players think they need to earn their spots. It's how it should be. So if he thought he was going to be gifted a game because he finished 3rd in the B&F, then we're probably better off without him, and explains why he took the easier route at Collingwood. Don't forget he had 6 years on our list, and during his first 5 he struggled to get a game because he wasn't prepared to work hard enough, so he has history.
He is a significant loss particularly when you think of the years that were invested in his development and now they have lost him for nothing just as he has proven his worth.
We didn't lose him nothing. We secured a highly rated key position defender to fill a need based on our PF failure, who from all reports has really impressed on the track and will line up for his first game on Sunday. So from the outside it might look like it was a loss with Greenwood leaving, from the inside we're OK with it as we players to fill his role, and we scored a KPD out of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty happy with the performance of some of our young blokes.
Also some encouraging signs from the old firm and new recruits.
Overall no injuries and a win so its obviously a success.

Its just the NAB challenge. Hawks had about 13 guns out.
Pies were missing 6-7 starting 22.

I can guarantee the season proper will offer a different story, especially with 20 different players on the park.

McEvoy has strong hands up forward, Hawks forward line will be scary good when everyone is available.

HF - Rioli Roughead Puopolo
F - Breust Gunston McEvoy

Gibbo and Burgers both took time to adjust to new team mates, tactics etc. I reckon it took both at least half a season to really start gelling with the rest of the team and I expect the same from Frawley.

Not sure what the Breust still one sided comment was about anyone?

yeh true.... hopefully for our sake he turns it around...

Didnt pay huge attention to the game but pies were applying great pressure & their forward entries were pretty good... elliot, fasolo & karnezis to get amongst it this year & maybe a top 8 birth is on the cards?
No top 8 for the Pies. It would be nice, but isn't likely. Let the kids get a kick, let's see if the kids even know how to kick, let's rotate some of our 3-4 year players around to see which ones can quickly cement a spot, and anything better than 10th would be a bonus. Really, we had a topsy turvy year in 2014, so it would also be nice if we focus on (a) consistency, (b) bedding down a game style, and (c) developing a functional forward line.

I will enjoy my team participating in the finals. You can enjoy watching teams kick bags on your horrible backline. Lol brown - how is that guy vice captain?

You mean the full back in our premiership year?

Pies missed the finals last year for the first time since 2005. We were 9 and 3 last year before a wrecked run with injuries killed us off. With a softer draw than last year and a very healthy injury list, you have no hope in hell that the pies wont make finals. Your collingwood hatred is appreciated and in fact just makes it more satisfying when we hand you pretenders another flogging.

PS you got 30K in members yet? lol

LOL time to adapt to structures. You drink your own bathwater too right?

Frawley was one of the worst performed Hawthorn players on the field last night. You can make whatever excuses you like for that to suit yourself, but it won't change what happened.

Why so angry...Yeh you're right, playing for Melbourne is exactly the same as playing for Hawthorn.
It was a practice match and his first game....you're acting as if its the be all and end all.

Poor years. Not just one poor year.

No it was one poor year where he was played out of position.
His 2013 he conceded 1.4 goals per match playing in a basket case side with a non existent midfield, playing on the best KP forwards with the ball entering his back 50 with with little to no pressure....hardly poor.

Throw a key back in with 4 unknown kids against mature body players and he will struggle no matter how good he is.

You didn't really read my post in the first place. You saw a negative comment about Frawley having a bad game and went ballistic. You weren't the only hawks supporter to react in the same manner. I never passed final judgement on Frawley's net worth. I simply said he wasn't worth Pick 3 in compensation and you started telling me how my argument was flawed. You were the irriational party, for presuming that I was passing final judgement because you didn't read my post properly in the first place. You went further and told me that I wasn't supporting my views when clearly I posted some footage that clearly demonstrated my point whereas you still have failed to come through on your supposed recent highlights reel.

When you talk about "desperation at trying to prove a point that's simply not there", are you actually saying that Frawley being dispossessed twice within 20 seconds by an 18-year old in his first season is anything other than really bad? Because if you are, you need to take off the rose-coloured glasses.
Hey - just wondering what comp you guys got for cooney leaving?

not trolling just interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a problem with our coaches having players think they need to earn their spots. It's how it should be. So if he thought he was going to be gifted a game because he finished 3rd in the B&F, then we're probably better off without him, and explains why he took the easier route at Collingwood. Don't forget he had 6 years on our list, and during his first 5 he struggled to get a game because he wasn't prepared to work hard enough, so he has history.
Yep, I don't have a problem with people being forced to earn their spots, but the fact is some players will be given more lee-way than others when it comes to form. If Greenwood still didn't feel he had earned the respect of his coaches after finishing 3rd in the BnF or feel he had earned a little lee-way, then the statement of poor player management stands, unless of course the player management was designed to have him walk. Only time will tell if Daniel Nielson will be the goods, but at least he will have a year or two to develop before Norths ageing KPD retire.

Getting onto the footy for just a minute, was it painfully obvious to anyone else that outside from 50, Collingwood deliberately bombed the ball high to the 'hotspot' almost every single time they went in ? It happened too often to just be exploiting a weaker opposition on the night in my opinion. Mind you, it worked on several occasions, but backlines like Geelong, and us when we're at full strength, would have a field day against that tactic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back