2015 Round 1 Line up

Remove this Banner Ad

In the few games Cordy played this year, I saw a bit of Dean Cox in him. With a bit of overdue luck, he could be a high quality, super agile ruckman. I think he's a much more exciting prospect than Tom Campbell.

As for Jarrad Grant, he's a pick 5, 193cm, has elite agility, flair & knows where the goals are. He's been devoid of confidence & determination his whole career, and imo, just needs a coach to light the fire in his belly. Dickson's proven more at AFL Level, but Grant at his best is a far more exciting prospect.

It's funny how we all read it. I see Campbell ahead of Ayce and I have been a massive Ayce man all along. But unless Ayce can learn to mark over head then he ends up just being a tall guy with some agility. Campbell can mark it, we've seen him do it.

I want to see Ayce working one on one with whoever....in marking duals, in packs and teach him to use his height and reach to advantage. It's just about all he should be doing at training other than the odd skill drills.

Ideally both Campbell and Cordy make it as they compliment each other very nicely. Although Campbell is miles ahead tbh, he is a beast and will be a top 5 ruckman in the comp in the future.

He just must stop burning us with his disposal. It's gone from bad to worse to diabolical and it's now got to the ludicrous stage.

agree totally. boyd is brave, fit, former captain and hardened ball magnet (26ppg) - and folks still question is place in our 22. that's how bad his disposal is getting.

i just think that it's much more likely that he tidies up his ball use (to a passable level), than it is for lin jong / hunter to boost their output from 12-16 ppg to 25ppg.

In the few games Cordy played this year, I saw a bit of Dean Cox in him. With a bit of overdue luck, he could be a high quality, super agile ruckman. I think he's a much more exciting prospect than Tom Campbell.

As for Jarrad Grant, he's a pick 5, 193cm, has elite agility, flair & knows where the goals are. He's been devoid of confidence & determination his whole career, and imo, just needs a coach to light the fire in his belly. Dickson's proven more at AFL Level, but Grant at his best is a far more exciting prospect.

i really like grant, and i want him to make it. but he's onto his third coach now? he's been counselled by gia, baked by boyd and cuddled by murph (our captain believes that the main issue is that his drive to be good and live up to his own standards is the main reason he ain't - he gets in his own head). what grant can do isn't in question, but one good game in 6 doesn't cut. i'd have traded him out two years ago, and now unfortunately he's delist material.

Picked for team balance:

WB (Round 1)

B: Wood, Roughead/Roberts, Morris
HB: Biggs, Talia, Murphy
C: JJ, Bontempelli, Macrae
HF: Crameri, Roughead/Roberts, Dahlhaus
FF: T.Boyd, Stringer, McLean (round 1 smokey)
R: Minson. Liberatore, Wallis
Int: Hrovat, Hunter, Picken
Sub: Jong/Stevens/M.Boyd

Emg: Campbell, M.Boyd, Stevens, Webb (need some class and speed if a outside type drops out

It's funny how we all read it. I see Campbell ahead of Ayce and I have been a massive Ayce man all along. But unless Ayce can learn to mark over head then he ends up just being a tall guy with some agility. Campbell can mark it, we've seen him do it.

I want to see Ayce working one on one with whoever....in marking duals, in packs and teach him to use his height and reach to advantage. It's just about all he should be doing at training other than the odd skill drills.
Campbell is definitely ahead, I just think Cordy's a more exciting prospect.

If he can't mark over his head in 2015, his AFL career is over, but if he can iron out those physical deficiencies, I think he could become a similar type of player to Dean Cox; a tall, super agile ruckman, which can be a very useful asset.
i really like grant, and i want him to make it. but he's onto his third coach now? he's been counselled by gia, baked by boyd and cuddled by murph (our captain believes that the main issue is that his drive to be good and live up to his own standards is the main reason he ain't - he gets in his own head). what grant can do isn't in question, but one good game in 6 doesn't cut. i'd have traded him out two years ago, and now unfortunately he's delist material.
I don't disagree with any of that, but I do think he should be given a chance & start in round 1.

Campbell is definitely ahead, I just think Cordy's a more exciting prospect.

If he can't mark over his head in 2015, his AFL career is over, but if he can iron out those physical deficiencies, I think he could become a similar type of player to Dean Cox; a tall, super agile ruckman, which can be a very useful asset.

I don't disagree with any of that, but I do think he should be given a chance & start in round 1.

The major problem for me is he lacks the size/strength of a Dean Cox and then when he tries to put on size he loses his agility. The one AFL game he played he was easily out muscled by the Sydney ruckman.

The major problem for me is he lacks the size/strength of a Dean Cox and then when he tries to put on size he loses his agility. The one AFL game he played he was easily out muscled by the Sydney ruckman.
Is it really impossible for him to add size whilst retaining most of his agility? If Dean Cox can do it, so can Ayce.

It's all a matter of getting through an excellent pre-season with little to no injuries. This could finally be his big break.

Is it really impossible for him to add size whilst retaining most of his agility? If Dean Cox can do it, so can Ayce.

It's all a matter of getting through an excellent pre-season with little to no injuries. This could finally be his big break.

I'm not sure what weight Cox was when he got to the club, but I know Ayce was somewhere around in the 70's kg area, meaning he would need to put on 30/40 kg which is a massive ask. You can gain weight and retain your agility, but 30/40 kg's just seems too much for him. I'm pretty sure he's had 2 full pre seasons injury free from reports. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Excuse me for this little indulgence.

Reading all the angst about drafting a mosquito fleet, I thought I'd put a little spin on what our current playing list is capable of.

Mods I wasn't sure where else to put this post but it does contain players I believe will play Round 1, 2015.

There's a secondary stoppage in the centre square.

Libba wins the hardball and handballs it to Wallis, who breaks a tackle and is clear. He takes a bounce to steady and knows Macrae is running beside him on his left. Hrovat is running in support to his right. Wallis sees further to his left, Bontempelli has come off the interchange and is in yards of space, waving his hands, desperate for the ball. He hears the familiar call from his skipper wanting him to float a handball over his right shoulder for a ping from outside fifty as he streams forward.

Of the forwards, Boyd has stayed in the goal square as instructed, while Crameri has lead to the fat side of the ground. His opponent has sagged off to double team Boyd.

Stringer leads to the boundary line to make room.

Lukey D and Hunter are licking their lips as they jog towards Boyd and his opponent/s.

What does Mitch Wallis do?

I'm sure there'll be smart arse responses to this little match simulation but that can't be helped.

Any how, after watching Caleb Daniel's highlights vid, I wouldn't mind him having the ball as they stream forward. He'd make the right decision.

New Cheer Squad Chant idea:

WOOF THERE IT IS
WOOF THERE IT IS.
WOOF THERE IT IS.

Sorry it's a Saturday night, I'm bored and reading all the stuff about how crap the drafting has been of these young fellas I'll be meeting
on Monday has just depressed me.

Go Dogs.

Last edited:
Sorry it's a Saturday night, I'm bored and reading all the stuff about how crap the drafting has been of these young fellas I'll be meeting on Monday has just depressed me.
It is depressing. People form opinions based on nothing but hearsay and height and proceed to criticise talented young guys simply because they're at our club, and not necessarily by choice.

I'm confident that the coaches and playing group will provide a nurturing environment for them, but not much will prepare them for the mindless abuse of the mentally deficient following a loss.

For every stupid campaigner, there are ten supporters that love having them at the club - I hope they'll come to learn that. I'm looking forward to meeting them on Monday, it's always exciting having a few new Bulldogs to cheer for.

I think the reaction to each of the individual players themselves has been pretty positive in the main, it's mostly the overall strategy at the draft that's been questioned. One thing that I think has exacerbated things is the fact that Zaine Cordy was a father son and we knew we were drafting him some time beforehand, which put it into people's mind that he somehow didn't count and we didn't draft any talls at all.

Also just to point out I do agree that we were perhaps a tall light in the draft, but I'm not going to blow my lid with potentially another three new players to be added in the rookie draft.

Anyway I think I'm going off topic a bit so I'll leave it there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For every stupid campaigner, there are ten supporters that love having them at the club - I hope they'll come to learn that. I'm looking forward to meeting them on Monday, it's always exciting having a few new Bulldogs to cheer for.
But unfortunately that stupid campaigner is usually a lot more vocal than the ten supporters that love having them at the club, which sucks.

But unfortunately that stupid campaigner is usually a lot more vocal than the ten supporters that love having them at the club, which sucks.
Spot on. It's infuriating, but unfortunately, people feel entitled to be cruel to the current custodians - as if they're assigning blame for their pent-up footballing frustrations to the guys trying their best on the field.

Morris - Roughead - Wood
Murphy - Talia - jj
Macrae - Liberatore - Dale
Crameri - Cordy - Hunter
Dahlhaus - Boyd - Stringer
Minson - Wallis Bonti
Smith - Stevens - Honeychurch

Sub Boyd

Who else gets the feeling Caleb Daniel will play allot of footy in the seniors this year?

Ah.....how many times have a fallen for this old chest nut....but here I go again. I think he will because we are going to need someone like him who can use it on the outside. I think he's the type who will adjust quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back