B: Brown - Talia - Lever
HB: Smith - Hartigan - Laird
C: Douglas - Thompson - Seedsman
HF: Lynch - Walker - Cameron
F: Betts - Jenkins - Menzel
R: Jacobs - Sloane - B.Crouch
Int: M.Crouch - Grigg - Knight - CEY

Emergency: Lyons - Otten - Milera/VB

Overall very balanced side, last season we had obvious strengths in our midfield and forward line but our defence was lacking. This year our defence seems very solid with most players being one of the best in their positions. Our forward line remains just as potent and with the addition of Menzel adding to our attacking power, personally I'm expecting walker to have a career best year. Our midfield may no longer have superstar attraction of PD but is far more balanced, fast and skilful. I also expect every mid besides thommo to improve on last season.

Unsure on Menzel, certainly not raising heads this pre season but im pretty sure he's yet to miss a session and he seems the kind of player to impress more in the nab challenge so I decided to add him.

Round 1 Side

Unsure on Menzel, certainly not raising heads this pre season but im pretty sure he's yet to miss a session and he seems the kind of player to impress more in the nab challenge so I decided to add him.

I wonder if Menzel is just one of those players who doesnt train well (Swann, Jarman ect) but when it comes to game time he is ready to go

I wonder if Menzel is just one of those players who doesnt train well (Swann, Jarman ect) but when it comes to game time he is ready to go
He was slack on a few runs, He still not mentally over his injury and pulls up or slows down on the twinge. He's at a new club and wants to play a full season and he does not want to stuff up his pre season with another injury. Basically he has a few training demons to fight thru. Seen it before with athletics returning from hip, knee and ankle injuries.
Maybe one of the reasons the club talks to him but not punish him. We don't know
Watch his face at training, look at the direction he looks when slowing down, look at where his hands go when not involved, notice he turns shaper in one direction than the other, He also slowed down to a stretch jog during the time trial.
All I can say is wait and see, Give the Kid a chance to prove his worth. And have some trust in the coaches and fitness staff, if fit he will play. Because we know he has the skills.
I need to qualify this by saying I am not a doctor, I have however spent time training others at a high standard. where they need that mental edge to get the most out of training, And these are just my views after watching the Kid.

He was slack on a few runs, He still not mentally over his injury and pulls up or slows down on the twinge. He's at a new club and wants to play a full season and he does not want to stuff up his pre season with another injury. Basically he has a few training demons to fight thru. Seen it before with athletics returning from hip, knee and ankle injuries.
Maybe one of the reasons the club talks to him but not punish him. We don't know
Watch his face at training, look at the direction he looks when slowing down, look at where his hands go when not involved, notice he turns shaper in one direction than the other, He also slowed down to a stretch jog during the time trial.
All I can say is wait and see, Give the Kid a chance to prove his worth. And have some trust in the coaches and fitness staff, if fit he will play. Because we know he has the skills.
I need to qualify this by saying I am not a doctor, I have however spent time training others at a high standard. where they need that mental edge to get the most out of training, And these are just my views after watching the Kid.
Give this man a badge .....excellent quality post ....are you sure you're a Crows supporter???

You hear very little of that these days .....days gone by, you heard that all the time .....can't get away with that now

Give this man a badge .....excellent quality post ....are you sure you're a Crows supporter???
You say this like there are no quality posters on this board!

Speak for yourself... :p

How's about T. Menzel for M. Wright, we'd have been dreaming of that all of last year, now it's finally happened. We were still kicking loads of goals whilst carrying a non statistical (LOL, I still laugh about this term) role player in our forward line for half the year.

Hopefully the same applies for VB & MacKay.

Ok, here's my go at our round 1 side. It's not necessarily who I'd pick but also who I think the coaches will pick

B: Brown Talia Lever
HB: Laird Hartigan Smith
C: Hampton Thommo Knight
HF: Cameron Tex Lynch
F: Betts Jenkins Milera
R: Jacobs B.Crouch Sloane

I: Douglas VB Gore M.Crouch

E: CEY Seedsman Grigg Lyons

Notes:

VB: The prime example of who I think will play vs. who I want to play. I wouldn't pick him but I can't see the coaches not picking him. At least to start off with anyway until hopefully guys like Gore/Seed/CEY demand his spot.

Milera: We're hearing good things about him so he'll start round 1 IMO. Will play the first half dozen games or so then might start to fade and get a rest through the SANFL when by that time hopefully Menzel has hopefully built some form/fitness and can take his place. I think Menzel might take a little longer to adapt to our regime coming from Carlton and injuries last year which is totally fine. He's got time.

Hampton: this was a 50/50 call between him and Seedsman for a spot on the wing. Whoever has recovered from injury quicker and is ready to go.

CEY: I desperately want him to play as I rate him. He's a lovely size and is something we don't have much of. Hope I'm wrong and he gets games.

Gore: he'll surprise and play round 1. Ready to go.

Knight: he's a gun. He'll get more minutes on a wing/outside mid-role this year with rests up forward in a step up from his role as a hard running, high half forward last year. Rory Sloane Mk II:hearts::hearts:.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knight: he's a gun. He'll get more minutes on a wing/outside mid-role this year with rests up forward in a step up from his role as a hard running, high half forward last year. Rory Sloane Mk II:hearts::hearts:.
This guy really came from the clouds .....i don't think anyone at the start of 2015 thought he'd be that good

You're right though ...looks like a quicker version of Sloane .....loved his temperament in the big games & loves tackling

Round 7 side when the dust settles.

HB: Henderson Hartigan Laird
C: Smith Thommo Hampton
HF: Lynch Tex Douglas
F: Betts Jenkins Menzel

I: Jaensch Seedsman Gore M.Crouch

E: CEY Cameron Knight VB

Cameron might get squeezed out if the recruits perform.
Except for M. Crouch the Interchange and Emergencies could be rotated.

No chance Cameron getting squeezed out IMO, he finished top 10 in our B&F and will be an even better player this year

I can't see Matty J being in our side by round 7

new toyitis is now officially out of control

I can't see why this bothers you so much, everyone has their own 22 in mind with varying views

However you seem to raise your skirt every time someone selects the majority of our new recruits
When I see posts like Charlie Cameron, an integral member of our first 18, being replaced around R7 by our new re recruits - then yeah I will comment on such nonsense.

Just like you did:)

OK having a crack at this

Round 1 Side

B: Brown - Talia - Lever
HB: Seedsman - Hartigan - Laird
C: Hampton - Thompson - Smith
HF: Lynch - Walker - Douglas
F: Betts - Jenkins - Cameron
R: Jacobs - Sloane - B.Crouch
Int: M.Crouch - Grigg - Knight - Wigg

Emergency from: Lyons - Otten - Milera - VB - Menzel

This is what I think may happen, drawn from attending 1 training session and over analyzing every crow articles my footy starved brain could find.
On the new inclusions
I would love Menzel in, and he looked sharp at the open session but reports are fitness still a work in progress, I think this is a recovering from injury issue not an attitude thing, cause from what I saw he wants this. so he is on the emergency list.
The Seed I'm probably the least confidant including, get very little on the "vibe". didn't train when I was there and a lot of media silence. My hope is he will sit across halfback and free Smith up into the midfield
Hampton I am thinking will be the recruit of the year, looks strong and ready to explode. He was originally recruited to GWS as a mid and I think that is where he will play with us. The impression I get is CLASS. One of his highlights that made me sit up an go "WOW" was the Sydney game where he ran the boundary, held the ball out 1 handed, came back in and kicked it lace out to a forward "1 HAND ON THE BALL!"
Wiggy I think could well be the smokey inclusion, He was named by a coach that just doesn't name. Has the rep of silky skills and really started to make a mark in the SANFL at the end of last year.
Milera may also push for a spot in the 1st 22, I watched a couple of his SANFL games last year and that final was outstanding. Was ecstatic when we picked him up, But it's a big thing for a 1st year player to crack a team contending for the finals round 1.

When I see posts like Charlie Cameron, an integral member of our first 18, being replaced around R7 by our new re recruits - then yeah I will comment on such nonsense.

Just like you did:)

Point of difference is that I put forward my opinion on players and Charlie is a good example however I don't refer to our new recruits as new toys or brand people's opinions as Toyitis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back