2015 Round 1 Line up

Remove this Banner Ad

Griff leaving will burn a hole in our team, at least for a couple seasons. People are underestimating his loss.

Cooney is replaceable. Griff is not.
Surprised it doesn't get talked about more. Talk about a giant setback for a rebuilding team.

I don't care how flakey two of them were and how much of a ***k the other might be we lost 3 best 22 players in their mid - late 20s. The most improvement possible from our kids will only get us to this years total of 7 wins IMO and that's pretty optimistic.

Griff leaving will burn a hole in our team, at least for a couple seasons. People are underestimating his loss.

Cooney is replaceable. Griff is not.

No doubt Griffen was our best player, but he was far from his best last year (and not our best). I still reckon we can at least hold ground in 2015 with another years development into all our (gun!) kids.

Just looked back at some of the rats junior work. He's been an inside beast his whole life and wanted to work on his scoreboard impact. A couple years in the afl now played up forward I think we put murphy up forward and get the rat to win us some skilful footy in the guts a bit more this year. Helps balance out the loss of Griff A BIT

Just looked back at some of the rats junior work. He's been an inside beast his whole life and wanted to work on his scoreboard impact. A couple years in the afl now played up forward I think we put murphy up forward and get the rat to win us some skilful footy in the guts a bit more this year. Helps balance out the loss of Griff A BIT

Rat, Honey and Hunter are all going to need to play increased midfield minutes this year otherwise we just won't have the depth rotating through there.

Picken roughead Morris
Wood Roberts Biggs
Dahl Libba macrae
Grant bonts murphy
Crameri Boyd stringer
Minson wallis Boyd

Hrovat Stevens Jj hunter

The interchange bench and half forward line will spend large amounts of time in the midfield.

This side really only has 3 forwards 5 backs and the rest are midfielders. Yes, 14 midfielders. It is the way the game is going.

Unlucky to miss out:
Talia, Dickson, redpath, Jong, Darley, campbell.

Injured but could become best 22:
Smith, Prudden

No doubt Griffen was our best player, but he was far from his best last year (and not our best). I still reckon we can at least hold ground in 2015 with another years development into all our (gun!) kids.

Don't ignore the development and recruitment of other sides around us on the ladder.
Purely on talent and development Brisbane and GWS at least are monties to finish on top of us next year.
Their lists have got better and will have development of youth also.

Dont discount the saints who smashed freo last year either and who have filled some obvious deficiencies.
Melbourne have also filled holes and have hogan coming back.

Our list got worse in terms of 2015 - for the sake of long term improvement.
I personally think holding ground would be a massive result for us.

Don't ignore the development and recruitment of other sides around us on the ladder.
Purely on talent and development Brisbane and GWS at least are monties to finish on top of us next year.

Dont discount the saints who smashed freo last year either and who have filled some obvious deficiencies.

Yeah, it's going to be tough to improve enough to end up ahead of the teams who ended below us this year. All have upside and it's easier to mount a case for us ending up on the bottom than it is for us to be pushing the 8. If we are being realistic. Something I find hard to so, because I am always too optimistic.

One thing for sure, our kids will get plenty of exposure, our depth players will get games. It should be a good year for us in terms of development but it may not be good from a win/loss perspective. The media surely can't be too hard on us, most will have us in the bottom 3 at the start of the year. But brace yourself for the inevitable Tom Boyd bashing and general doom and gloom that comes from losing games regardless.

Despite all that I'm looking forward to what I think will be a tough year, but very very interesting and exciting one.

Yeah, it's going to be tough to improve enough to end up ahead of the teams who ended below us this year. All have upside and it's easier to mount a case for us ending up on the bottom than it is for us to be pushing the 8. If we are being realistic. Something I find hard to so, because I am always too optimistic.

One thing for sure, our kids will get plenty of exposure, our depth players will get games. It should be a good year for us in terms of development but it may not be good from a win/loss perspective. The media surely can't be too hard on us, most will have us in the bottom 3 at the start of the year. But brace yourself for the inevitable Tom Boyd bashing and general doom and gloom that comes from losing games regardless.

Despite all that I'm looking forward to what I think will be a tough year, but very very interesting and exciting one.

Such a refreshing post - Hard to be realistic I agree but something alot need to do in here.
And totally agree about Boyd - I've been bashed for saying ti but you cannot expect anything more than 15 games and 20-25 goals sort of a season IMO.
Especially if he is playing in a losing side. Not saying he isnt capable of more - but lets not expect or anticipate anymore than that.

I am discounting the saints. if we cant finish above them we have massive problems. They suck. Period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am discounting the saints. if we cant finish above them we have massive problems. They suck. Period.

hahaha yes I feel similar

Just pointed out in an earlier post that they beat a top 4 side last year and by a margin I dont think we have beaten any side in the last couple of years.

If we go in to rd 1 with a 19 year old key forward as our only tall up front I'll be disappointed. That's a McCartney move.
One of Campbell, Cordy or Redpath to play as well?
I would be okay with Stringer as the second forward, Crameri as the third and Grant as the fourth, although Grant plays like a small forward you have you 4 190+cm players, plus Bonts who can go up there as well.

One of Campbell, Cordy or Redpath to play as well?
I would be okay with Stringer as the second forward, Crameri as the third and Grant as the fourth, although Grant plays like a small forward you have you 4 190+cm players, plus Bonts who can go up there as well.

Another criticism I had last year was not enough support for Will. Will was quick to be bagged but reallyt not supported like he should have been. For a good lot of the last 10 games of 2013 he had support in campbell.
In 2014.. He got smashed in games like the freo one - couldnt expect him to carry the loads he did and wasnt given enough support.
Campbell has to play IMO to provide Will the support he needs and to take pressure off boyd.
Cant have boyd rucking next year. needs to learn his craft up forward.

Another criticism I had last year was not enough support for Will. Will was quick to be bagged but reallyt not supported like he should have been. For a good lot of the last 10 games of 2013 he had support in campbell.
In 2014.. He got smashed in games like the freo one - couldnt expect him to carry the loads he did and wasnt given enough support.
Campbell has to play IMO to provide Will the support he needs and to take pressure off boyd.

Agreed! Campbell finished 3rd in the Liston medal - not bad considering he played the last 5 games in the AFL! He was winning the VFL medal when he was elevated to the firsts. Yet the whole season Minson was struggling in the AFL by himself, under duress and clearly frustrated. The mind boggles at some of the coaching selections.

Roughead? Like how Jackson Trengrove rucked from CHB for Port this year.

B- Wood Roughead Morris
HB- Murphy Talia Darley
C- Macrae M.Boyd Biggs
HF- Crameri Bontempelli Hunter
F- A.Cordy Stringer Dahlhaus

Ruck- Minson
RR- Jong
RO- Liberatore

Int- Hrovat, Stevens, Johannisen
Sub- Grant

Second ruck is a huge issue, if T.Boyd is named next to
Ayce it does not look right. Maybe put Boyd in and push
Stringer to the pocket, but then you lose the second
ruck. Obviously Wallis and Picken best 22 ,but i prefer
team defense model hopefully not as much of a void
between the mids and defense.

B- Wood Roughead Morris
HB- Murphy Talia Darley
C- Macrae M.Boyd Biggs
HF- Crameri Bontempelli Hunter
F- A.Cordy Stringer Dahlhaus

Ruck- Minson
RR- Jong
RO- Liberatore

Int- Hrovat, Stevens, Johannisen
Sub- Grant

Second ruck is a huge issue, if T.Boyd is named next to
Ayce it does not look right. Maybe put Boyd in and push
Stringer to the pocket, but then you lose the second
ruck. Obviously Wallis and Picken best 22 ,but i prefer
team defense model hopefully not as much of a void
between the mids and defense.

no picken? i respect your opinion, but joish. he'd be among the first picked for mine.

The key guy is Minson. He shapes our side. He is one of the few rucks in the AFL that is actually better suited to grinding through a game solo (along with Mummy, Goldstein, and the People’s Beard before him). If Minno is managing his back well and gets through a pre-season, he’ll need only the occasional chop-out. If he’s on a restricted program for much of the summer – the we need to select another tall. I back Minno (pardon the pun) to get himself sorted, so here is my side.

B: Morris, Roberts, Picken
HB: Wood, Talia, Murphy
C: Macrae, Boyd, Hunter
HF: Crameri, Roughy, JJ
F: Dahlhaus, Boyd, Stringer
R: Minson, Wallis, Libba
I: Hrovat, Stevens, Bontempelli
S: Grant (but anyone really)

Back Six:
Roberts gets a crack at FB. I like the cut of his jib – determined and poised. Morris moves to playing on smalls / mediums and can use his play-reading to be third man up (we don’t see it often, coz he’s always in the contest). Wood to continue his development on mediums / third talls. Murphy the principle ball user, and as others have said, I’d like him to be less accountable and more attacking than last year. I’m not sold on Talia, but he gets the nod. Morris pinch hits at FB and Roberts plays on ball 5 minutes a Q

I have Redpath slated as KPD cover, most likely at FB because he’s unlikely to stay with a guy like Cloke for half a quarter without a MICA call-out. No-one wants that. Biggs and Darley waiting for injuries. Zaine would have to have a massive preseason to get a look ahead of Morris, Wood, Murphy.

Midfield:
Minno is key. Needs to impose himself at contests again. Libba needs a massive pre-season – the heat is coming his way this year from our opponent’s best taggers. Wallis is one of the first picked for mine as a defense first midfielder, who stands next to the oppositions best midfielder. Hunter and Macrae’s work on the fringes should complement the inside work of this group and Boyd. Hrovat gives our side a combo mid with ball use, which we’re desperate for. Utilities and big frames of Stevens and Bonts round out our midfield rotations.

Our depth has taken a beating here with Griff, Coons, Tutt, Goodes and Higgins goneski. Honeychurch will get his chance. Injuries may see Picken and Luke D spend time midfield. The mythical Prudden if fit will also have no excuses. Tommy C will get chances, and needs to take them.

Forward:
Crameri is the key guy. He needs to get on his bike more often to provide a target out of defence, lose his man up there and run forward. Roughead is on the end of Crameri’s lead-up work. He’s shown that he’s a smart game reader and leader, and with his skills, I think he can play a great structural role across HF. JJ and Dal get to be pests, and roll through the midfield at stages. Luke D as a 75% forward pocket please. Boyd at FF is a given. He’s not just a monster – he’s clever, gets separation on the lead. Our mids need to kick it to his advantage. I like Stringer as a midfielder, but when he’s kicking 2 a game, it’s hard to move him from the forward line. He compliments Boyd well.

Honey gets a look-in here with injuries, or if Dal gets moved midfield. Dickson is underrated, and statistically far better than the enigma that is Jarrad Grant. Ayce is improving, and his great hope is with a Minson injury – and therefore a Campbell / Cordy duo.

no picken? i respect your opinion, but joish. he'd be among the first picked for mine.
I agree with you on Picken he is one of my favorite players because he
leaves nothing in the bank he empties the account every game. The
point i am trying to make is not about individuals, but more going
forward with a new game style and hitting control/alt/delete on
what we did in the past and embracing the future with the realization
that it will look different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back