2016 NAB Challenge (General Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Kersten's options are easy. Third forward. Be ready when Menzel's knee plays up, then outperform him.
Exactly, you've got Hawkins and Clark/Vardy/Stanley taking the best 2 defenders. If you're 191cm and 92kg and you can't make it work with those measurements... and the pace he has....

You a writing his epitaph ...he is not good enough to be forward only..very few are now. Hawkins is the only one at Geelong I think.

Who is writing his epitaph? Has he ever played anywhere besides the forward line? I sometimes think people think if an idea gets mentioned enough it becomes true. He's a winger now then, so who makes way out of Motlop or Duncan? Or half back flanker? Sure, get either Thurlow, Mackie, Enright or (shudder) Bartel to go. That's where this thinking ends. Whereas in a forward pocket or flank, he needs Menzel to need rest due to his knee. Somehow I think that is more likely.

It's funny that in this obsession with versatility, how our three best players are good in only one position. Hawkins is only a key forward, Selwood is only a midfielder, and Taylor is only a key defender. This hasn't stopped them all becoming incredible players.

Who is writing his epitaph? Has he ever played anywhere besides the forward line? I sometimes think people think if an idea gets mentioned enough it becomes true. He's a winger now then, so who makes way out of Motlop or Duncan? Or half back flanker? Sure, get either Thurlow, Mackie, Enright or (shudder) Bartel to go. That's where this thinking ends. Whereas in a forward pocket or flank, he needs Menzel to need rest due to his knee. Somehow I think that is more likely.

It's funny that in this obsession with versatility, how our three best players are good in only one position. Hawkins is only a key forward, Selwood is only a midfielder, and Taylor is only a key defender. This hasn't stopped them all becoming incredible players.

Im not sure I agree with Taylor and Selwood...but no matter... all three mentioned are exception players. If Kersten can reach their level then he probably will be able to play just one role. I guess at his size we are talking a Tex Walker type performance. Lonergan has probably only one role too but its wasn't what his original role was intended to be.He adapted and became a long term player for us.

I dont see Kersten making it as a pure forward only player at Geelong so in that sense , in my own opinion , to say its forward or nought then to me thats not a great portent for his future. I feel he will struggle to get selected and then struggle to stay in the side as a pure forward. To play AFL now it almost mandatory to have a couple of strings to your bow. On a current assessment of what he has done so far , I think he needs to add something to his game or he will not be a regular afl player.

The wing role was just a silly remark that was not meant to be taken seriously.

To me Kersten either makes it as a forward or he doesn't make it. He's not a midfielder and he's not a defender.
I like Shane and want to make it but this IMO is right…
Its #3Forward that pushes up the ground providing leading marking options and doubles back. Also kicks them from long range. Cant see him anywhere else.

GO Catters

Kerstens main issue this year is a fit Dan Menzel, the only position he could play in our current team is occupied by Dan.

Kerstens main issue this year is a fit Dan Menzel, the only position he could play in our current team is occupied by Dan.

I tend to agree - but with that I also think its reasonable to suggest that Menz will be managed - and provided that is the only issue he should see between 10 - 16 games. That leaves the door ajar for someone. His chances are there.

Go Catters

Watching Kersten at training he appears to have trimmed down and worked on his running more this off season, would suggest a HFF Leading up position. As suggested Menz may be managed so Kersten may get 4-5 games.

Due to reduced seating with the Brownlow and Social Club stands being destroyed, they predict that many will miss out. To guarantee your seat they suggested that members upgrade to a reserved seat for an extra $10 (plus fees).
So if I want a GA seat then I need to book weeks in advance?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nah' he'll play about 15 games I reckon. Book mark it.
I hope he gets games that he has earned this year... if that is 15 then fantastic as it means he is contributing... but so far I feel most of his games he has been fortunate to get, or at least fortunate to hold his spot

I tend to agree - but with that I also think its reasonable to suggest that Menz will be managed - and provided that is the only issue he should see between 10 - 16 games. That leaves the door ajar for someone. His chances are there.

Go Catters
Diaz, it's touching the hope you hold out for K.

Mind you, saw his goal after the siren on that frigid day when menz returned at Werribee. He can play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Diaz, it's touching the hope you hold out for K.

Mind you, saw his goal after the siren on that frigid day when menz returned at Werribee. He can play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And that's what I want to see... Him play.. He needed to get fitter and get involved more.

It's this year or bust for him. He's got the talent and skills.. Needs to show it..

Go Catters

Do we have any updates on Shane's pre-season?

My concern has been his knees not allowing him to do the work in pre-season to get his fitness base to a level it needs to be.
He's just about the only player on the list who hasn't recieved some puff somewhere. Even podge lucey has been profiled by the club so far. Is no news good news?

He's just about the only player on the list who hasn't recieved some puff somewhere. Even podge lucey has been profiled by the club so far. Is no news good news?
I hope it said he has aspirations to become the next Wayne Carey.

So if I want a GA seat then I need to book weeks in advance?

"Access to NAB Challenge matches is subject to capacity and is not guaranteed. The AFL notes that this venue has a limited capacity and demand for this match strongly recommends that all members guarantee their entry by using their membership card to register. Member registrations are subject to availability on a first come, first serve basis and subject to an additional fee. Transaction fees may also apply."

http://www.afl.com.au/tickets/venues/simonds-stadium

Exactly, you've got Hawkins and Clark/Vardy/Stanley taking the best 2 defenders. If you're 191cm and 92kg and you can't make it work with those measurements... and the pace he has....

He has obvious attributes as above and an incredible leg - even if he has slimmed down he is still a big build for a guy his size.
I would like to see him impose himself more by both demanding the footy and bringing more physicality to his game. He just plays too timid for my liking , needs to play a lot more on the edge , wouldn't even care if he got cited for a reckless bump or two to be honest ;)

"Access to NAB Challenge matches is subject to capacity and is not guaranteed. The AFL notes that this venue has a limited capacity and demand for this match strongly recommends that all members guarantee their entry by using their membership card to register. Member registrations are subject to availability on a first come, first serve basis and subject to an additional fee. Transaction fees may also apply."

http://www.afl.com.au/tickets/venues/simonds-stadium
What about the real games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back