2015 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Funnily enough I was thinking with Gregson now a regular fixture, how many more under 180cm mids can we have in the team?! But class probably prevails regardless of height. If he thickens up could become that Crawford type mid. That's who he actually reminded me of when watching him yesterday.
When the size comment came up I was trying to work out if you meant height or build.

But I guess there is even a bit of a bias in some quarters against the 180cm tall guys these days. :D

Just to throw a spanner into the works, what about Kieran Collins? Assuming we are picking up
Size Issue , what size issue ..he is over 180

EDIT:

Darcy PARISH
25/07/1997
Winchelsea/ Geelong Falcons

Picket went at 4 and is shorter

I'm surprised he's 181cm. He looks shorter to me on the field.

*googles*

Sorry, was getting Parish and Tucker confused. Agreed that Parish might only be an option further down the order - those guys tend to drop because of their size.

Tucker worked his way into Saturday's game in the second half. But in the first half he struggled albeit showing signs of his class on a couple of occasions when he got the ball. He is certainly quick, and has a nice kicking left foot kicking style though he did turn it over by foot a couple of times.

He is though one of maybe 4-5 midfielders that you would have to consider. I just don't see much depth in this draft. Watching the few games I have I haven't been blown away by the talent on offer this year.

...AFTER dominating in defence last weekend, South Australian tall Aaron Francis was swung forward on Saturday and kicked 4.5 in his second straight best on ground performance.

Francis was at his powerful best...

Francis, who has already played several senior games at SANFL level, took eight marks and laid seven tackles, finishing the match with 22 possessions after starting in the midfield.

The 191cm South Australian burst through stoppages and was hard to beat in the air, making him a nightmare match-up and a priority for recruiters at the pointy end of this year's NAB AFL Draft.

View attachment 141398

Some vision.

Cant see him getting to far into the draft. will be called early.
The very brief highlights from the West V North game were interesting. Looks to be capable of holding his own against more mature types which is likely to be taken into account as well.

Being a tall defender we'd probably pass over him anyway. :D

Just to throw a spanner into the works, what about Kieran Collins? Assuming we are picking up

Colins looks like a guys who could be a real Gorilla defender... but how early for a player like him. I was thinking late and Rookie and then I saw Rising Stars had him inside 20. Looked good but he looks a lot stronger than who he was playing on

Tucker worked his way into Saturday's game in the second half. But in the first half he struggled albeit showing signs of his class on a couple of occasions when he got the ball. He is certainly quick, and has a nice kicking left foot kicking style though he did turn it over by foot a couple of times.

He is though one of maybe 4-5 midfielders that you would have to consider. I just don't see much depth in this draft. Watching the few games I have I haven't been blown away by the talent on offer this year.
Yeah, having watched the first quarter of the game (so well placed for definitive judgements :oops:) I'm already looking at guys thinking 'I reckon you'd be a decent get in the second or third round' and then thinking that they're probably going to be taken a round earlier.

Colins looks like a guys who could be a real Gorilla defender... but how early for a player like him. I was thinking late and Rookie and then I saw Rising Stars had him inside 20. Looked good but he looks a lot stronger than who he was playing on
Again only based off a quarter but what impressed me was less his strength and more his willingness (and ability) to come off his man to take those intercepting marks. And born in December 97, maybe a couple more cm to come? That said, could be an interesting study in how the jumper you wear changes perception of you a player. Reminds me a lot of J Kolodjashnij, and he was considerably cheaper than pick 20.

Again only based off a quarter but what impressed me was less his strength and more his willingness (and ability) to come off his man to take those intercepting marks. And born in December 97, maybe a couple more cm to come? That said, could be an interesting study in how the jumper you wear changes perception of you a player. Reminds me a lot of J Kolodjashnij, and he was considerably cheaper than pick 20.

Always a little risky going on limited viewing but he looks a stronger type than Kolo. Seems happier closer to goals As you say , add a couple of cm and he could be a strong FB type. I agree P20 is a bit steep.

Yeah, having watched the first quarter of the game (so well placed for definitive judgements :oops:) I'm already looking at guys thinking 'I reckon you'd be a decent get in the second or third round' and then thinking that they're probably going to be taken a round earlier.
Once you get to see a couple of full games you'll think there is a bit more on offer (hopefully).

Although I had read this year's draft seems a little on the thin side.

Hopefully the Northern Academies can churn out a few extra players and dump them into the pool (or, at the very least, cause a few players from Vic, SA & WA to be left on the table when the 4 Northern sides are forced to match bids for their cream).

Last edited:
Always a little risky going on limited viewing but he looks a stronger type than Kolo. Seems happier closer to goals As you say , add a couple of cm and he could be a strong FB type. I agree P20 is a bit steep.

If you could lock in a 10 year full back with a pick 20 you'd do it in the blink of an eye. Whether Collins is that 10 year player who knows? But he does seem to have some impressive attributes. He reminds me more recently of Hurley as an u18. Was that very solid U18 full back.

If you could lock in a 10 year full back with a pick 20 you'd do it in the blink of an eye. Whether Collins is that 10 year player who knows? But he does seem to have some impressive attributes. He reminds me more recently of Hurley as an u18. Was that very solid U18 full back.
Alway tough to make comparisons , it gets swayed by the other players on the ground. Sort of reminds me a bit of Rutten , big bulky tank like body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurley a worthy #5 or was his position an indication of his peers in his draft year?

I like him but when I think of #5 picks he isn't one that comes to mind right away.

Not that he is alone there (Tenace anyone??).

Just shows how drafts can be up and down year on year.

Last edited:
Alway tough to make comparisons , it gets swayed by the other players on the ground. Sort of reminds me a bit of Rutten , big bulky tank like body.

Yeh, I can see that. True that it is hard to make comparisons and they are perhaps pointless in any case - no two players are exactly the same. If you assume we may obtain Dangerfield and S.Selwood as FA's, then perhaps we will look to take a tall defender with one of our first two picks (if we haven't traded them away)? Trouble may be that he falls between our first two - not worthy of being taken with our first but gone before our second. How often does that happen?!!!

Hurley a worthy #5 or was his position an indication of his draft year?

I like him but when I think of #5 picks he isn't one that comes to mind right away.

Not that he is alone there (Tenace anyone??).

Just shows how drafts can be up and down year on year.

He started his career like he was the next Carey but that hasn't quite worked out has it? I wonder whether all the goings on at Bomberland has stagnated a few young careers there? He has also been shuffled forward and back, not allowing him to settle in one spot.

I wouldn't be paying too high a price for Collins at this stage - maybe a late first/early 2 rounder assuming his form continues as is for the carnival.

Five at an absolute minimum I would have thought. Hartman is definite. You'd think McIntosh would follow. Stokes, Simpson, Mackie, Kelly, Bartel, Enright and Johnson are all uncontracted. Again, you'd think at minimum 2-3 would give it away/be tapped. Then there's Menzel, Cowan, Blease and Rivers - pretty sure all would be out of contract and for various reasons would be facing the axe.

Five at an absolute minimum I would have thought. Hartman is definite. You'd think McIntosh would follow. Stokes, Simpson, Mackie, Kelly, Bartel, Enright and Johnson are all uncontracted. Again, you'd think at minimum 2-3 would give it away/be tapped. Then there's Menzel, Cowan, Blease and Rivers - pretty sure all would be out of contract and for various reasons would be facing the axe.

Plus 2 min coming in as mature non draft players of course.

Thinking on it...... We all are familiar with Wells methodology. He is a draft Contrarian... most reports have clubs taking less picks this , perhaps trading more than drafting this year.
Would we really take 5 in a year where most seem to think it drops off after 30 or so... especially if we trade our R1? If we can find 5 late picks like Gregson ..fine.

Thinking on it...... We all are familiar with Wells methodology. He is a draft Contrarian... most reports have clubs taking less picks this , perhaps trading more than drafting this year.
We may very well be active players come trade time so this is quite possible if the draft is perceived to be shallow.

I think the magic list number is 44. I may be wrong but I think a senior list can be as low as 38 which means you can have 6 rookie positions available (in 2015 we're at 40 + 4).

Then there are 2 Cat. B rookie slots on offer.

To make a play for a couple of free agents we might actually cull the list but not top it up outside the mandatory 2 "live" draft selections + 1 rookie elevation (Luxford for example).

As rookies traditionally get paid less dollars, that might also swell the "war chest" a little more next year to make a run at free agents like Dangerfield and Selwood along with trade targets like Henderson (these names are used solely because they continually come up in discussion).

In this scenario we may roll the dice on some additional rookies or create a couple of extra rookie spots to move a LTI player or 2 off the senior list while retaining them for an additional year.

We may very well be active players come trade time so this is quite possible if the draft is perceived to be shallow.

I think the magic list number is 44. I may be wrong but I think a senior list can be as low as 38 which means you can have 6 rookie positions available (in 2015 we're at 40 + 4).

Then there are 2 Cat. B rookie slots on offer.

To make a play for a couple of free agents we might actually cull the list but not top it up outside the mandatory 2 "live" draft selections + 1 rookie elevation (Luxford for example).

As rookies traditionally get paid less dollars, that might also swell the "war chest" a little more next year to make a run at free agents like Dangerfield and Selwood along with trade targets like Henderson (these names are used solely because they continually come up in discussion).

In this scenario we may roll the dice on some additional rookies or create a couple of extra rookie spots to move a LTI player or 2 off the senior list while retaining them for an additional year.

Just got this feeling that demand for early picks this year Pre-30 will be high... and post that not so much. But this is where Wells the Wizard tend to wave the wand. If we have to trade out for a player , perhaps bring in 3 or maybe even 4 in system players ... maybe Wells backs himself to find 2 or 3 late ones that will look good down the track. He does tend to look deeper than just the current shape. I have no real players in mind atm , but a kid who is about 20 or so that drops due to injury or what ever is the type SW looks for.
Sam Skinner is one name of the top of my head.... must be others. If we lose Kolo , Skinner may be worth the gamble.
Where does Burton go? ... There will be other I'm sure and there are always sliders.

If we lose JK then that will alter our current drafting strategy I would think. The need for a young KPD will be essential so I could easily see us taking Collins with our first pick. I don't see a ton of difference in class with the mids from 5 or 6 to those available at 20-30. There's no Bontempelli or Selwood in this draft from what I've seen. Perhaps if we end up having a first rounder at ~10 and a second rounder at ~28 then we go for Collins with our first and someone like Cole or Holmes with our second?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back